VOGONS


The Ultimate 486 Benchmark Comparison

Topic actions

Reply 360 of 375, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

I like how this thread slowly morphed into a "show off your otherwise stock high-clock 486 rigs" thing. Not complaining, just an observation.
TBH the "ultimate ___" meme, in 2026 at least, is strictly for market speculation purposes anyway.

Anyway, I might as well post the results I get with my MV035F-based Am5x86-P75 setup, running on 40MHz FSB at 160MHz.
Motherboard: EDOM/Wintech MV035F /w OPTi 82C802GA chipset
CPU: AMD Am5x86-P75 running at "P90" equivalent speed, 160MHz; 40MHz FSB
RAM: 16MB 30-pin FPM SIMMs
Cache: 256KB, dual-banks, made out of UMC data SRAMs and a wonky little Winbond 16Kx8 TAG
VGA: Cirrus Logic CL-GD5434 VLB, 2MB FPM
Sound card: Some ESS thing, due to be changed to an OPTi 82C930 (due to me needing a second IDE interface for the optical drive)
HDD: Quantum Fireball 540AT 516MB thing
OS: Windows 95 RTM upgraded to 'OSR 1'

Results:
3Dbench 1.0C: 82.5 FPS
PCPlayer benchmark: 21.1 FPS @ 320x200, 7.8 FPS @ 640x480
Doom timedemo: 2134 gametics in 1641 realtics (FastDoom knocks this down to 1076 realtics)
Speedsys: CPU: 58.22; RAM: 92.46MB/s L1, 54.90MB/s L2, 32.97MB/s off-cache; VESA Memory: 2048KB (15765 KB/s), HDD: Average/Max seek 10.39 / 15.27 ms, Random seek: 8.53 ms, Track-to-track 2.18 ms, Random access 15.88 ms, linear verify speed 1878KB/s
Cachechk:Reading: 1-16KB 7 uS/KB, 32-256KB 15 uS/KB, off-cache 29 uS/KB; Writing: 20 uS/KB across the board; Results: 164.9MB/s L1, 74.4MB/s L2, 38.4MB/s off-cache

Pretty hum-drum compared to the garish (meant in a good way) results common of this thread, but it sure feels nice. The OPTi 82C895/801/802 isn't about to win any benchmark awards for its stellar off-cache throughput, but it handles 40MHz FSB reasonably well once you've sussed the cache (dual banks or bust). Long-term longevity remains an open question mark. We'll see if this one disintegrates at high FSB like so many SiS and UMC 486 chipsets do.

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 361 of 375, by JAKra85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

I want to enter in this Ultimate 486 Benchmark Comparison with: "The Monster!" 😁 (Am5x86@200MHz@50MHz BUS)

Results:
PCPlayer benchmark: 23.2 FPS @ 320x200

Doom timedemo:
On min. details: 337FPS
On max. details: 128FPS
(Edit: These Doom numbers look very suspicious on the S3 Virge with corruption visible, could not replicate with ATi 3D Rage IIC. Made screen pictures so this is what it was reported... Will check again later.)

Speedsys:
CPU: 74.97;
163.17MB/s L1
50.41MB/s L2
37.42MB/s off-cache.

Quake timedemo: 17,8FPS
Edit:
Not done tinkering: with 512K cache and ATi 3D Rage IIC (PCI) I got Quake: 18.6 FPS!
(no more corruption either!)

The attachment 20260914_111552.jpg is no longer available

Edit II:
Am5x86-P75-S @ 200MHz + ATi Radeon 7000 (PCI) 64MB DDR
Fully stable in DOS (so far).

The attachment 20260914_114953.jpg is no longer available

(Quake is still 18.6 FPS. Need better SIMMs)

Just completed today:
Re: I think I found a unicorn! Am5x86-P75-S @ 200MHz @ 3,45V (Edit:Now I really did!)

Still need better SIMM modules and better(?) video card that might handle PCI@50MHz with no artifacts. 😁

Retro PC Gallery:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ara32t4rV … nU/edit?tab=t.0

Reply 362 of 375, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your Quake results are sub-optimal for a hot rod 486 at 200 MHz. Maybe try to optimise at 180 MHz first. My Am5x86-180 gets 21.1 fps in DOS Quake.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 363 of 375, by JAKra85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
feipoa wrote on 2026-09-14, 11:25:

Your Quake results are sub-optimal for a hot rod 486 at 200 MHz. Maybe try to optimise at 180 MHz first. My Am5x86-180 gets 21.1 fps in DOS Quake.

I agree and I *think* I am hindered by these RAMs.
For this PC I think this is very low. Bandwidth is ~88MB.
I've had better on a different mainboard @100MHz.

The attachment 20260913_225333.jpg is no longer available

As I've seen while testing timings and stuff that Quake is very memory/cache sensitive.

Last edited by JAKra85 on 2026-09-14, 13:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Retro PC Gallery:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ara32t4rV … nU/edit?tab=t.0

Reply 364 of 375, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JAKra85 wrote on 2026-09-14, 12:27:
I agree and I *think* I am hindered by these RAMs. For this PC I think this is very low. Bandwidth is ~88MB. I've had better on […]
Show full quote
feipoa wrote on 2026-09-14, 11:25:

Your Quake results are sub-optimal for a hot rod 486 at 200 MHz. Maybe try to optimise at 180 MHz first. My Am5x86-180 gets 21.1 fps in DOS Quake.

I agree and I *think* I am hindered by these RAMs.
For this PC I think this is very low. Bandwidth is ~88MB.
I've had better on a different mainboard @100MHz.

The attachment 20260913_225333.jpg is no longer available

As I've seen Quake while testing timings and stuff is very memory/cache sensitive.

8MB RAM is not optimal for Q1 (I use 32-64MB of fast FPM RAM), VESA memory bandwidth with S3 VIRGE/DX is up to 28000 if VIRGE/DX clocked up to 75MHz (I use MCLK utility)
Overall CACHE/RAM performance very depends on BIOS settings so pls give us screenshots of their settings

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 365 of 375, by JAKra85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
Babasha wrote on 2026-09-14, 12:33:

8MB RAM is not optimal for Q1 (I use 32-64MB of fast FPM RAM), VESA memory bandwidth with S3 VIRGE/DX is up to 28000 if VIRGE/DX clocked up to 75MHz (I use MCLK utility)
Overall CACHE/RAM performance very depends on BIOS settings so pls give us screenshots of their settings

This is the best I could do. Swapped RAMs from another system. Now: 2x16MB (60ns).
Using 1WS on DRAM. With 0WS it does POST but won't boot.

Almost 20FPS. 😀

The attachment 20260914_145803.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 20260914_150056.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 20260914_150415.jpg is no longer available

Retro PC Gallery:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ara32t4rV … nU/edit?tab=t.0

Reply 366 of 375, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JAKra85 wrote on 2026-09-14, 13:11:
This is the best I could do. Swapped RAMs from another system. Now: 2x16MB (60ns). Using 1WS on DRAM. With 0WS it does POST but […]
Show full quote
Babasha wrote on 2026-09-14, 12:33:

8MB RAM is not optimal for Q1 (I use 32-64MB of fast FPM RAM), VESA memory bandwidth with S3 VIRGE/DX is up to 28000 if VIRGE/DX clocked up to 75MHz (I use MCLK utility)
Overall CACHE/RAM performance very depends on BIOS settings so pls give us screenshots of their settings

This is the best I could do. Swapped RAMs from another system. Now: 2x16MB (60ns).
Using 1WS on DRAM. With 0WS it does POST but won't boot.

Almost 20FPS. 😀

The attachment 20260914_145803.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 20260914_150056.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 20260914_150415.jpg is no longer available

Not so bad
Anyway BIOS is not not adjustment rich
What motherboard do you use?

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 367 of 375, by JAKra85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
feipoa wrote on 2026-09-14, 11:25:

Your Quake results are sub-optimal for a hot rod 486 at 200 MHz. Maybe try to optimise at 180 MHz first. My Am5x86-180 gets 21.1 fps in DOS Quake.

Do you run the RAM at 0 WS? What are the cache specs?

Last edited by JAKra85 on 2026-09-14, 16:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Retro PC Gallery:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ara32t4rV … nU/edit?tab=t.0

Reply 369 of 375, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JAKra85 wrote on 2026-09-14, 15:03:
Babasha wrote on 2026-09-14, 14:40:

Not so bad
Anyway BIOS is not not adjustment rich
What motherboard do you use?

It's this Soyo board:
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/soyo-sy-4saw

Can you try attached by me BIOS ?
It requires to be flashed in 29EE010 flash chip (not OTP ROM chip)

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 371 of 375, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JAKra85 wrote on 2026-09-14, 15:02:
feipoa wrote on 2026-09-14, 11:25:

Your Quake results are sub-optimal for a hot rod 486 at 200 MHz. Maybe try to optimise at 180 MHz first. My Am5x86-180 gets 21.1 fps in DOS Quake.

Do you run the RAM at 0 WS? What are the cache specs?

Single stick of 64 MB EDO, I think 50 or 60 ns using TSOP chips.

DRAM at 1 ws read, 0 ws write
SRAM at 2-1-2

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 372 of 375, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is an AMD 5x86 in the same category as an 486 CPU ?

Reply 373 of 375, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2026-09-23, 19:50:

Is an AMD 5x86 in the same category as an 486 CPU ?

Basically it's a 486 core.

Thread starter also includes it in the original benchmark data set as per: Re: The Ultimate 486 Benchmark Comparison and download/file.php?id=9211

If it's dual it's kind of cool ... 😎

--- GA586DX --- P2B-DS --- BP6 ---

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 374 of 375, by manton-ro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hello

i am new on Vogons community, aplogize if this is not the right topic to ask.

I bought an Intel 486DX4-100 (Green letters) cpu and i want to ask what can a be a very good motherboard to build the system
Many thanks

Reply 375 of 375, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
manton-ro wrote on Today, 15:10:
Hello […]
Show full quote

Hello

i am new on Vogons community, aplogize if this is not the right topic to ask.

I bought an Intel 486DX4-100 (Green letters) cpu and i want to ask what can a be a very good motherboard to build the system
Many thanks

Something like Lucky Star LS-486E - not so rare and very trouble-free

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉