Reply 20 of 33, by NeoG_
2mg wrote on 2026-09-15, 03:24:3. I'm asking because I've LG Flatron F900P and Samsung SyncMaster 900IFT (both are CRTs) and they both (in OSD and manual) recommend 1280 x 1024@ 85Hz, which is 16:10, so if I run games in that resolution should I stretch to 4:3 or not?
I'm talking for games that were after Doom that could use multiple resolutions, so if I pick 1280x1024, do I live with black bars, or do I stretch it?
There's no reason you need to strictly adhere to the recommendation on a CRT like you did with an LCD. For an LCD there is only one mode where the picture is sharp, which is the native resolution of the pixel grid. For a CRT monitor, even if the recommended mode is 1280x1024, you can use nearby true 4:3 resolutions like 1280x960, 1152x864 and 1024x768 without any significant reduction in image sharpness.
The side quest of talking about 200/400 line graphics like Doom is pretty much irrelevant to what you are really asking here, which is what the best image mode is to use on your 2 CRT monitors
98/DOS Rig: BabyAT AladdinV, K6-2+/550, V3 2000, 128MB PC100, 20GB HDD, 128GB SD2IDE, SB Live!, SB16-SCSI, PicoGUS, WP32 McCake, iNFRA CD, ZIP100
XP Rig: Lian Li PC-10 ATX, Gigabyte X38-DQ6, Core2Duo E6850, ATi HD5870, 2GB DDR2, 2TB HDD, X-Fi XtremeGamer