VOGONS


Dell 2007fpb issue

Topic actions

First post, by sydres

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

I have one of the Dell 2007fpb IPS monitors. The monitor mostly gets used for win98 games but since it's easy to get to, it gets used for building and testing other systems. Last week I was testing a underclocked pentium ii with a tnt2 m64 pci card I use for dos games.
After about ten minutes use the monitor went blank then the Dell splash screen came on then it switched back to the computer output a few minutes later, it did this again. I assumed the power supply was marginal and not delivering stable power and shut it down. This week I was running it back on its normal system which is an athlon xp with a GeForce 4 ti 4200 that has ran stable for several years and the monitor started doing the restart thing again. At this point I decided it must be an issue with the monitor itself but to be sure I tested it with a thin client and got the same results.
Has anyone had similar issues with this model? From the preliminary searches I'm finding a few common problems, none of which are this problem. Should I check capacitors? I have tried a different VGA cable but haven't tried DVI.

Reply 1 of 4, by ott

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
sydres wrote on 2026-09-15, 04:32:

Should I check capacitors?

Yes, the built-in power supply needs to be checked first.

sydres wrote on 2026-09-15, 04:32:

I have tried a different VGA cable but haven't tried DVI.

I would stop trying to turn it on with other cables, video cards, etc., as the issue could get worse.
A faulty high voltage capacitor can damage other components.

Reply 2 of 4, by momaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Past the late 90's, very few LCD monitors came with known good Japanese electrolytic capacitors.

So chances are likely that the monitor's PSU is due for a recap. Or, on more rare occasions, it could also be failed electrolytic capacitors on the video/logic converter board too.

I'm sure there are probably threads about this on badcaps.net... but IMO it's better to open up the monitor and post some good pictures of the circuit boards here so that we can see exactly what you are dealing with.

Reply 3 of 4, by sydres

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Thank you for the answers.i opened the monitor and found that it has a single obviously bad 220 microfarad 25v electrolytic on the power board, slightly bulged. I didn't have any of that size in my parts supply so I ordered some. The logic board had what looked like fungus on it, it's probably just dried out leftover flux but had the look of fungus on old optics. I cleaned that with isopropanol. The other boards look good. Now I have to find where I put the replacement tips for my soldering station.

Reply 4 of 4, by sydres

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

After testing it appears that Replacing the capacitor seems to have fixed the issue. I did have to spend whet seemed an excessive amount of time to get the old solder to melt probably should have done a preheat. And as usual it took longer to reassemble than the actual repair.