VOGONS


First post, by morglum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to install windows 98 on my Pentium III. I tried 4 times and I always successfully install Win98, then it reboots, then I get a black screen with a blinking cursor.
Same problem in safe mode.
Bootlog.txt 's last line is "device loaded successfully IFSHLP.SYS".

Hardware:
Pentium III 750 MHz (Via Apollo 133 chipset)
(suspect #1?) 16GB M.2 SATA SSD with a M.2 to IDE adapter. I have used the same drive/adapter combo to install win98 in my other machine, a k7s5a Pro v5.
512 MB RAM
Riva TNT AGP
onboard sound

Installation method:
boot to win98's cd ccommand prompt with cd-rom support
fdisk
create primary DOS partition
format C:
c:
md win98
cd win98
d:
cd win98
copy *.* c:
c:
setup.exe

Installation completed, i've seen the little drum icon with "system device setup" , i've seen the installing drivers for non-pnp hardware, etc... then it reboots and i see the splash screen for a second and then BOOM blank screen.

Any idea?
should i just give up and get a compact flash card?

Reply 1 of 2, by NeoG_

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Might be worth trying the quickinstall method if the standard installer is having issues

https://github.com/oerg866/win98-quickinstall

98/DOS Rig: BabyAT AladdinV, K6-2+/550, V3 2000, 128MB PC100, 20GB HDD, 128GB SD2IDE, SB Live!, SB16-SCSI, PicoGUS, WP32 McCake, iNFRA CD, ZIP100
XP Rig: Lian Li PC-10 ATX, Gigabyte X38-DQ6, Core2Duo E6850, ATi HD5870, 2GB DDR2, 2TB HDD, X-Fi XtremeGamer

Reply 2 of 2, by morglum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I wasnt aware of this, will give it a try, thanks!