VOGONS


First post, by Richy1985

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Good afternoon,

I am trying to get an internal SCSI CD-ROM running on a Viglen 486 DT-PCI mainboard. There is a 50 pin connector with an IC chip nearby that reads 53C810.

I have downloaded the earlier v3.02 drivers from Vogons after trying the later drivers listed for this board on The Retro Web. Unfortunately I cannot get everything working. Both driver packages state support for the 53C810.

I have attached my config.sys and autoexec.bat entries, as well as the 50 pin header and possible nearby jumpers.

Thank you.

Reply 1 of 10, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure whether the BIOS is installed when you have no HDD connected.

Have you tried the ASPI8XX.SYS drivers in version 4.11.00 ?

I don't have them at hand, but I have done some experiments with SDMS drivers in 2021.
INT13 Extensions to SDMS 3.0 & 4.0 - SCSI by NCR / Symbios Logic / LSI Logic

Reply 2 of 10, by Richy1985

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Do you mean I also need to have an internal SCSI hard disk connected on the chain to get this setup to work? I only intend to use a SCSI CD-ROM. Version 4.00.00 caused my system to hang. Version 3.02 did not, so it stands to reason I that I should use the 3.02 version.

Thanks.

Reply 3 of 10, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just thought about a SDMS BIOS won't be installed without hard disk.
I haven't investigated this issue.
I think 3.xx drivers maybe don't load without BIOS, as read in your message.
Please just try the 4.xx driver stack with your old BIOS.

Reply 4 of 10, by Richy1985

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

There is a page in my BIOS settings dedicated to the NCR SCSI. I have it set to 'Enabled' and it is set to 'Master'. I have assigned the IRQ 15.

Reply 5 of 10, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never use full CAM support driver last 20 years.
I use minicam.sys + cdrom.sys from v.3.x drivers set.
DEVICE=C:<PATH>MINICAM.SYS
DEVICE=C:<PATH>CDROM.SYS /D:NAME

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 6 of 10, by Richy1985

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

My v3.02 driver package does not have a file called minicam.sys.

Reply 7 of 10, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Richy1985 wrote on 2026-09-20, 16:44:

My v3.02 driver package does not have a file called minicam.sys.

You can also use doscam.sys at the disadvantage that it uses a much bigger amount of conventional memory with no advantage for your use case. This should at least confirm whether your configuration works at all.

Reply 9 of 10, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not got any experience with that SCSI controller.
But this is in a era where controllers seem to like to ignore certain CDROM drives because you seem to be loading all the right drivers, but theres nothing there.