VOGONS


First post, by kainiakaria

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

What a combination 3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000 and AMD Duron 1.1 Ghz is.

20240127_143800.jpg?w=825&h=1100

The difference between the Intel Slot 01 Intel 440BX with the Intel Pentium III 650 Mhz Coppermine and the Duron is night and day. Unreal runs pretty smooth at 1024x768. Half-Life is also a great benchmark for this card.

20240325_164655.jpg?w=825&h=1100

I also have a settings guide for Half-Life as well.

https://kainiakaria.wordpress.com/half-life-visual-settings/

Reply 1 of 9, by The Solutor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

In the years, after K6 and before core2 duos, using an Intel CPU was just masochism.

They were either more expensive, hotter or less performant, or a combination of them, than AMD counterparts.

BTW your screenshots are not visible.

Reply 2 of 9, by NeoG_

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Solutor wrote on 2026-09-22, 01:12:

BTW your screenshots are not visible.

Working fine here

98/DOS Rig: BabyAT AladdinV, K6-2+/550, V3 2000, 128MB PC100, 20GB HDD, 128GB SD2IDE, SB Live!, SB16-SCSI, PicoGUS, WP32 McCake, iNFRA CD, ZIP100
XP Rig: Lian Li PC-10 ATX, Gigabyte X38-DQ6, Core2Duo E6850, ATi HD5870, 2GB DDR2, 2TB HDD, X-Fi XtremeGamer

Reply 3 of 9, by The Solutor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
NeoG_ wrote on 2026-09-22, 01:14:

Working fine here

Yeah, for some reasons Thorium don't like those links.

Vivaldi and waterfox show them.

Edit

It's not Thorium's fault it's wordpress that blocks Thorium's user agent. Like in the good old days when Opera had to use a fake IE user agent to access many websites, managed by dumb people.

Reply 4 of 9, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a Pentium 133 when I was in school, saved up for a while, my next machine was a Duron 800, you can say it was a very nice upgrade. Duron 1.1 you have might even have SSE support, so even better!

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 5 of 9, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mwdmeyer wrote on 2026-09-22, 04:36:

Duron 1.1 you have might even have SSE support

I was wondering which Duron models have SSE so checked a few SIV save files and it seems to be Model 7 (Morgan), but I also found a VIA 8363-686A motherboard with Model 7 without SSE!
It also looks like BIOS setup the CPU CPUID 80000004 as Athlon!
I suspect a later BIOS addresses this and enables SSE for the "Athlon". I wonder, does this happen on other motherboards?

file.php?id=249559

I think the VIA 8363-686A is actually a DFI AK74-EC as it reported 8363-686A-6A6LMD4EC-00.
The BIOS date was 03/22/2001 which is not listed.

Reply 6 of 9, by FullYes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
kainiakaria wrote on 2026-09-21, 23:18:
What a combination 3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000 and AMD Duron 1.1 Ghz is. […]
Show full quote

What a combination 3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000 and AMD Duron 1.1 Ghz is.

20240127_143800.jpg?w=825&h=1100

The difference between the Intel Slot 01 Intel 440BX with the Intel Pentium III 650 Mhz Coppermine and the Duron is night and day. Unreal runs pretty smooth at 1024x768. Half-Life is also a great benchmark for this card.

20240325_164655.jpg?w=825&h=1100

I also have a settings guide for Half-Life as well.

https://kainiakaria.wordpress.com/half-life-visual-settings/

With this board you can also run a much faste cpu. 1.67Ghz Athlon XP 2000+ or 1.73Ghz 2100+ should be a drop-in

My Athlon System uses the same chipset. With the right CPU even faster is possible. But actually 1.7 GHz is pretty optimal price vs performance

System 1: K6-3+ 600MHz! MS-5158 (430TX), Voodoo3, AWE64
System 2: Athlon XP-M 2800+ SL-75KAV (KT133A) FX5200
System 3: 775i65g (work in progress) FX5900XT
System 4: i7-2600k, P8P67-M, GTX 460

Reply 7 of 9, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From what I've used, Slot A Athlons ranging from 600 MHz and up, Pluto and Thunderbird, seem to run V3s fairly smooth as well. I'm planning on a rebuild of that machine (as I have the HDD, CPU, RAM, GPU, sound and LAN card but not a mobo) as soon as I can save up for a (seemingly NOS) Gigabyte 7IXE from the UK.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: R5 1600, MSI X470 Gaming+ MAX, 16GB RAM, 3TB
98SE : P3 1000, ASUS CUBX-E, 768MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 8 of 9, by kainiakaria

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
PcBytes wrote on 2026-09-22, 17:50:

From what I've used, Slot A Athlons ranging from 600 MHz and up, Pluto and Thunderbird, seem to run V3s fairly smooth as well. I'm planning on a rebuild of that machine (as I have the HDD, CPU, RAM, GPU, sound and LAN card but not a mobo) as soon as I can save up for a (seemingly NOS) Gigabyte 7IXE from the UK.

FullYes wrote on 2026-09-22, 17:42:
kainiakaria wrote on 2026-09-21, 23:18:
What a combination 3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000 and AMD Duron 1.1 Ghz is. […]
Show full quote

What a combination 3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000 and AMD Duron 1.1 Ghz is.

20240127_143800.jpg?w=825&h=1100

The difference between the Intel Slot 01 Intel 440BX with the Intel Pentium III 650 Mhz Coppermine and the Duron is night and day. Unreal runs pretty smooth at 1024x768. Half-Life is also a great benchmark for this card.

20240325_164655.jpg?w=825&h=1100

I also have a settings guide for Half-Life as well.

https://kainiakaria.wordpress.com/half-life-visual-settings/

With this board you can also run a much faste cpu. 1.67Ghz Athlon XP 2000+ or 1.73Ghz 2100+ should be a drop-in

My Athlon System uses the same chipset. With the right CPU even faster is possible. But actually 1.7 GHz is pretty optimal price vs performance

The nice thing about this motherboard is that it has an ISA slot so I can use the AWE64. Although I much prefer the Yamaha OPL3-SA since you're not dealing with Creative Labs shenanigans.

20240201_134519.jpg?w=825&h=1100

https://youtu.be/2LTd-jCtCuQ?si=vuwJphGePigRRQTv

https://youtu.be/TVMdE-6eFdE?si=zlzJcUtWooY9vONz

https://youtu.be/3Euj-kNdHyM?si=mxIp1hqERw3tKUMW

https://youtu.be/JvEC66MWDU0?si=Nxn8TJCjuHmtELde

https://youtu.be/HyhzHY6vVd4?si=6eeAt2K2OheeYam8

Although the AWE64's reverb and chorus set to 30 percent on the CQM FM sounds pretty nice though.

https://youtu.be/_wI6Wu4XDXA?si=BgsUE7LFBNXCIJxQ

Reply 9 of 9, by FullYes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Yeah I have an AWE 64 Value with 28MB RAM upgrade in my socket 7 - i did originally buy it for my Athlon, but I now have an Audigy 2 ZS in that. It's good to have the option!

System 1: K6-3+ 600MHz! MS-5158 (430TX), Voodoo3, AWE64
System 2: Athlon XP-M 2800+ SL-75KAV (KT133A) FX5200
System 3: 775i65g (work in progress) FX5900XT
System 4: i7-2600k, P8P67-M, GTX 460