VOGONS


First post, by Tyrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hi guys!

I've restored my grandparents old PC to Windows 98SE and decided to turn it into an era accurate gaming PC. Here are my current specs;

Intel Pentium 4 2600 MHz CPU
ATI Radeon 9600 XT 256MB
ASUS P4B-M Motherboard
768MB of RAM
Not sure if my hard drives are SSD or HDD but probably HDD

Most of the games I run on it such as AVP2, Half Life, Return to Castle Wolfenstein run smoothly on max graphics however games like Halo CE and Doom 3 (I got it running by hex editing the launcher) are quite choppy. For added detail Halo CE seems to be even choppier than Doom 3. Doom 3 is a little more funny, there's marginal difference between lowest resolution and max resolution with ultra settings or with low texture settings. It's usually just when lots of effects or enemies are on screen that it drops frames. Based on my setup where do you think my system is bottlenecking or which component being upgraded do you think will yield the biggest difference?

Reply 1 of 24, by Dothan Burger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
Tyrant wrote on 2026-09-23, 00:55:
Hi guys! […]
Show full quote

Hi guys!

I've restored my grandparents old PC to Windows 98SE and decided to turn it into an era accurate gaming PC. Here are my current specs;

Intel Pentium 4 2600 MHz CPU
ATI Radeon 9600 XT 256MB
ASUS P4B-M Motherboard
768MB of RAM
Not sure if my hard drives are SSD or HDD but probably HDD

Most of the games I run on it such as AVP2, Half Life, Return to Castle Wolfenstein run smoothly on max graphics however games like Halo CE and Doom 3 (I got it running by hex editing the launcher) are quite choppy. For added detail Halo CE seems to be even choppier than Doom 3. Doom 3 is a little more funny, there's marginal difference between lowest resolution and max resolution with ultra settings or with low texture settings. It's usually just when lots of effects or enemies are on screen that it drops frames. Based on my setup where do you think my system is bottlenecking or which component being upgraded do you think will yield the biggest difference?

I'd say with Doom 3 the GPU is holding you back and with Halo CE it's the CPU.

Reply 2 of 24, by Tyrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Dothan Burger wrote on 2026-09-23, 01:06:
Tyrant wrote on 2026-09-23, 00:55:
Hi guys! […]
Show full quote

Hi guys!

I've restored my grandparents old PC to Windows 98SE and decided to turn it into an era accurate gaming PC. Here are my current specs;

Intel Pentium 4 2600 MHz CPU
ATI Radeon 9600 XT 256MB
ASUS P4B-M Motherboard
768MB of RAM
Not sure if my hard drives are SSD or HDD but probably HDD

Most of the games I run on it such as AVP2, Half Life, Return to Castle Wolfenstein run smoothly on max graphics however games like Halo CE and Doom 3 (I got it running by hex editing the launcher) are quite choppy. For added detail Halo CE seems to be even choppier than Doom 3. Doom 3 is a little more funny, there's marginal difference between lowest resolution and max resolution with ultra settings or with low texture settings. It's usually just when lots of effects or enemies are on screen that it drops frames. Based on my setup where do you think my system is bottlenecking or which component being upgraded do you think will yield the biggest difference?

I'd say with Doom 3 the GPU is holding you back and with Halo CE it's the CPU.

I was thinking the same thing, CPU would be cheaper to upgrade I think. I was looking into other cards they've gotten pricey! Any recommendation on cards? ATI Radeon X800 XT looks pretty good.

Reply 3 of 24, by Dothan Burger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
Tyrant wrote on 2026-09-23, 01:12:
Dothan Burger wrote on 2026-09-23, 01:06:
Tyrant wrote on 2026-09-23, 00:55:
Hi guys! […]
Show full quote

Hi guys!

I've restored my grandparents old PC to Windows 98SE and decided to turn it into an era accurate gaming PC. Here are my current specs;

Intel Pentium 4 2600 MHz CPU
ATI Radeon 9600 XT 256MB
ASUS P4B-M Motherboard
768MB of RAM
Not sure if my hard drives are SSD or HDD but probably HDD

Most of the games I run on it such as AVP2, Half Life, Return to Castle Wolfenstein run smoothly on max graphics however games like Halo CE and Doom 3 (I got it running by hex editing the launcher) are quite choppy. For added detail Halo CE seems to be even choppier than Doom 3. Doom 3 is a little more funny, there's marginal difference between lowest resolution and max resolution with ultra settings or with low texture settings. It's usually just when lots of effects or enemies are on screen that it drops frames. Based on my setup where do you think my system is bottlenecking or which component being upgraded do you think will yield the biggest difference?

I'd say with Doom 3 the GPU is holding you back and with Halo CE it's the CPU.

I was thinking the same thing, CPU would be cheaper to upgrade I think. I was looking into other cards they've gotten pricey! Any recommendation on cards? ATI Radeon X800 XT looks pretty good.

I found NOS FireGL V7100's on Ebay that are basically X800XT's with a 5mhz downclock for $119. I bought two of them and ran one with windows 98, the performance was outstanding. In some tests they were better than a 7950GT.

Edit: Also NOS 7950GT for $55. They're listed at $69.99 but if you ad it to your cart I bet the seller will send you an offer for $55.00 plus $12 shipping.

Sorry I forgot AGP dang it.

Reply 4 of 24, by Tyrant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Dothan Burger wrote on 2026-09-23, 01:24:
I found NOS FireGL V7100's on Ebay that are basically X800XT's with a 5mhz downclock for $119. I bought two of them and ran one […]
Show full quote
Tyrant wrote on 2026-09-23, 01:12:
Dothan Burger wrote on 2026-09-23, 01:06:

I'd say with Doom 3 the GPU is holding you back and with Halo CE it's the CPU.

I was thinking the same thing, CPU would be cheaper to upgrade I think. I was looking into other cards they've gotten pricey! Any recommendation on cards? ATI Radeon X800 XT looks pretty good.

I found NOS FireGL V7100's on Ebay that are basically X800XT's with a 5mhz downclock for $119. I bought two of them and ran one with windows 98, the performance was outstanding. In some tests they were better than a 7950GT.

Edit: Also NOS 7950GT for $55. They're listed at $69.99 but if you ad it to your cart I bet the seller will send you an offer for $55.00 plus $12 shipping.

Sorry I forgot AGP dang it.

Yeah I don't have PCIe unfortunately

Reply 5 of 24, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
Tyrant wrote on 2026-09-23, 04:57:

Yeah I don't have PCIe unfortunately

Then get it. :P

I think the Nvidia 6000 series was the last to support AGP, if you want to go that route. (The 6200 supports full HD resolution in my W98SE build)

The high end ones are still pricey, but might be a bit cheaper than a Voodoo.

I was looking into getting a higher tier one before I learned that my motherboard and PSU might not be compatible.

Best check which AGP slot version you have, and the wattage ratings on your power supply.

Reply 6 of 24, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd say you're both CPU & GPU limited, but that's not necessarily such a bad thing. Both games require quite some oomph to achieve smooth performance by today's standards. First things first, while not top of the line, your system is perfectly fine.
Your CPU is most likely a Northwood 2.6 with a 400MHz FSB, the low FSB being a bit of a weakness, which is totally reasonable for the era you're looking at. You could of course try to upgrade, but I think your motherboard can't do anything higher than 400MHz FSB. That means the highest you could go would be the P4 3.0 GHz with a 400MHz FSB. That's only a 400MHz uplift and the FSB is already quite limiting. Not worth it IMO, I'd consider the platform you have already maxed out.

If you are interested in staying with socket 478 and increasing performance, any i865 based motherboard with a 800MHz FSB Northwood at 3.0 or 3.2 GHz will give you a decent boost in performance. Nothing to die for, but if you are attached to the platform and want to push it a bit more, the cost is not unreasonable.

Your GPU is also very good for that era. Radeon 9600 XT represents the top end of the 9600 series and handily beats all Nvidia GPUs during that era (GeForce FX or 5 series). The only real competition were ATi's own Radeon 9700 and 9800 cards. Of course, by 2004 Nvidia came out with the 6800 GT and later on the 6600 GT which was a fantastic mid-range card and that would indeed be faster (though 128MB VRAM is quite limiting). IMO 9600 XT for 2003-2004 is very period accurate for high performance within a reasonable budget (both then and now with the way some of the higher end cards are being priced!).

Halo is a port from the XBOX original game, but it makes use of Shader Model 2 features AFAIR. It is very demanding for GPUs of 2003 (the port came out in November of that year) and fairly demanding on CPUs as well. What resolution are you running it at? It's also not a particularly great port of the game. It breaks a few visual elements from the original and if you wish to run it at 60fps, keep in mind that animations are not interpolated, which means that you camera movement may be at 60fps but weapon and character animations will be at 30fps, making for a very odd experience. It always pulled me out of the experience.
May I suggest trying the Master Chief Collection on Steam? It has a pretty much perfect conversion of the original game.

As for Doom III, this was one of the most demanding games of 2004 along with Half-Life 2, Far Cry and a few others. Difference between Low and Ultra settings only affects Texture Quality AFAIR, so with 256MB it's normal that you don't really notice any difference in performance. Visual settings are actually hidden in Advanced Options within the game. These ought to influence how the game runs on your system.
I think your GPU is more than decent for this game. You should be getting really good performance at 800x600. 1024x768 might be pushing it a bit, but it's been a while since I tried it on Radeon hardware from that era.
The CPU is a bit more suspect here, and the fact that you mentioned it running the same no matter the resolution, leads me to believe that you are very CPU bound.
I suggest going with somewhat period correct drivers (from say mid 2005?) for your GPU and maybe taking a peek at the Doom 3 timedemo thread here on VOGONS, find a similar system to yours and see where you land performance wise.

All in all, I'd say you've got yourself a very decent system to play games up to 2004, maybe 2005. But expect games to drop frames here and there and not to get consistent 60fps. It's just how it was at the time!

Reply 7 of 24, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Garrett W wrote on 2026-09-23, 08:20:
I'd say you're both CPU & GPU limited, but that's not necessarily such a bad thing. Both games require quite some oomph to achie […]
Show full quote

I'd say you're both CPU & GPU limited, but that's not necessarily such a bad thing. Both games require quite some oomph to achieve smooth performance by today's standards. First things first, while not top of the line, your system is perfectly fine.
Your CPU is most likely a Northwood 2.6 with a 400MHz FSB, the low FSB being a bit of a weakness, which is totally reasonable for the era you're looking at. You could of course try to upgrade, but I think your motherboard can't do anything higher than 400MHz FSB. That means the highest you could go would be the P4 3.0 GHz with a 400MHz FSB. That's only a 400MHz uplift and the FSB is already quite limiting. Not worth it IMO, I'd consider the platform you have already maxed out.

If you are interested in staying with socket 478 and increasing performance, any i865 based motherboard with a 800MHz FSB Northwood at 3.0 or 3.2 GHz will give you a decent boost in performance. Nothing to die for, but if you are attached to the platform and want to push it a bit more, the cost is not unreasonable.

Your GPU is also very good for that era. Radeon 9600 XT represents the top end of the 9600 series and handily beats all Nvidia GPUs during that era (GeForce FX or 5 series). The only real competition were ATi's own Radeon 9700 and 9800 cards. Of course, by 2004 Nvidia came out with the 6800 GT and later on the 6600 GT which was a fantastic mid-range card and that would indeed be faster (though 128MB VRAM is quite limiting). IMO 9600 XT for 2003-2004 is very period accurate for high performance within a reasonable budget (both then and now with the way some of the higher end cards are being priced!).

Halo is a port from the XBOX original game, but it makes use of Shader Model 2 features AFAIR. It is very demanding for GPUs of 2003 (the port came out in November of that year) and fairly demanding on CPUs as well. What resolution are you running it at? It's also not a particularly great port of the game. It breaks a few visual elements from the original and if you wish to run it at 60fps, keep in mind that animations are not interpolated, which means that you camera movement may be at 60fps but weapon and character animations will be at 30fps, making for a very odd experience. It always pulled me out of the experience.
May I suggest trying the Master Chief Collection on Steam? It has a pretty much perfect conversion of the original game.

As for Doom III, this was one of the most demanding games of 2004 along with Half-Life 2, Far Cry and a few others. Difference between Low and Ultra settings only affects Texture Quality AFAIR, so with 256MB it's normal that you don't really notice any difference in performance. Visual settings are actually hidden in Advanced Options within the game. These ought to influence how the game runs on your system.
I think your GPU is more than decent for this game. You should be getting really good performance at 800x600. 1024x768 might be pushing it a bit, but it's been a while since I tried it on Radeon hardware from that era.
The CPU is a bit more suspect here, and the fact that you mentioned it running the same no matter the resolution, leads me to believe that you are very CPU bound.
I suggest going with somewhat period correct drivers (from say mid 2005?) for your GPU and maybe taking a peek at the Doom 3 timedemo thread here on VOGONS, find a similar system to yours and see where you land performance wise.

All in all, I'd say you've got yourself a very decent system to play games up to 2004, maybe 2005. But expect games to drop frames here and there and not to get consistent 60fps. It's just how it was at the time!

https://halo.bungie.org/misc/halopcperformancefaq.html

no idea if any of the info here is valid but it would appear Halo may be able to run on a range of GPUs, been a long time since I last played Halo on a rtro system but might be worth checking into.

Reply 8 of 24, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Those specs and games are really more XP era than 98

Reply 9 of 24, by The Solutor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
ldeveraux wrote on 2026-09-23, 12:10:

Those specs and games are really more XP era than 98

Sure, P4 2.6 is from Aug 2002

9600xt Oct 2003

4/5 years, at the time, was a a geological era.

Reply 10 of 24, by Dothan Burger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

It would cost way to much to get that machine to run Doom 3 well in 98. I would just upgrade the CPU and enjoy the system for what it is. You could dual boot 98/XP and play lots of games.

It wasn't until the 6800/X800 generation that Doom 3 became what I would call playable.

Reply 11 of 24, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
Dothan Burger wrote on 2026-09-23, 13:20:

It wasn't until the 6800/X800 generation that Doom 3 became what I would call playable.

I played Doom 3 on my stock Radeon 9600 and it ran fine, but that certainly wasn't Win98!

Reply 12 of 24, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dothan Burger wrote on 2026-09-23, 13:20:

It would cost way to much to get that machine to run Doom 3 well in 98. I would just upgrade the CPU and enjoy the system for what it is. You could dual boot 98/XP and play lots of games.

It wasn't until the 6800/X800 generation that Doom 3 became what I would call playable.

I think shit OpenGL support on 98 is why Doom3 doesn't run that great on it, since the same hardware under XP can and does run Doom3 ok, sure its not super amazing but its not utterly dogshite either.

Reply 13 of 24, by Mike_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
ldeveraux wrote on 2026-09-23, 12:10:

Those specs and games are really more XP era than 98

Perhaps, but is there really much point to run XP with those specs, either? It would probably amount to just limiting compatibility with older games.

Reply 14 of 24, by Dothan Burger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
Trashbytes wrote on 2026-09-23, 15:20:

I think shit OpenGL support on 98 is why Doom3 doesn't run that great on it, since the same hardware under XP can and does run Doom3 ok, sure its not super amazing but its not utterly dogshite either.

Yeah it would make sense to dual boot XP and give it a shot. Though I do get better frame rate in Q3A with 98 using the 7950.

Reply 15 of 24, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
Mike_ wrote on 2026-09-23, 15:49:
ldeveraux wrote on 2026-09-23, 12:10:

Those specs and games are really more XP era than 98

Perhaps, but is there really much point to run XP with those specs, either? It would probably amount to just limiting compatibility with older games.

Is there a point to running an old OS over an even older one? IDK.

Reply 16 of 24, by The Solutor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
ldeveraux wrote on 2026-09-23, 17:28:

Is there a point to running an old OS over an even older one? IDK.

IMO using 98 to run a game that runs well (or better) on XP, can be explained only in two ways, a personal challenge or a bit of masochism.

If it's the first option OK, if it's the second...

Reply 17 of 24, by Dothan Burger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
The Solutor wrote on 2026-09-23, 18:43:
ldeveraux wrote on 2026-09-23, 17:28:

Is there a point to running an old OS over an even older one? IDK.

IMO using 98 to run a game that runs well (or better) on XP, can be explained only in two ways, a personal challenge or a bit of masochism.

If it's the first option OK, if it's the second...

This is VOGONS dawg, aren't we all a little masochistic?

Reply 19 of 24, by Mike_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
The Solutor wrote on 2026-09-23, 18:43:

IMO using 98 to run a game that runs well (or better) on XP, can be explained only in two ways, a personal challenge or a bit of masochism.

If it's the first option OK, if it's the second...

That's because there are more (retro) games that don't work on XP than there are games that don't work on 98. So you would need to deal with *both* 98 and XP to be able to play that game in XP. 😁