VOGONS


First post, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

I’m planning to assemble a system that, unfortunately, only has two ISA slots.
I intend to install two sound cards: a Pro Audio Spectrum 16 and a Gravis Ultrasound Extreme.
Unfortunately, neither card has a header for connecting a MIDI daughterboard.
Is it possible to buy or build a PCI-slot mounting card where I could attach the MIDI daughterboard and route the audio out via a 3.5mm jack on the bracket? Also, could I make a cable that connects to the sound card's joystick port—featuring a Y-splitter so the joystick remains usable?
I could also draw power from the PCI slot.

Alternatively, how would you handle this if you insisted on keeping the MIDI card inside the case (since it’s a multimedia PC case with built-in speakers)?

How would you ensure the best possible audio quality for the widest range of DOS games using only two ISA slots?
If I install a Roland SCC-1 for MIDI, only one slot remains; yet I want Gravis, OPL3, and Sound Blaster compatibility, so there isn't enough space. I do have a Roland daughterboard, but I understand it can't be connected to an AWE32 or Sound Blaster 16 without issues. As for OPTI cards and the like, they haven't really convinced me.

Thank for any helping!

Reply 2 of 12, by BaronSFel001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

I likewise have only two ISA slots, presently occupied by two sound cards, which has taught me that I need to be realistic about what range of media standard support I am going for so long as I am determined to keep it all within a single PC.

Those of us who go down the rabbit hole of supporting multiple simultaneous sound cards (regardless of whether ISA or PCI) must eventually consider the wisdom of an external mixer.

I was enamored by the idea of built-in speakers myself, but external ones are superior for several reasons.

The Aureal Vortex is notable for being a Windows 9x chipset whose cards came standard with a Wave Blaster-type daughterboard connector, includes good Sound Blaster Pro support for DOS games (albeit I seem to recall MIDI only works when run under a Windows DOS box), and has the bonus of supporting the proprietary A3d standard for late 90s Windows games...and Aureal happens to have been the reincarnation of Media Vision.

System 20: PIII 600, LAPC-I, MK1869 Xtreme, Voodoo3, SQ2500, R200, 3.0-Me
System 21: G2030 3.0, X-fi Fatal1ty, GTX 560, XP-Vista
Retro gaming (among other subjects): https://baronsfel001.wixsite.com/my-site

Reply 3 of 12, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Have you heard of SerdaShop?

They have several MIDI daughterboards, including ones with audio output jacks and Roland-licensed sound banks.

Here's their most advanced version:

https://serdashop.com/products/dreamblaster-x16gs

They also sell a joystick port adapter for them with line in and out ports:

https://serdashop.com/products/chill-and-phil-adapter

They even sell joystick port "doubler" kits, but they're out of stock at this time.

(I'm not affiliated with the site, but I've ordered from them before.)

Reply 4 of 12, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about a PicoGUS? That will give you GUS along with MIDI daughterboard support with full intelligent mode MPU401 MIDI support. I can also do OPL2 and even 3 now. But I still recommend pairing it along side a second sound dedicated to SoundBlaster duties.

https://github.com/polpo/picogus

Reply 5 of 12, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

@JidaiGeki
I will try it

@lylat1tan
I’m familiar with the Serdashop store, too; I actually have a MIDI card from them that I use in a 486 laptop docking station (which includes speakers) alongside an ISA Yamaha sound card.

Unfortunately, the Chill adapter you linked isn't suitable, as I’m looking for a solution that accommodates a standard-sized MIDI daughterboard inside the computer case.

@SScorpio
I like assembling my computers using period-correct hardware.
The PicoGUS looks promising, but I understand there are issues with its sound quality.

Reply 6 of 12, by NeoG_

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you are out of luck unfortunately, no configuration using GUS Ulta/SB16/PAS16 comes to mind that would get you bug-free+intelligent mode MIDI with two ISA slots both occupied by 16-bit sound cards. A DSP patched SB16 would be fine for UART mode as long as the SB16 DSP isn't being used at >22khz stereo rate simultaneously.

98/DOS Rig: BabyAT AladdinV, K6-2+/550, V3 2000, 128MB PC100, 20GB HDD, 128GB SD2IDE, SB Live!, SB16-SCSI, PicoGUS, WP32 McCake, iNFRA CD, ZIP100
XP Rig: Lian Li PC-10 ATX, Gigabyte X38-DQ6, Core2Duo E6850, ATi HD5870, 2GB DDR2, 2TB HDD, X-Fi XtremeGamer

Reply 7 of 12, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

What happens if stereo audio with a sample rate above 22 kHz plays alongside MIDI on an SB16 sound card?
I was considering using a CT3900 with a DSP patch—if that’s even possible—since it likely offers better sound quality than standard SB16 cards. But then I’d lose either the Pro Audio Spectrum or the Gravis Ultrasound sound.

Reply 8 of 12, by NeoG_

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
envagyok wrote on 2026-09-25, 04:45:

What happens if stereo audio with a sample rate above 22 kHz plays alongside MIDI on an SB16 sound card?

MIDI output gets slowed down

98/DOS Rig: BabyAT AladdinV, K6-2+/550, V3 2000, 128MB PC100, 20GB HDD, 128GB SD2IDE, SB Live!, SB16-SCSI, PicoGUS, WP32 McCake, iNFRA CD, ZIP100
XP Rig: Lian Li PC-10 ATX, Gigabyte X38-DQ6, Core2Duo E6850, ATi HD5870, 2GB DDR2, 2TB HDD, X-Fi XtremeGamer

Reply 10 of 12, by NeoG_

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
envagyok wrote on 2026-09-25, 10:46:

Even with swapped dsp chip with bugfree version?

Yes, “bugfree” means not having the hanging note bug. MIDI slowdown is a separate issue.

98/DOS Rig: BabyAT AladdinV, K6-2+/550, V3 2000, 128MB PC100, 20GB HDD, 128GB SD2IDE, SB Live!, SB16-SCSI, PicoGUS, WP32 McCake, iNFRA CD, ZIP100
XP Rig: Lian Li PC-10 ATX, Gigabyte X38-DQ6, Core2Duo E6850, ATi HD5870, 2GB DDR2, 2TB HDD, X-Fi XtremeGamer

Reply 11 of 12, by akimmet

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

A Pcmidi.eu Orpheus II, or MK1869 XTREME with a PCMIDI daughter-card is as closest thing in existence to the perfect sound card.
There is no perfect PC sound card, let alone combination of sound cards. Every single one has some sort of disadvantage or flaw. One has to either accept compromise, or delve into the madness of setting up multiple systems.

If you are in any way concerned about sound quality, built-in speakers are only going going to disappoint. Plastic and sheet metal make a poor speaker enclosure.

Reply 12 of 12, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Yamaha Audician + midi daughter card + Gravis combination maybe?