VOGONS


First post, by Retronerd878

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

I just got this Radeon 9700 Pro. Haven't tested it yet since I noticed a missing SMD component.
Also, some electrolytic caps look kinda banged. Can't really tell if that is an issue or not.

Anyway, I haven't seen that SMD component near the power connector on any other 9700 Pro card.
I'm guessing it's a cap or a fuse. Anyone know what that component is and its value?
Thanks

Reply 1 of 5, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check the pads to see if they connected to the 5V rail. If so, it's probably just a filter cap. Just solder a 22uF 16V 0603 SMD cap.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
OPTi MAD16 / Creative Vibra16XV ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 2 of 5, by Retronerd878

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Indeed the pads are directly connected to the +5V and GND of the floppy power connector. But isn't a 22 uF a bit high value? Especially in a 0603 size. I'm used to 100 nF in these spots.
Not an electrical engineer, just stating my gut feeling.

Last edited by Retronerd878 on 2026-09-25, 13:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 5, by Retronerd878

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Since that SMD cap shouldn't pose any problem, I gave it a go in this state and I got no image.
I even tried with a 2nd PCI card and no image on the PCI card if the Radeon is connected. No shorts on the 5V or 12V.

Post analyzer card stops at 1d 1C. Nothing immediately obvious except from a few electrolytics banged in the head. Maybe that's the problem.

Reply 5 of 5, by tehsiggi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can check some of the voltages on that card, to see if the power delivery works correctly:

Re: ATI 9700 Pro Broken

Those are all the ones for the memory.

Does the GPU get warm?

AGP Card Real Power Consumption
AGP Power monitor - diagnostic hardware tool
Graphics card repair collection