VOGONS


First post, by jh80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Anyone have any info on this? A search online reveals nothing.

I just stumbled across this site, which appears to be a full working recreation of the original MSN Gaming Zone circa 2001:

https://zone.sat.do
or
https://zone.com.do/

The Terms of Use page states:

"This is an archival recreation of the Internet Gaming Zone. The original Microsoft Terms of Use governed the live 1999–2001 service."

It looks like it's been up since around June 2026.

I haven't tried installing the installer on my PC (for obvious reasons), but I'm really wondering if this recreation goes as far as recreating the lobbies and supporting games. If so, that is quite a project to be hidden in obscurity like this. The site at least supports profile creation, with about 50 people having registered recently.

I played a lot of X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter and Jedi Knight on the Zone back in the day, so this is a large dose of nostalgia.

Reply 1 of 1, by BaronSFel001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
jh80 wrote on 2026-09-25, 11:15:

I played a lot of X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter and Jedi Knight on the Zone back in the day, so this is a large dose of nostalgia.

I never could afford to back in the day; my home gaming PC was never connected to the internet, and by the time I got one that was it came with Windows XP and its need for port-forwarding and all other compatibility breaking on network stacks.

I understand nostalgia comes with rose-tinting and today's online gaming feature sets are (minus the obvious) worlds better than 3 decades ago, but still: games back then were designed with such inherent adversities of the internet of that time in mind, so it would be nice to recapture that experience like has already been done for consoles such as Dreamcast.

System 20: PIII 600, LAPC-I, MK1869 Xtreme, Voodoo3, SQ2500, R200, 3.0-Me
System 21: G2030 3.0, X-fi Fatal1ty, GTX 560, XP-Vista
Retro gaming (among other subjects): https://baronsfel001.wixsite.com/my-site