Reply 100 of 131, by LSS10999
gsos wrote on 2026-09-24, 02:51:Hi LSS,
The idea is that there is also a windowed mode shared with windows/os2/(maybe linux) personality, the windows are not properly framed yet. And not everything properly wiped indeed. A lot of TODO's. Anyway I added EGAFIX/NEWAX and pnp initialization as well as the dISAppointment LPC sequence. Maybe retroos could properly unlock your sound blaster on your interesting setup. Also other FAT/EXT4 partitions are hopefully mapped as E: F: G:
Use https://github.com/gerben-stavenga/RetroOS/re … ses/tag/retroos retroos-usb-diagnostic.zip . Of course I don't know still why it hangs at that weird spot
I just checked the commit. Looks interesting.
As for dISAppointment LPC sequence (based on SAPPHISA) I'm afraid I won't be able to test that as-is, since it's hardcoded to 6/7 series for now. My current systems with dISAppointment are mainly of 8/9 series including X99.
The default I/O forwarding ranges by SAPPHISA are strictly meant for Creative Sound Blaster family (including PnP) and may not be applicable to some other cards.
I think it would be better if the kernel can provide a flexible interface, such as commands or configuration scripts, to customize such procedure, since the I/O forwarding ranges needed may differ among ISA sound cards and there is a need to make changes to the I/O forwarding ranges after boot for cards like PicoGUS which can switch to different modes via PGUSINIT, that may require different I/O ranges to function. (FYI: PicoGUS' configuration registers reside on 1D0-1D2)
EDIT: Additionally, on some boards, namely ASUS ones, the LDRQ1# is configured as GPIO23 by default and that needs to be toggled for LPC DMA to work. The LPC controller has a register holding the base address of the GPIO configuration registers which is needed to access the register needed to perform such toggle.
Since I can always boot to DOS to conduct the initialization then go to GRUB4DOS on said systems, this can wait, if this configuration interface would require a lot of effort.
If your USB image can be BIOS-booted I may be able to test EGAFIX and NEWAX. Newer nVidia video cards definitely need this if utilizing their VGA BIOS rather than using software framebuffer.
And by the way... I wonder if it could be possible to customize how the kernel mounts other partitions, as in a multiboot scenario I may not want everything supported by RetroOS get mounted automatically.
Something like Linux's "fstab" that I could define which partition (by physical location or UUID) to mount to which drive letter (or path).