VOGONS


First post, by jgf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I have the Platinum version (all expansion packs), which ran fine in Win7. On that old system (Athlon dual 3gig, 2gig RAM, GTX950 vid card) it maintained a solid 60fps; on my new Win11 system (i7, 8 core, 3.6gig, 16gig RAM, GTX1070, 256gig NVMe, 2tB WD Black SATA) it barely sustains 25fps, and at night with fireworks will drop to 9-10fps.

I have disabled that GameDVR nonsense in the registry, all system and vid driver parameters are set for high performance. My race sims, flight sim, etc, will hit over 300fps; I limit them to 60 in the vid driver profiles, that is the refresh rate of my monitor.

Reply 1 of 6, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Use dgVoodoo2?

I didn't understand if its a suggestion thread or a help-needed thread

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 2 of 6, by jgf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Suggestion? I suggest every Microsoft employee be fired and banned from ever coming within one mile of any form of computer as long as they live.

Help - why does this Win11 system, with ten times the abilities of my old Win7 system, give less than half the fps? And how to correct this, if possible.

BTW, have tried dgvoodoo a couple of times with other games ...like windows updates it seems to fix one issue and create two more. I usually give up and move on to the next game.

I don't want to give up on RCT3, it's a favorite. I'm considering Win7 in a VM.

Reply 3 of 6, by jgf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

From bad to worse. RCT3 now does not start at all. Click the shortcut, OK the UAC popup, get a small loading circle on the cursor for a few seconds ...then nothing.

Have tried single and multi core affinity; with and without 4gig patch; compatibility from XP SP3 to Win7. Nothing has helped. Always run games as admin. Nothing found in any security logs or event logs.

Reply 4 of 6, by FullYes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

I think this is a well known problem especially in a late stage scenario. There are no optimisations for multi-core CPUs and it is a directx 9 game, not sure if the 10 series gpus have good dx9 performance, the 900 series still have drivers for winxp so presume they at least still have good dx9 support.

You could try a windows XP VM - XP is the perfect platform for such a game, no need to run it on a newer os as its a dx9 game.

Great game though. Can hardly believe it came out over 20 years ago.

System 1: K6-3+ 600MHz! MS-5158 (430TX), Voodoo3 2000, AWE64 (Dos/95-early 98)
System 2: Athlon XP-M 2800+ SL-75KAV (KT133A) FX5900XT, Audigy 2ZS (late 98/Dos backup)
System 3: i7-2600k, P8P67-M, GTX 460 (XP)

Reply 5 of 6, by The Solutor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
jgf wrote on 2026-07-24, 16:54:

Help - why does this Win11 system, with ten times the abilities of my old Win7 system, give less than half the fps? And how to correct this, if possible.

No one forced you to install W11, just deploy a couple of native vhds with Win7 and W10, reboot with them and see what's better for you.

Reply 6 of 6, by jgf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

"No one forced you to install W11"

No (though Micro$oft is doing their best), but my beloved Win7 system died and I bought a new "off the shelf" system with Win11 installed. I doubt there are system drivers for Win7, much less XP, for this system ...or I'd wipe Win11 in a heartbeat and return to Win7. It looks like Win7 in a VM is my best bet (until I build another Win7 system).