Donald Duck wrote on Today, 20:02:
DaveDDS wrote on Today, 19:17:
The original XT had 5.25" DD drives - 40x2x9x512 = 360k
But where is the X2 comming from? because it was single sided right?
I don't believe the PC ever officially used single-sided drives - the x2 is two heads (40 tracks, 2 heads, 9 sectors/track, 512 bytes/sector)
I think the XT might have used 8 sectors/track at first = 320k
The original XTs did use full-height drives - twice as tall as "modern" drives - this was also the form-factor of the first drive (SA-400) which was single-sided - perhaps this is confusing to some.
But double-sided full-height drives did exist (and were used in the XT) and there were even a few half-height single-sided drives along the way (which I never saw in a PC, but were used on some other systems)
https://dunfield.themindfactory.com ; "Daves Old Computers" ; SW dev addict best known:
ImageDisk: rd/wr ANY floppy PChw can ; Micro-C: compiler for DOS+ManySmallCPU ; DDLINK: simple/small filetransfer(w/o netSW)via Lan/Lpt/Com