VOGONS


New forum suggestions/Feedback

Topic actions

Reply 740 of 747, by The Solutor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
ldeveraux wrote on Today, 16:51:

You're part of the problem..

Which problem? I decide what browser I want to use, not someone else, let alone on a site dedicated to retrocomuting.

Reply 741 of 747, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

2 problems really; you're one that I'd like to enact this on for various reasons, not least of all offering a bogus workaround rather than letting the board runners do what they should. Until then, I'll continue to mute and no longer respond to nonsense.

Reply 742 of 747, by The Solutor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
ldeveraux wrote on Today, 17:17:

2 problems really; you're one that I'd like to enact this on for various reasons, not least of all offering a bogus workaround rather than letting the board runners do what they should. Until then, I'll continue to mute and no longer respond to nonsense.

Oh be sure that the world is plenty of silent haters for no reason, like you, one more won't change my life.

Reply 743 of 747, by MattRocks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a tricky one. The latest release has fewer known security vulnerabilities than Chrome 108, but the risks are to users - not to the websites.

I don't think we should be mandating hardened browsers. I think, instead, we should be educating people. In my view of utopia, most sites would display a banner highlighting the most significant vulnerability. And, the user would harden their banking connections rather than their anonymous hobbies. And, websites would degrade gracefully with different amounts of JavaScript disabled.

Instead we have this constant drive to use JavaScript to burn energy tracking movements, encryption to burn energy transferring mundane data, and an overheating planet. Whatever will we think of next?

Desktop timeline [ MOS 7501 → 68030 → x86(P5/MMX) → x86(K6-2) → x86(K7*) → PPC(G3*) → x86-64(K8) → x86-64(Xeon) → x86-64(i7) ] * lost

Reply 744 of 747, by The Solutor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
MattRocks wrote on Today, 19:28:

It's a tricky one. The latest release has fewer known security vulnerabilities than Chrome 108

Come on! We aren't in the IE6 days anymore, security is, almost always, just an excuse to remove bits of freedom, in IT, just like in real life.

but the risks are to users

I understand actions of websites to protect their self, also because for them the security treats are real.

But about users? Let users take care of their self!
That Appleish idea that users needs a "mom" that tells them what's good and what's bad, is simply hideous, practically and by principle.

I don't think we should be mandating hardened browsers. I think, instead, we should be educating people.

It's my motto since the dawn of times, "upgrade the users instead of downgrade OSes and programs", which is more or less the antimatter of the trend started by Apple since when they regained traction and started to turn their users in zombies.

In my view of utopia, most sites would display a banner highlighting the most significant vulnerability. And, the user would harden their banking connections rather than their anonymous hobbies. And, websites would degrade gracefully with different amounts of JavaScript disabled.

Seriously, these days OSes and Browsers are, more or less, robust enough, most of the treats for the end users, are directed directly to them, not their PCs.

People, especially uninformed, and/or busy are way simpler to hack than any browser, even IE6. The only protection from ignorance (in general, but specificy to IT security) is knowledge, not Chrome 19768

Back to the specific argument. I don't believe that a generic page, with a generic http2 error, is something the web administrator did on purpose, looks more like a misconfiguration of something.

(Hideous)Sites that blocks older browsers on purpose are relatively common, but they are used to show a clear webpage telling "we are sorry, but your browser is not supported anymore, please update, bla...bla...bla...

Last edited by The Solutor on 2026-09-28, 20:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 745 of 747, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

So anyway, would love a mod to chime in as to why they don't implement this.

Reply 746 of 747, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Solutor wrote on Today, 17:21:

Oh be sure that the world is plenty of silent haters for no reason, like you, one more won't change my life.

Oh there are reasons, and I can confirm that it's more than just one more hater.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.