VOGONS


First post, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since at least Monday morning I have been unable to access this site with 403 Forbidden being reported.

Others have reported this to existing threads, but I feel there needs to be a thread dedicated this this issue.

jmarsh wrote on Today, 11:07:

The current version of the default browser in windows (Edge 154.0.4258.37) now seems to be blocked. This is stupid.

Yes, very stupid. It's also blocked on my default system, but I have Version 83.0.478.50 on this system which is OK.

I suspect most who are blocked can't even report the issue

Reply 2 of 6, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the user-agent reports both Chrome/154.0.0.0 and Edg/154.0.0.0, it gets blocked. If it doesn't include Edg/154.0.0.0 it passes.

I assume this is an attempt at blocking bots but a bot is more likely to know to switch its user-agent when confronted with a random "forbidden" page than a regular (Edge) user.

Reply 3 of 6, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote on Today, 12:46:

I assume this is an attempt at blocking bots but a bot is more likely to know to switch its user-agent when confronted with a random "forbidden" page than a regular (Edge) user.

Yes, I suspect the same. Either way whatever was changed does more harm than good as I now suspect most of the site "users" are BOTs and feel a sensible solution is needed.

Reply 4 of 6, by The Solutor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
jmarsh wrote on Today, 12:46:

If the user-agent reports both Chrome/154.0.0.0 and Edg/154.0.0.0, it gets blocked. If it doesn't include Edg/154.0.0.0 it passes.

I assume this is an attempt at blocking bots but a bot is more likely to know to switch its user-agent when confronted with a random "forbidden" page than a regular (Edge) user.

Likely some AI antispam plugin for the forum engine, I saw such kind of weird effects on other sites.

Still playing for the UA workarounds the problem.

Here Vivaldi 5.7 (chrome 108) works perfectly), slightly older releases than the current one, say 8.1 (chrome 152 or so) are blocked.

Same Vivaldi version on different OS say Windows v.s. Linux may work on the former and blocked on the latter, with no apparent logic, which leads to AI.

Reply 5 of 6, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just checked and my default system with Edge 154.0.4258.37 just started working, so I guess the stupidity has been expunged.

I feel that whoever made the change should have tested it with Edge 154.0.4258.37, the default Windows browser.

Reply 6 of 6, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FACT: user agent filtering has always been dumb and will always be dumb.

Wreckage reimagined on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/wreckage-dash