javispedro1 wrote on 2026-09-11, 19:01:
If you want a bit more unsolicited advice, I think you are starting in the wrong direction, i.e. your goal should be to figure out the ch376, rather than the driver part. If you figure out what's diferent about the ch376 (and maybe it's just nothing!), then patching the orig driver should be trivial.
I.e. focus on the ch375/6 parts, not on the MS-DOS parts (unless, of course, your goal is to learn to write MS-DOS drivers in the first place, in which case: enjoy).
I'm not saying you are wrong, but ultimately I feel that I will need to be able to write a driver in order to use the CH376. While I don't remember the differences now, from when I was looking at it before I believe that there are differences. Even if there were no differences, the CH375 driver at least checks the chip version, so the driver would need to be modified to take that out. Without the source, I don't think I can figure out how to get around that.
When I was looking at this before, I had asked AI to help me write a driver for the CH376 and it explained the differences between the CH375 and CH376 and spit out a new driver. That driver didn't work, it would just lock up my computer when it tried to load, so then it led me down a path of trying to make a dummy driver that didn't do anything. But the dummy code the AI suggested didn't work either, and all the fixes it came up with either wouldn't compile or still locked up my computer. I will have to go back a look at what I have exactly, but I have a bunch of info on the CH375 and CH376 from the manufacturer and kind of feel that some where I have snippets of assembly code for them. There is also that open source bios that has code for the CH376. I just don't know how to turn that into a driver.
Actually, looking back at what I have downloaded, I have folder called "CH376_ISA_CARD-ch376-driver-development" that seems to have source code and instructions for building a CH376Dos driver with Turbo C 2.0 that I don't remember ever trying out or even really looking at. I think I will see if that builds. Maybe this is a solved problem already.
EDIT: Nevermind, this "CH376_ISA_CARD-ch376-driver-development" folder was just the non-working AI generated code. I had forgot all the files it had generated (code for a test program in C, a build.bat file, a readme file etc) and it didn't have comments on the files that I was expecting so I didn't recognize it.