VOGONS


VGA to HDMI converter/scaler

Topic actions

First post, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Hi fellow Vogons,

I'm in search for a good solution to hook up my modern high refresh rate panel to my collection of retro gaming PC's.
I currently no longer have the space for my retro screens setup, so I'm in need of a solution to hook up my retro rigs.

I already tried several adaptors, without luck. I need one that can handle and upscale the odd DOS and BIOS resolutions and refresh rates to my modern 1080p panel.
The ones confirmed working by the community are either sold out, or ridiculously expensive because of feature set (that I won't be using).

Thanks in advance for some aid 🤞

Heresy grows from idleness ...

Reply 1 of 21, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

I don't know if this will help in your situation, but there are some screens still being made that have both variable refresh rates and a VGA port.

Look up the specs of available models on the manufacturer's websites, and check whether the variable refresh feature is supported on the VGA connection.

Good luck!

Reply 2 of 21, by myne

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah yes.
You absolutely need 720x400x70hz.

I never found one. I found a workaround after bios to charge the mode in the autoexec but I never looked for a proper adapter after that.

I built:
Convert old ASUS ASC boardviews to KICAD PCB!
Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11+tcp+vbe_svga auto-install iso template
Script to backup Win9x\ME drivers from a working install
Re: The thing no one asked for: KICAD 440bx reference schematic

Reply 3 of 21, by The Solutor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

There is one vga2hd2 for sale on ebay (looks like one of the few confirmed adapter that can do 720x400@70 )

https://community.startech.com/t/vga-to-hdmi- … -720x400-70/618

Isn't even that expensive, but that depends on where you live, in these crazy days shipment may require to sell a kidney

https://www.ebay.com/itm/137767275191?_skw=vg … ABk9SR8iKvaKeaA

Reply 4 of 21, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Well I'm located in Belgium, Europe. So shipping from Canada is indeed ludicrously expensive ...
Good find though!

Heresy grows from idleness ...

Reply 5 of 21, by The Solutor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
AzzKickr wrote on Today, 12:02:

Well I'm located in Belgium, Europe. So shipping from Canada is indeed ludicrously expensive ...
Good find though!

I know, I'm in Europe as well, so I warned you.

Reply 6 of 21, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While it is not strictly speaking a scaler, in the sense that it cannot scale input to a specific target output resolution, an OSSC is probably one of the better options.

The OSSC can digitize, optionally line multiply ("scale" by an integer value, within its frequency limits) and output through DVI ( most if not all monitors support DVI signaling through an HDMI input with a passive adapter or DVI to HDMI cable). It does require a monitor capable of setting a true force 4:3 mode (for proper display of non square pixel modes, like VGA 320x200/640x400 ) and able to sync to some non standard modes (note usually an issue on most monitors I have tried, especially among monitor capable of accepting and displaying more than 60Hz). VGA modes that are 70.08Hz will stay at the refresh frequency.

More flexible and expensive option, like OSSC Pro and RetroTINK variants also exist. The CRT Terminator is also a potential option.

On the flip side, if you do not mind a scaler/digitizer that converts everything to 60Hz abd to standard resolutions/timings all monitors support, does not require a monitor with a forced 4:3 mode and is likely much less expensive than most other options (only on the second hand market ), an Extron RGB-HDMI 300 or Extron RGB-DVI 300 variant is likely still the best option.

All these and other options are discussed in this huge thread What are the best Vga to hdmi scalers or peripherals for MS-DOS games ?

P.S. Using an LED/LCD monitor's VGA input, regardless of it being old or new, will cause some visible irregular scaling artifacts of the commonly used VGA 320x200 mode (line doubled to 640x400 by every (S)VGA card) due to that mode's timing being indistinguishable from 720x400 VGA text mode. This may or may not be objectionable to you.

I tried to keep this brief, so I tried to mention only the most important points.

EDIT: Sorry for the typos. Writing this on a phone was not fun.

Reply 8 of 21, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
darry wrote on Today, 12:23:
While it is not strictly speaking a scaler, in the sense that it cannot scale input to a specific target output resolution, an O […]
Show full quote

While it is not strictly speaking a scaler, in the sense that it cannot scale input to a specific target output resolution, an OSSC is probably one of the better options.

The OSSC can digitize, optionally line multiply ("scale" by an integer value, within its frequency limits) and output through DVI ( most if not all monitors support DVI signaling through an HDMI input with a passive adapter or DVI to HDMI cable). It does require a monitor capable of setting a true force 4:3 mode (for proper display of non square pixel modes, like VGA 320x200/640x400 ) and able to sync to some non standard modes (note usually an issue on most monitors I have tried, especially among monitor capable of accepting and displaying more than 60Hz). VGA modes that are 70.08Hz will stay at the refresh frequency.

More flexible and expensive option, like OSSC Pro and RetroTINK variants also exist. The CRT Terminator is also a potential option.

On the flip side, if you do not mind a scaler/digitizer that converts everything to 60Hz abd to standard resolutions/timings all monitors support, does not require a monitor with a forced 4:3 mode and is likely much less expensive than most other options (only on the second hand market ), an Extron RGB-HDMI 300 or Extron RGB-DVI 300 variant is likely still the best option.

All these and other options are discussed in this huge thread What are the best Vga to hdmi scalers or peripherals for MS-DOS games ?

P.S. Using an LED/LCD monitor's VGA input, regardless of it being old or new, will cause some visible irregular scaling artifacts of the commonly used VGA 320x200 mode (line doubled to 640x400 by every (S)VGA card) due to that mode's timing being indistinguishable from 720x400 VGA text mode. This may or may not be objectionable to you.

I tried to keep this brief, so I tried to mention only the most important points.

EDIT: Sorry for the typos. Writing this on a phone was not fun.

Thank you for the suggestions, but I don't see the Extron brand active in Europe ?

Heresy grows from idleness ...

Reply 9 of 21, by AzzKickr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
The Solutor wrote on Today, 12:27:

This seem confirmed working as well, I can't guarantee the specs remains constant over time, but it's cheap, so likely worth a try

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/10050075575447 … ayAdapt=glo2ita

Sadly no, this will for sure not work.
The signal needs a processor to scale to more modern 60hz resolutions. A simple cable will never do that I'm afraid.

Heresy grows from idleness ...

Reply 10 of 21, by The Solutor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
AzzKickr wrote on Today, 12:35:

Thank you for the suggestions, but I don't see the Extron brand active in Europe ?

Well, it's aliexpress (if you're interested) buy directly there, usually shipment are relatively slow say 7/18 days, but cheap or completely free.

Reply 12 of 21, by jh80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

The OSSC is the cheapest "good" option if your monitor can force 4:3 and if you're willing to learn how to set it up.

You will never be satisfied with those cheap adapters unless you really, really don't care about quality (if you can even find one that handles DOS resolutions).

Reply 13 of 21, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Solutor wrote on Today, 12:27:

This seem confirmed working as well, I can't guarantee the specs remains constant over time, but it's cheap, so likely worth a try

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/10050075575447 … ayAdapt=glo2ita

Probably similar to this Re: What are the best Vga to hdmi scalers or peripherals for MS-DOS games ? , I would hazard to guess.

While such devices are cheap and some people have had success with them, their support for things like 70.08Hz input and issues with overscan/underscan, potential visible noise, etc will vary from batch to batch and/or manufacturer. They will also have the same irregular scaling issue for 320x200 as using an LCD monitor's VGA input. As Solutor mentioned, the actual specs can vary over time. The description and stated specs often will not get updated or may simply be incorrect. You may get lucky, you may not, but if you need to source even just 2 or 3 or more of those to get lucky, the price advantage over other options evaporates quickly.

Reply 14 of 21, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Solutor wrote on Today, 12:42:
AzzKickr wrote on Today, 12:36:

Sadly no, this will for sure not work.

Maybe I interpreted incorrectly but...

Re: Why don't cheap VGA to HDMI adapters work below 640x480?

Some of them apparently "work" with 70.08Hz input to display an image, a lot of them do not.

Even if they work, there are often image quality issues. I think I recall reading about one or two people getting satisfactory output out the many who have tried ( I don't feel like dredging through that thread).

Reply 15 of 21, by The Solutor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
darry wrote on Today, 12:53:

Even if they work, there are often image quality issues. I think I recall reading about one or two people getting satisfactory output out the many who have tried ( I don't feel like dredging through that thread).

Look, I see it this way: there is a user that confirmed it works and with good quality.

There is a chance, you get a different device? Yes

There is a chance that the actual monitor / adapter combination monitor matters, Yes

But still we are talking of something that cost less than 8 euros, and in the worst case still works as an adapter for normal resolutions, which isn't a bad thing to have in the tray.

I would take the risk in no time if I was the OP.

Then leave more "philosophical" considerations for expensive devices like the ones from startech that cost 20x more.

Last edited by The Solutor on 2026-09-30, 13:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 21, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AzzKickr wrote on Today, 12:35:
darry wrote on Today, 12:23:
While it is not strictly speaking a scaler, in the sense that it cannot scale input to a specific target output resolution, an O […]
Show full quote

While it is not strictly speaking a scaler, in the sense that it cannot scale input to a specific target output resolution, an OSSC is probably one of the better options.

The OSSC can digitize, optionally line multiply ("scale" by an integer value, within its frequency limits) and output through DVI ( most if not all monitors support DVI signaling through an HDMI input with a passive adapter or DVI to HDMI cable). It does require a monitor capable of setting a true force 4:3 mode (for proper display of non square pixel modes, like VGA 320x200/640x400 ) and able to sync to some non standard modes (note usually an issue on most monitors I have tried, especially among monitor capable of accepting and displaying more than 60Hz). VGA modes that are 70.08Hz will stay at the refresh frequency.

More flexible and expensive option, like OSSC Pro and RetroTINK variants also exist. The CRT Terminator is also a potential option.

On the flip side, if you do not mind a scaler/digitizer that converts everything to 60Hz abd to standard resolutions/timings all monitors support, does not require a monitor with a forced 4:3 mode and is likely much less expensive than most other options (only on the second hand market ), an Extron RGB-HDMI 300 or Extron RGB-DVI 300 variant is likely still the best option.

All these and other options are discussed in this huge thread What are the best Vga to hdmi scalers or peripherals for MS-DOS games ?

P.S. Using an LED/LCD monitor's VGA input, regardless of it being old or new, will cause some visible irregular scaling artifacts of the commonly used VGA 320x200 mode (line doubled to 640x400 by every (S)VGA card) due to that mode's timing being indistinguishable from 720x400 VGA text mode. This may or may not be objectionable to you.

I tried to keep this brief, so I tried to mention only the most important points.

EDIT: Sorry for the typos. Writing this on a phone was not fun.

Thank you for the suggestions, but I don't see the Extron brand active in Europe ?

The usual auction site or similar local marketplaces are your best bet, but they are indeed much less common in Europe and more expensive and less common than they used to be, even in North America.

Sourcing an OSSC may be a better option, assuming your monitor of choice has a forced 4:3 mode option (an "Aspect" or "Aspect Ratio" option will usually just have the monitor assume the mode has square pixels and derive the aspect ratio to use for display from the ratio of horizontal vs vertical pixels, which means that 320x200/640x400 would get displayed as if it was stretched to 16:10 rather than 4:3 )

Reply 17 of 21, by jh80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
The Solutor wrote on Today, 13:03:
Look, I see it this way: there is a user that confirmed it works and with good quality. […]
Show full quote
darry wrote on Today, 12:53:

Even if they work, there are often image quality issues. I think I recall reading about one or two people getting satisfactory output out the many who have tried ( I don't feel like dredging through that thread).

Look, I see it this way: there is a user that confirmed it works and with good quality.

There is a chance, you get a different device? Yes

There is a chance that the actual monitor / adapter combination monitor matters, Yes

But still we are talking of something that cost less than 8 euros, and in the worst case still works as an adapter for normal resolutions, which isn't a bad thing to have in the tray.

I would take the risk in no time if I was the OP.

Then leave more "philosophical" considerations for expensive devices like the ones from startech that cost 20x more.

But in the thread you linked to, the poster specifically says those adapters do NOT work below 640x480 (thus the title of the thread). The poster said the adapters worked once they set the game resolution to 640x480.

Rather than buying a bunch of cheap adapters that don't work well, it's better to just put the money into getting an OSSC. It's one of the best retro PC purchases I've ever made and it cost less than $100.

Reply 18 of 21, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Solutor wrote on Today, 13:03:
Look, I see it this way: there is a user that confirmed it works and with good quality. […]
Show full quote
darry wrote on Today, 12:53:

Even if they work, there are often image quality issues. I think I recall reading about one or two people getting satisfactory output out the many who have tried ( I don't feel like dredging through that thread).

Look, I see it this way: there is a user that confirmed it works and with good quality.

There is a chance, you get a different device? Yes

There is a chance that the actual monitor / adapter combination monitor matters, Yes

But still we are talking of something that cost less than 8 euros, and in the worst case still works as an adapter for normal resolutions, which isn't a bad thing to have in the tray.

I would take the risk in no time if I was the OP.

Then leave more "philosophical" considerations for expensive devices like the ones from startech that cost 20x more.

I have tried a few of those Macrosilicon based ones and, among those that worked at all, none worked with 70.08Hz input.

If one has a secondary use case for such a device, sure, why not try it and use it for some other purpose if it doesn't work for the primary use case.

If one does not have a secondary use case, even at 8 Euros, it is not worth the "gamble" to me. OP may feel differently.

Reply 19 of 21, by The Solutor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
jh80 wrote on Today, 13:21:

Rather than buying a bunch of cheap adapters that don't work well, it's better to just put the money into getting an OSSC. It's one of the best retro PC purchases I've ever made and it cost less than $100.

Ok, like I said maybe I misinterpreted, and indeed I missed the detail that the user I linked was the actually the OP.

But you guys look like shareholders of the OSSC Corp. 😁