VOGONS


TNDLPT : Tandy Sound on parallel port

Topic actions

Reply 180 of 192, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
digger wrote on 2025-04-01, 08:26:

So how is a parallel port registered to be accessible on device name LPT4 in DR DOS and Novell DOS, if the BDA can't facilitate that?

Hi, that's what I've found so far..

"LPT4 is an optional built-in driver for a fourth line printer supported in some versions of DR-DOS since 7.02."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOS#Reserved_device_names

"LPT4 (some versions of DR-DOS 7.02 and higher only[8])
Enables, defines count and logical order and configures I/O address and timeout for LPT4: device."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONFIG.SYS#LPT4

"Further, it provided optional support for a LPT4: device and allowed to configure the built-in COMx: and LPTx: devices as well as to change the PRN: and AUX: defaults."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DR-DOS#After_Novell

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 181 of 192, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

New revision finally ready and available :
Limited Purple PCB 'Vogons Edition'

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS TE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-TE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 182 of 192, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice! I plan to alter the AIL2 driver for Tandy, so it supports the TNDLPT directly (no need for TSR's).

And i have some even better news, but that on its own thread....

Reply 183 of 192, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now also the 3d printed case is ready

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS TE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-TE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 185 of 192, by ychh0

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Recently I bought TNDLPT and I wonder there is any way to mute TNDLPT in Windows XP or higher.
I found TNDLPT output unwanted sound (noise) when booting until loading driver or running TNDRESET.EXE.
(When power-on there is no sound at first but it starts to output noise when starting to boot DOS until loading TSR or running TNDRESET.EXE)
For DOS, it has little problem. Noise can be stopped in very short time by loading driver or running TNDRESET.EXE in AUTOEXEC.BAT
But TNDRESET.EXE does not run in Windows XP or higher. I wonder if there is any way to reset TNDLPT in Windows XP or higher.

Thanks

Reply 186 of 192, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The attachment tndlpt01.png is no longer available
The attachment edit01.png is no longer available

Reply 187 of 192, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I’m glad to say there’s now an AIL2 (TANDYLPT.ADV) dedicated driver for the Serdaco TNDLPT parallel port device. It eliminates the need for redirection TSR and it also does device initialisation.

I also started experimenting patching some games, and managed to patch 2.917 AGI interpreter, and one Tandy driver for SIERRA SCI0 engine.

Alas, patching games for the TNDLPT, is quite a bit more impractical than what i did for Tandy ISA cards. Not only an OUT routine for the parallel port is more involved, it also requires maybe using a separate tool (like pdw’s TNDRESET) to initialize the device. Including initialization for each game would take even more space, so honestly the INT C0h trick and a INT handler is the more elegant solution in this case

Reply 189 of 192, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The games section are the old patches that need redirection. You can use them for TNDLPT but you need the TSR utility.

If you back to the previous directory you'll find the tndlpt directory that outputs directly to TNDLPT.

Reply 190 of 192, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As you know my setups avoid or do not support emm386 (PS/2E and EuroPC/XT), so no TSR.
Is it easier to start from scratch to try to port games to PICOVOX (opl2/cms/tnd) or are the already routed games to ISA-tandy sound device the better starting point ?
tndlpt is "only" AGI and I already patched them to PICOVOX-tnd-mode on my EuroPC. (278h) I have to figure out if my setting on the PS/2E (LPT2 afair) also 278h is or something else. We will see.
I was also thinking about CMS support on some games... If the AI was clever it could do it...

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 191 of 192, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Best solution for you is the INT C0h trick. Direct patching for TNDLPT requires a lot of bytes and that is just impossible. AGI is possible because it has enough space for it. 99% of games do not.

Reply 192 of 192, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK thank you, the project is on halt. the machine is broken, if the PS/2E can be repaired is unclear, because I did not find the error that prevents the machine from booting anything.
thanks Carlostex for your support, I really appreciate it.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines