Dege wrote on 2026-05-05, 21:30:
But I guess all this happens with Fake fullscreen enabled, because only fake fullscreen behaviour has changed in 2.87.1.
If you set the scaling mode to "stretched, keep aspect ratio" then it should work as before. Aside from the refresh rate thing because it is also set now, like in real fullscreen.
So I did some testing.
Montezuma's Return 1.29w (max 800x600, can't be overriden via dgVoodoo nor a mod/patch).
RTX 2080ti, 240Hz G-sync monitor, Win10.
*game speed is tied to FPS, I haven't properly tested timings, but it seems max 120fps works ok
The VGA mode (DirectX) fullscreen pretty much works as expected:
- monitor doesn't change resolution nor refresh rate (with Stretched, keep Aspect Ratio)
- it honors Vsync (tho only from dgVooodoo, not it's own setup) to display refresh rate
- if honors FPS limit, with or without V-sync
- it honors fullscreen scaling modes
- it works with G-sync
- no need for Fake Fullscreen as alt+tab is instantaneous, tho I tested it and saw no difference from regular Fullscreen
*Fake Fullscreen disables G-sync (Output API = best available one, usually MSI Afterburner shows DX11 being used with or without Fake Fullscreen)
The 3DFX mode (Glide) fullscreen works like this:
- it sets the monitor to 60Hz
- above happens no matter if if force 800x600, 240 or 1920x1080, 240 or GeneralExt desktop to 1920x1080, 240 or any of those combinations together
- enabling V-sync in dgVoodoo locks the FPS to 60hz regardless of any other setting
- only difference with Fake Fullscreen is that alt+tab is a bit faster because the monitor is running in 1920x1080@60hz
- with Fake Fullscreen when alt+tab puts the game in background, with regular Fullscreen it will put the game into windowed mode for some reason?
- the above doesn't change if I enable "Enable inactive app state" (shouldn't regular Fullscreen alt+tab close the game as the popup info implies?)
- FPS limit (no Vsync) "works" in a sense that you are rendering frames above 60hz which looks meh, since the panel is at smeary 60hz
- above usually works if (no V-sync) unlocked FPS >>> Hz because tearing becomes invisible, but this game shouldn't run above 120fps, so you get visible tearlines along with 60hz smeary display
- I haven't tested GeneralExt Presentation modes if I can somehow break from 60hz mode
- it honors fullscreen scaling modes
*Fake Fullscreen specifically disables G-sync
Workaround (specifically for 3DFX) - run Windowed mode with GeneralExt Borderless + Fullescreen size enabled, and limit to max 120fps, V-sync optional
*Windowed mode also disables G-sync
Question - why does Fake Fullscreen and Windowed mode disable G-Sync?
- I have it enabled for windowed programs too, it's not even picked up by G-sync.
- I have the G-sync indicator and if it works it's green "G-Sync" text in the corner, if it's not it's gray "Normal" text, but none are present here.
- DX12 API doesn't work with this game, so I can't test that, so consider that everything was done with Best possible API, which is DX11, which has G-Sync in regular Fullscreen
- I tried using Lossless Scaling without any upscaling or framegen just to get G-sync, but the FPS is choppy (please see dgVoodoo + Lossless Scaling (upscale only) )