Reply 59800 of 59804, by Trashbytes
- Rank
- l33t
tehsiggi wrote on Today, 11:44:Trashbytes wrote on Today, 11:38:tehsiggi wrote on Today, 04:39:Bought a HD4850 PCIe and X1300 PCIe for science.
The part that stood out for me: I initially wanted to use a HD4770 for my testing, as it would be absolutely sufficient. However those go for around 25-35€ on ebay here in Germany, whereas the HD4850 can be had for 10€ . Well, not that I need that much horsepower, but hey, I'll take it.
The X1300 wasn't as easy as I though either. Ideally low profile + DVI + as cheap as possible. But many cards are dell OEM ones with DMS-59, making be shudder at the thought of having a dongle on it. So after some search I found one for around 5€.
The 4850 isn't much faster than the 4770 in real world use, it does run cooler and use less power though which may be of interest to you if you are looking for efficiency.
I basically needed "more than 4670" performance in the 4000 series.. and since I had a 5770 back in the day, I thought "Well, why not a 4770" 😁
My favourite is the HD4980 and the 4870X2 both are wonderful GPUs but the 4870X2 is a literal space heater and jet engine all in one.
The HD4890 comes in two flavours the 1Gb model and the 2Gb model ..the 2Gb model is pretty rare to find.