VOGONS


RAM prices have gone insane

Topic actions

Reply 1040 of 1081, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Re: BOEING, post-merger

https://sites.duke.edu/thelilypad/2024/05/07/ … rong-at-boeing/

BOEING *USED* to be a crown jewel.

Now it's a barely functioning cordyceps zombie company.

(Note, arguing with me about *this* topic is "unwise". I was making and vetting blueprints in a part of my career, and when their engineers cant obey ASME 14.5Y, or factor tolerance zones correctly, *there is a problem*)

Reply 1041 of 1081, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wierd_w wrote on 2026-10-01, 20:53:
Re: BOEING, post-merger […]
Show full quote

Re: BOEING, post-merger

https://sites.duke.edu/thelilypad/2024/05/07/ … rong-at-boeing/

BOEING *USED* to be a crown jewel.

Now it's a barely functioning cordyceps zombie company.

(Note, arguing with me about *this* topic is "unwise". I was making and vetting blueprints in a part of my career, and when their engineers cant obey ASME 14.5Y, or factor tolerance zones correctly, *there is a problem*)

That's when you get abominations like the 737 MAX that require numerous failures, incidents and deaths before they do revisions that DO comply.

Reply 1042 of 1081, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What i trust is people who champion socialism and communism which has killed 9 times as many people as all the wars in history.

And then say it's misunderstood...

And don't offer any evidence just insult people.

Edit :Apparently what use to be a simple fact that I mentioned above is now disputed by AI. Not surprising given who mostly controls tech and the recent snuggling up to socialism by that party.

Last edited by Shagittarius on 2026-10-02, 03:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1043 of 1081, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Solutor wrote on 2026-10-01, 20:48:
Good one, you know other jokes? […]
Show full quote
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2026-10-01, 20:02:

It was nationalisation that killed British Railways.

Good one, you know other jokes?

What they get from the government is earnt not given

Definitely you know other 😁

They earnt more with 747max or with the Starliner spacecraft? 😁

BTW your jokes, as good as they are, sound amateurish if compared with Boeing blaming unfair competition by Airbus, because the public funding 😁

The railways in the UK were run down not by private ownership but the over use and lack of maintainance in the war years because during the war the country basically took them over due to the war effort and run them into the ground.
Then once they were in the ground they were nationalised.

During the war they were nationalised in all but name.
The government, a socialist one, paid way over the odds for them because they were desperate to take them over, had they waited the companies who owned them at that point would have failed.
Once they took them over they realised they didnt have enough money to maintain them from government funds and things got worse, and thats why we got the Beeching report. Which killed the railways stone dead and we are still to this day feeling the effects of the cuts that the government report recommended, because the government fundamentally misunderstood how the railways operated.
After the cuts and on into the 80s in spite of all the problems caused by the government ownership the railways made money but they were not allowed to spend the money in the ways they knew it needed to be spent because of government interference and that lead to them situation where Thatcher could do what she did.

wierd_w wrote on 2026-10-01, 20:53:
Re: BOEING, post-merger […]
Show full quote

Re: BOEING, post-merger

https://sites.duke.edu/thelilypad/2024/05/07/ … rong-at-boeing/

BOEING *USED* to be a crown jewel.

Now it's a barely functioning cordyceps zombie company.

(Note, arguing with me about *this* topic is "unwise". I was making and vetting blueprints in a part of my career, and when their engineers cant obey ASME 14.5Y, or factor tolerance zones correctly, *there is a problem*)

You may well be right about that because I dont know the reality of the company on the ground, but on paper looking at it it is the best America has to offer...

But that difference isnt a good one.

Reply 1044 of 1081, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Is this the bickering thread?

Main: Z440/E5-1650 V4/3060Ti/64GB/iFi Zen DAC V1/Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX/Philips 43PUS8808/12
98/DOS: QDI Advance 10T/Pentium iii-S 1.4 GHz/Quadro2 Pro/Vortex 2/ESS 1868f/SC-55/SC-88 Pro/LG StudioWorks 995E
XP: Thinkcentre Edge 72/i5-3570K/GTX 970/X-FiTi

Reply 1045 of 1081, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gmaverick2k wrote on 2026-10-02, 05:11:

Is this the bickering thread?

You say that like it's a bad thing.

I've seen opinions.
I've seen facts.
I've seen politics.
I've seen restraint.
Most importantly, I've seen respect.

I do not know if moderators have needed to step in, but I have not noticed that they have.

Maybe I've just jinxed it but, until now, I've gained more faith in humanity here than I've lost.

Reply 1046 of 1081, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2026-10-02, 05:31:
You say that like it's a bad thing. […]
Show full quote
gmaverick2k wrote on 2026-10-02, 05:11:

Is this the bickering thread?

You say that like it's a bad thing.

I've seen opinions.
I've seen facts.
I've seen politics.
I've seen restraint.
Most importantly, I've seen respect.

I do not know if moderators have needed to step in, but I have not noticed that they have.

Maybe I've just jinxed it but, until now, I've gained more faith in humanity here than I've lost.

Just the once so far when emotions got a little heated but the parties involved reigned it back and returned to discussion, this thread has been all the things you list and I'm glad the mods have let it continue.

However we should at least try to get this thread back on topic before the mods decide to force it back themselves and delete all the prior off topic discussion.

Reply 1047 of 1081, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Trashbytes wrote on 2026-10-02, 06:17:

[...] However we should at least try to get this thread back on topic before the mods decide to force it back themselves and delete all the prior off topic discussion.

well said 😀

🎵 🎧 ⏳ ⚡ SoundVision PRO,MK1869 , PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website
💾💾💾 Looking for a full version of LIST ENHANCED 2.4y1 by V. Buerg, message me if you have it for sale! 💾💾💾

Reply 1048 of 1081, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just had a quick check of Retailers here in Australia and it seems that 400 AUD is the going rate for a single 16Gb stick of DDR5 6000 memory, it then doubles to 800AUD for two x 16Gb and scales from there.

DDR4 3200 is at 100 AUD for a single 8Gb stick and 200 AUD for two 8Gb sticks, 1 16Gb 3200 stick is averaging 170 AUD each and ~360 - 400 for two 16Gb 3200 sticks. DDR4 doesn't scale the same way DDR5 does which is likely due to the lower volume of it available.

I also checked out what a purchase of 96Gb DDR5 CL26 6000 ram I bought in December now costs ... CL36 is 3000 AUD, CL32 in that same kit is 3400 AUD, CL26 isn't available but you can extrapolate that itll be in the range of 3600 to 3800 AUD. (Possibly more due to how high that kit was binned to hit CL26)

Perhaps I should sell my Kit and buy a cheaper 32Gb kit.
What's amusing or sad is that this kit is now more expensive than ~95% of graphics cards the exceptions being the 5090, 4090 and assorted "Ricer" versions of the 5080. (percentages pulled out of my ass, take with a kilo of salt)

Just looked and the 5090 is an eyewatering $9599 AUD to a eye watering $10,000 AUD...WTF

Reply 1049 of 1081, by The Solutor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2026-10-02, 02:59:

After the cuts and on into the 80s in spite of all the problems caused by the government ownership the railways made money

Here is the main flaw of your (and sadly you're anything but alone) way of thinking.

Public services aren't there to make money, are there to provide a service to the community.

No, while its obvious that a big thing, like a national railway, a national mail service a national freshwater provider, are easy target for bribery, which should be avoided with any means, a public service running , technically, at a loss is still something that helps the society to run, to prosper, to make money, to pay taxes because that money, taxes that help the state to run (and eventually to "loss" some money with) the services it provides.

That said, a nationalized service doesn't automagically mean a service run at a loss.

I mentioned British Railways as an extreme example, but here in Italy FS/Trenitalia makes a lot of money and is already expanding in France, Spain now Germany as a competitor of their national services, which in turn will expand in other countries. Poste Italiane makes a lot of money, ENI makes a lot of money.

While the highways (perhaps something invented here) became private in 1999 at the peak of the stupid privatization trend, allowing the new owner (the Benetton family) to make huge amount of money, while keeping high prices and low maintenance, something that ultimately lead to the infamous Morandi Bridge collapse that killed 43 people in 2018.

SIP/Telecom Italia/Tim Used to be in top 5 world telephone providers, their CSELT research center ruled, and had a main role in the MPEG standards creation. Was privatized 1997 and now is the shadow of itself, albeit Telecoms are by design golden egg chickens.

I can continue for a day, but you got the idea. Public services handed by private companies aren't magic wands to solve problems, usually they are their exact opposite.

Reply 1050 of 1081, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
Shagittarius wrote on 2026-10-02, 00:52:
What i trust is people who champion socialism and communism which has killed 9 times as many people as all the wars in history. […]
Show full quote

What i trust is people who champion socialism and communism which has killed 9 times as many people as all the wars in history.

And then say it's misunderstood...

And don't offer any evidence just insult people.

Edit :Apparently what use to be a simple fact that I mentioned above is now disputed by AI. Not surprising given who mostly controls tech and the recent snuggling up to socialism by that party.

I'll try to address that then, respectfully and without trying to sound like a smart ass:

You are probably referring to Communist REGIMES who indeed killed millions (I even asked the AI if millions died under communism and it said yes, so I'm not sure what you meant about AI disputing that). Anyway, when we talk about communism today, we are talking about the political and economic system, and not about imitating the regimes that tried to implement it in the past.
You also have to take into consideration the environment at the time: Basically two superpowers fighting for dominance over their economic systems, a lot of sabotage went on on both sides. The US did many DISGUSTING things during that time to prevent communism from being successful like military invasions (Vietnam, Korea), economic embargos and supporting local anti-communist regimes. Personally, I'm from one of those countries that had an anti-comunist regime, would you like having cops invading your home? Checking your things for "subversive material"? Then taking you away for "questioning" (putting their CIA training to good use after all) and possibly murdering you? Would you like to having news/music/art going through the government for "approval" before they could be released? Lots of artists and journalists being sent to jail or fleeing the country? Well, It all happened here and in many other places, all to protect capitalism. Again, I'm not denying that comunist regimes were failures and resulted in millions of deaths (this is like you said, a simple fact), but that's not because they were communist, it's because they were REGIMES. Not to mention all the sabotage going on from both sides, it's quite hard to define who died due to a genuine failure in the economic system rather than anything else.
Another thing to consider are the deaths due to capitalism being much harder to account for, if we are going to consider the capitalist system itself (meaning, capital accumulation and not just when a country declared itself capitalist), then we can arguably include under capitalism's belt:
- Colonization and murdering of millions of indigenous people (the motivator for it was expansion and wealth accumulation)
- Slavery and death of millions from African countries (again, motivated by wealth)
- Famines over the World (India had one that killed around 10 million people, which happened under capitalism)
- People dying from lack of access to medicine or basic needs, denied to them not because there is no medicine or supplies available but because they can't afford it.

Not saying that you should agree with communism, just wanted to explain why is not a simple matter of good vs evil when discussing both systems.

PS: Discussing politics is completely relevant for this topic about RAM pricing, not to mention tech itself is closely tied to politics in current times. The fact that many people get so triggered by it just proves the point that we went through a lifetime of capitalist propaganda.

Last edited by gaffa2002 on 2026-10-02, 17:03. Edited 4 times in total.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

Reply 1051 of 1081, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know if anyone mentioned, but I just noticed hard drive prices went insane too. Thought about getting a RAID1 external box to archive some data and the 4TB drives costs as much as the 8TB drives did when I built my NAS.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 1052 of 1081, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2026-10-02, 15:55:

I don't know if anyone mentioned, but I just noticed hard drive prices went insane too. Thought about getting a RAID1 external box to archive some data and the 4TB drives costs as much as the 8TB drives did when I built my NAS.

Yup, where i live SSD prices are about 300% more expensive and regular HDDs are about double what they used to be.

Really sucks, I had been thinking about expanding my NAS and it now costs more than double to do that and get the same amount of storage the last time I expanded it.

Not to mention a lot of my existing NAS drives have a lot of hours on then (70,000+) so any existing replacements is also going to be expansive.

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2026-10-02, 16:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 1053 of 1081, by The Solutor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
RandomStranger wrote on 2026-10-02, 15:55:

I don't know if anyone mentioned, but I just noticed hard drive prices went insane too. Thought about getting a RAID1 external box to archive some data and the 4TB drives costs as much as the 8TB drives did when I built my NAS.

Yeah and HDDs prices had yet to recover from the infamous Thailand flood happened in 2011 or so.

I paid, for two refurb units, in 2016 or so more than I paid them in 2009/2010, brand new.

Reply 1054 of 1081, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2026-10-02, 15:55:

I don't know if anyone mentioned, but I just noticed hard drive prices went insane too. Thought about getting a RAID1 external box to archive some data and the 4TB drives costs as much as the 8TB drives did when I built my NAS.

Yeah the major producer of helium used for HDDs is currently tied up in a little spat with Iran and Gaza before that, Fabs could use other sources but none have the production capacity Israel does. But spinning rust in general had been climbing slowly before that spat because DataCenters are also eating up supply.

SSDs are due the the memory crunch with many fabs moving over to HBM memory production and putting a supply crunch on available Nand..

The last decade has been one thing after another hitting supply lines and causing production issues ...Covid, Suez Canal blocked and now massive issues caused from the Hormuz being closed due to the war oh and some obnoxious AI bros eating up supply too ...lots of little things causing huge impacts on prices and production.

The world barely has enough time to recover from one hit only to take another ...hopefully the next one is the AI bubble going pop and taking the AI bro scum buckets and their Data Centers with it, itll cause massive problems right across the industry in the short term but the long term would certainly look better without AI and DCs eating all the supply up.

Last edited by Trashbytes on 2026-10-02, 16:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1055 of 1081, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
RandomStranger wrote on 2026-10-02, 15:55:

I don't know if anyone mentioned, but I just noticed hard drive prices went insane too. Thought about getting a RAID1 external box to archive some data and the 4TB drives costs as much as the 8TB drives did when I built my NAS.

Everything involving memory is on high demand for data centers, sadly. So hard drives are impacted too.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

Reply 1056 of 1081, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The above is precisely why I approached the question of Marxism the way I did.

I dont think Marxist-Communism can work, "with the humans we actually have", because it leads to an enforcement class, which is fundamentally incompatible with the baseline premise.

Now, the conversation gets more complicated, due to 'pro-social programs', that is, programs concieved, designed, and implemented to address a socio-societal need (see for instance, US's Social Security program) being branded 'DREAD SOCIALISM!', mainly from people who 'already got theirs', and 'Dont wanna pay [for other people].'

You can show them the baseline statistics about how they will be better off if the majority of the system is not starving, sick, and uneducated all day long, and that they are not actually saving themselves any money or productive output by being tightwads that way; it does no good.

Conversely, there's *also* a severe problem with well-intentioned, but poorly considered, policies that truly *are* just straight up bad, that people dont want to let go of.

I favor quality pro-social program creation, well-considered regulation to enforce and sustain it, and robust enforcement to ensure compliance, coupled with stringent quality evaluation of any such proposed regulations, to avoid implementimg and enforcing bad system requirements.

It's a very tall order, on a tightrope.

Reply 1057 of 1081, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back on topic of RAM pricing:

Again, Micron says production capacity is sold out into 2028, with no signs of supply/demand finding equilibrium in sight.

Reply 1058 of 1081, by The Solutor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
wierd_w wrote on 2026-10-02, 16:33:

The above is precisely why I approached the question of Marxism the way I did.

I dont think Marxist-Communism can work

Well, the Open Source / Free SW idea is EXACTLY the same idea that is behind the Communism, applied to immaterial things, and albeit surrounded by sharks is still working today.

Albeit many real world supposedly communist regimes, were really fascist regimes with a red shirt, most of the failures are due to the not fair competition from the west side of the world.

Unless you think that Salvador Allende and his government failed because different causes than CIA intervention, something that happened in large part of the Latin America, but even in good old Europe hidden fascist forces where ready in case the Communist parties (strong in Italy, France and other EU nations) won the elections.

It's too naive to look at the matter like if the good guys were on a side and bad guys on the other.

Reply 1059 of 1081, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The FOSS community is a self-segregated community based on a shared, conserved skillset.

A nation does not enjoy that status.