VOGONS


What retro activity did you get up to today?

Topic actions

Reply 31900 of 31904, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did full servicing on my main keyboard, something I do every few years to get rid of all the dirt that accumulates over time...

The image order is reversed though, and I left out cleaned keycaps because of 5 attachments limit.

I hope to get my hands on one more of these keyboards, I have been using this one for over 20 years now and the wear and tear shows - many of the keys have the markings quite worn away.
It is also one of the first keyboards with the windows keys, manufactured right around win95 release. Label on the bottom says 1995 week 34, which is the week from 21st to 27th august. Win95 wsa released on 24th according to Wikipedia.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 31901 of 31904, by RetroLizard

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
Tiido wrote on Today, 12:12:
I did full servicing on my main keyboard, something I do every few years to get rid of all the dirt that accumulates over time.. […]
Show full quote

I did full servicing on my main keyboard, something I do every few years to get rid of all the dirt that accumulates over time...

The image order is reversed though, and I left out cleaned keycaps because of 5 attachments limit.

I hope to get my hands on one more of these keyboards, I have been using this one for over 20 years now and the wear and tear shows - many of the keys have the markings quite worn away.
It is also one of the first keyboards with the windows keys, manufactured right around win95 release. Label on the bottom says 1995 week 34, which is the week from 21st to 27th august. Win95 wsa released on 24th according to Wikipedia.

That keyboard looks nice. I'll be cleaning one of my vintage keyboards out one of these days.

Do any vintage keyboards have a full PCB instead of the flexible ones?

Reply 31902 of 31904, by Nicolas 2000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

A lot in the last few days:

-Finalized my 486 DX50. With two VLB cards and a 50MHz bus, you are already pushing your luck. So anyway I set it at zero wait states. After bringing the PC to operating temperature (idle for 5 minutes), this works absolutely stable. This must be a world record for DX50. 😀

Well that was a fun exercise but the DX50 simply is too slow for the kind of games I run. So I've sold it to stick to the "3 PC's to cover everything retro" plan. I'm fully focused on the HighScreen 200MMX to become my pre-acceleration DOS machine. So anything 2D and CPU based 3D. (I have a P3 1000 with TI4200 and Voodoo² SLI for anything accelerated up to DX7 and an XP rocket for DX8 and above) For starters, I have made my 12MB Matrox Millennium 2 functional. Those early Matroxes are cursed for accelerated 3D (tend to not show textures, glitch on smoke and transparency etc) but for 2D they are beyond superb and for a passthrough of CPU based 3D they also work fine. And 12MB is of course bragging rights. It also runs a Highscreen ESS1868f based soundcard that sounds very clean and has lovely DOS compatibility. No wavetable installed, header is available. Next phase will be installing some more demanding games and seeing if everything behaves.

Reply 31903 of 31904, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote on Today, 12:12:
I did full servicing on my main keyboard, something I do every few years to get rid of all the dirt that accumulates over time.. […]
Show full quote

I did full servicing on my main keyboard, something I do every few years to get rid of all the dirt that accumulates over time...

The image order is reversed though, and I left out cleaned keycaps because of 5 attachments limit.

I hope to get my hands on one more of these keyboards, I have been using this one for over 20 years now and the wear and tear shows - many of the keys have the markings quite worn away.
It is also one of the first keyboards with the windows keys, manufactured right around win95 release. Label on the bottom says 1995 week 34, which is the week from 21st to 27th august. Win95 wsa released on 24th according to Wikipedia.

I just recently cleaned a batch of keyboards and I had a couple with those keys and mechanisms.
Boy, you must be careful.
What layout is that?

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

- "One hates the specialty unobtainium parts, the other laughs in greed listing them under a ridiculous price" - kotel studios
- Bare metal ist krieg.

Reply 31904 of 31904, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm quite fond of this type of key mechanism, I wish to find another such keyboard, hopefully with much less wear 🤣

It is the Dvorak layout. I have been using it for a decade now I think, I'm not actually sure when I switched but it was a while ago.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜