VOGONS


Pascal GPU support in WinXP

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 40, by SupraGSX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Barley wrote on 2026-10-02, 17:22:

Interesting! Especially for XP/7 dual boots!

I read the readme, but could not determine if this driver fixed the issues with custom resolutions, aspect ratios/gpu scaling, and detecting monitors as televisions. As a result of these issues, many use the 355.98 driver. Do you know if these issues were fixed?

Newest release addresses this should be at parody with 355.98

Reply 21 of 40, by Andalu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
SupraGSX wrote on 2026-10-03, 15:56:

I've validated it on a m4000 and 980ti so I know those work. Does the stock 368.81 driver work for you? What monitor do you have?

I'm testing on a 4k monitor at 60Hz max. The stock driver v368.81 works properly.

The GTX960 allows the max resolution of 3840x2160 @60Hz on the HDMI port with the driver versions 355.98, 368.81 and 368.91 after modifying nv4_mini.sys and nv4_disp.dll.
Here an image uploaded some months ago:
https://ibb.co/c7317jF

Reply 22 of 40, by SupraGSX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Andalu wrote on 2026-10-03, 16:14:
I'm testing on a 4k monitor at 60Hz max. The stock driver v368.81 works properly. […]
Show full quote
SupraGSX wrote on 2026-10-03, 15:56:

I've validated it on a m4000 and 980ti so I know those work. Does the stock 368.81 driver work for you? What monitor do you have?

I'm testing on a 4k monitor at 60Hz max. The stock driver v368.81 works properly.

The GTX960 allows the max resolution of 3840x2160 @60Hz on the HDMI port with the driver versions 355.98, 368.81 and 368.91 after modifying nv4_mini.sys and nv4_disp.dll.
Here an image uploaded some months ago:
https://ibb.co/c7317jF

Interesting are you positive the new install overwrote the older version? Since they're both 382.69 version numbers it could cause a situation where the driver already thinks it's installed is my only guess. The behavior you're describing of a blank display was present in the first driver and I could reproduce it on HBR2 cards. It was caused by the fallback for HBR3 detection not being implemented well enough (originally I built this to run a 1080ti at HBR3) Since I decided to release it publicly I'm fixing some of those bugs. In my testing the 10-3-26 version negotiates down to HBR2/HBR/RBR properly now. Unfortunately, I can only test on my monitor which is the Alienware ultrawide qd-oled. For HDMI there's a 594mhz cap which is HDMI2.0 but it should negotiate down properly as well now. I never had problems getting 3440x1440 at 100hz on either of the released drivers using HDMI on a 980ti so that's even more odd.

Reply 23 of 40, by Andalu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
SupraGSX wrote on 2026-10-03, 16:45:

Interesting are you positive the new install overwrote the older version? Since they're both 382.69 version numbers it could cause a situation where the driver already thinks it's installed is my only guess. The behavior you're describing of a blank display was present in the first driver and I could reproduce it on HBR2 cards. It was caused by the fallback for HBR3 detection not being implemented well enough (originally I built this to run a 1080ti at HBR3) Since I decided to release it publicly I'm fixing some of those bugs. In my testing the 10-3-26 version negotiates down to HBR2/HBR/RBR properly now. Unfortunately, I can only test on my monitor which is the Alienware ultrawide qd-oled. For HDMI there's a 594mhz cap which is HDMI2.0 but it should negotiate down properly as well now. I never had problems getting 3440x1440 at 100hz on either of the released drivers using HDMI on a 980ti so that's even more odd.

I just tested both Forceware releases on a different XP system and monitor (34" widescreen 3440x1440@144Hz) with a GT730 (GK208B) card.
In both cases the max resolution is 1920x1080 on the HDMI port. Here is an image with the first Forceware release:
https://ibb.co/v6yQFT4J

To avoid any problems, I run the tests on a fresh XP install.

Reply 24 of 40, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maxwell-Pascal cards tested had their firmware updated or not ?
Source : LINK

Last edited by agent_x007 on 2026-10-03, 22:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25 of 40, by JediK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

4K60hz and 1440p120hz are working on a 980ti + Windows XP sp3 32bit + Forceware.382.69.exe (version from yesterday). 3dMark2003 and 2006 runs fine.
https://ibb.co/KzsdGzSG

Reply 26 of 40, by Andalu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
agent_x007 wrote on 2026-10-03, 18:56:

Pascal cards tested had their firmware updated or not ?
Source : LINK

Thanks for the tip. My GTX960 has already the updated firmare. I checked again just to be sure.
In the next few days, I'll check to make sure the Pascal cards also have an updated firmware. My goal now is to find a way to get 3840x2160 @60Hz also on the DP port for my GTX960 with the Forceware driver .

Reply 27 of 40, by SupraGSX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Andalu wrote on 2026-10-03, 17:51:
I just tested both Forceware releases on a different XP system and monitor (34" widescreen 3440x1440@144Hz) with a GT730 (GK208B […]
Show full quote
SupraGSX wrote on 2026-10-03, 16:45:

Interesting are you positive the new install overwrote the older version? Since they're both 382.69 version numbers it could cause a situation where the driver already thinks it's installed is my only guess. The behavior you're describing of a blank display was present in the first driver and I could reproduce it on HBR2 cards. It was caused by the fallback for HBR3 detection not being implemented well enough (originally I built this to run a 1080ti at HBR3) Since I decided to release it publicly I'm fixing some of those bugs. In my testing the 10-3-26 version negotiates down to HBR2/HBR/RBR properly now. Unfortunately, I can only test on my monitor which is the Alienware ultrawide qd-oled. For HDMI there's a 594mhz cap which is HDMI2.0 but it should negotiate down properly as well now. I never had problems getting 3440x1440 at 100hz on either of the released drivers using HDMI on a 980ti so that's even more odd.

I just tested both Forceware releases on a different XP system and monitor (34" widescreen 3440x1440@144Hz) with a GT730 (GK208B) card.
In both cases the max resolution is 1920x1080 on the HDMI port. Here is an image with the first Forceware release:
https://ibb.co/v6yQFT4J

To avoid any problems, I run the tests on a fresh XP install.

Does it accept a higher custom resolution?

Reply 29 of 40, by jasonz001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I have a GT 1030 Id like to try. Are you actively taking contributions?

Reply 30 of 40, by Andalu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
SupraGSX wrote on 2026-10-03, 22:30:

Does it accept a higher custom resolution?

I can select higher resolutions in the nvidia control panel, but they are just fake resolutions, basically a zoomed in 1920x1080.

Reply 31 of 40, by SupraGSX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
jasonz001 wrote on Yesterday, 18:22:

I have a GT 1030 Id like to try. Are you actively taking contributions?

Not currently.

For gp107 I'm confident if I had a 1050 ti to test with I could make it work. For gp108 I'm not as certain.

If somebody wants to donate either 1050 ti or gt 1030 to the cause I'd be open to trying to make it work.

Reply 32 of 40, by SupraGSX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Andalu wrote on Yesterday, 19:23:
SupraGSX wrote on 2026-10-03, 22:30:

Does it accept a higher custom resolution?

I can select higher resolutions in the nvidia control panel, but they are just fake resolutions, basically a zoomed in 1920x1080.

I'm not following you. If you select a higher resolution and you go to a game and try to play in that higher resolution what happens?

Reply 33 of 40, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like that virtual desktop thing is on.... (and I never figured out why certain installs got it and others didn't)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 34 of 40, by Andalu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
SupraGSX wrote on Yesterday, 22:35:

I'm not following you. If you select a higher resolution and you go to a game and try to play in that higher resolution what happens?

I'm referring to resolutions higher than 1920 x 1080 which don't show the desktop correctly.
Below the same XP desktop with the GTX960 connected to the HDMI port:

1920 x 1080 (desktop OK)
https://ibb.co/YFCXgkg4

2560 x 1440 (desktop zoomed in to the right and down. The CPU-Z and Display Properties windows are no longer visible unless you move the mouse to the right edge of the screen.)
https://ibb.co/MJh5QGs

I hope I've clarified what the problem is. In this regard, here is a screenshot captured on the same machine with driver v368.81 and the patched nv4_mini.sys and nv4_disp.dll files where the 3840 x 2160 resolution works properly:
https://ibb.co/MkcfVGvg

Reply 35 of 40, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Andalu wrote on Today, 13:05:
I'm referring to resolutions higher than 1920 x 1080 which don't show the desktop correctly. Below the same XP desktop with the […]
Show full quote
SupraGSX wrote on Yesterday, 22:35:

I'm not following you. If you select a higher resolution and you go to a game and try to play in that higher resolution what happens?

I'm referring to resolutions higher than 1920 x 1080 which don't show the desktop correctly.
Below the same XP desktop with the GTX960 connected to the HDMI port:

1920 x 1080 (desktop OK)
https://ibb.co/YFCXgkg4

2560 x 1440 (desktop zoomed in to the right and down. The CPU-Z and Display Properties windows are no longer visible unless you move the mouse to the right edge of the screen.)
https://ibb.co/MJh5QGs

I hope I've clarified what the problem is. In this regard, here is a screenshot captured on the same machine with driver v368.81 and the patched nv4_mini.sys and nv4_disp.dll files where the 3840 x 2160 resolution works properly:
https://ibb.co/MkcfVGvg

Turn off DSR in the NVidia control panel, you have it turned on for some reason. DSR allows you to have resolutions larger than your monitors native resolution, what you describe is exactly how DSR works.

Its possible these modded drivers have it turned on for some reason when they shouldnt.

Reply 36 of 40, by The Solutor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

But beside that, what kind of masochism can lead to use such stupidly high resolutions in XP?

1920x1080 is already too much in XP, but somewhat can be managed with the primitive DPI management XP had. But above that?

Reply 37 of 40, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Solutor wrote on Today, 13:45:

But beside that, what kind of masochism can lead to use such stupidly high resolutions in XP?

1920x1080 is already too much in XP, but somewhat can be managed with the primitive DPI management XP had. But above that?

No idea.. XP UI scaling is shockingly bad. Though Windows in general has terrible UI scaling even Win 11 has trouble with it at times.

But 4k for XP .. yeah not a resolution I would ever use, 2k might be doable for media but the UI would be stupidly hard to work with.

Reply 38 of 40, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Trashbytes wrote on Today, 13:41:
Andalu wrote on Today, 13:05:
I'm referring to resolutions higher than 1920 x 1080 which don't show the desktop correctly. Below the same XP desktop with the […]
Show full quote
SupraGSX wrote on Yesterday, 22:35:

I'm not following you. If you select a higher resolution and you go to a game and try to play in that higher resolution what happens?

I'm referring to resolutions higher than 1920 x 1080 which don't show the desktop correctly.
Below the same XP desktop with the GTX960 connected to the HDMI port:

1920 x 1080 (desktop OK)
https://ibb.co/YFCXgkg4

2560 x 1440 (desktop zoomed in to the right and down. The CPU-Z and Display Properties windows are no longer visible unless you move the mouse to the right edge of the screen.)
https://ibb.co/MJh5QGs

I hope I've clarified what the problem is. In this regard, here is a screenshot captured on the same machine with driver v368.81 and the patched nv4_mini.sys and nv4_disp.dll files where the 3840 x 2160 resolution works properly:
https://ibb.co/MkcfVGvg

Turn off DSR in the NVidia control panel, you have it turned on for some reason. DSR allows you to have resolutions larger than your monitors native resolution, what you describe is exactly how DSR works.

Its possible these modded drivers have it turned on for some reason when they shouldnt.

This has nothing to do with DRS. Actually DSR is not supported at all by WinXP drivers. These virtual resolutions have been supported on XP (and ony on XP) for a long time on digital displays. Long before DSR was introduced. The problem reveals that XP detects the native resolution as 1920x1080.

Website, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper
x86 microarchitecture benchmark (MandelX)

Reply 39 of 40, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Solutor wrote on Today, 13:45:

But beside that, what kind of masochism can lead to use such stupidly high resolutions in XP?

1920x1080 is already too much in XP, but somewhat can be managed with the primitive DPI management XP had. But above that?

It was more use when you were stuck on an 800x600 screen and had to use some application that only rendered right at 1024x768

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.