First post, by jdredd
I know... I know... AI Slop.... Don't attack me too much please!
I used this as a good demo to test my DOS Bridge setup. Using Claude Code to work with my 8086 system and 486 system.
The 486 would compile and test the game and then it would get deployed to the 8086 machine to test and repeat.
My goals was to use real hardware to compile, run and test and get real results on the 8086 and handle any bugs in DOS Bridge.
I also really only cared about MY setup. Having a V30 CPU. Having a 1mb VGA card. Using adlib. Using a PicoMem as cheap 4mb of ram.
Things one COULD have gotten back in the day ( at the cost of well... a bit of money) ...
I like to think my goals were all met.
Some details
How it was built
• DOS Bridge ties it all together. It's my open-source tool that lets a modern Windows PC send programs to real DOS machines over the network, run them, and get the output back. Every build, benchmark and test in this project ran through it, with the PicoMEM cards providing the network.
• A 486 at 66 MHz is the build machine. It compiles the game with Borland C++ 3.1 and Turbo Assembler, the same tools id Software used. Borland's compiler needs a 286 or better, so it can't run on the V30.
• The 486 also does the heavy testing. Every change is checked against id's original renderer, across the whole attract loop and 240 generated demos covering all 60 maps, by screen checksum. "Identical to id" means checksum-identical.
• The V30 is the target. Every optimization was timed on it and kept only if it measured faster: about 100 steps.
• Hand-written 8086 assembly for the renderer, sprite scaler, game logic and sound.
• Self-modifying code: per-frame values written straight into the instructions that use them.
• A profiler built into the game showed where the time actually went, and a video capture card and a remote-controlled smart plug let both machines be watched and recovered from afar.
Source code
• This project, Wolfenstein 3-D for 8086-class PCs: https://github.com/jdredd87/Wolf3D-V30
(the exact version is the main branch, the BSP version is on the bsp branch; the lab notes, every measurement and BENCHMARKS.md are in the repo)
• id Software's original Wolfenstein 3-D source: https://github.com/id-Software/wolf3d
• DOS Bridge: https://github.com/jdredd87/DOSBridge
Video @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sc_jc7XlHY&feature=youtu.be
I will have a 2nd video out with longer game demo play.... as this isn't the greatest example, and yes the video is long.
It will probably just show longer demo game play, and skip the original game code logic runs...
I will say the port view is 2 steps down. So NOT full screen mode in the video above. But even full screen mode with all the options turned on to dummy it down, is still very playable.
I did a number few levels and felt that if I was a kid back in the day, and this was my system, I would have still played the heck of out of it.
I do have a 386 25mhz to test out soon. I just didn't have another PicoMem card for it ... so I'll swap a PicoMem card over to it soon and see how well it plays.
So maybe another video soon for the 386 25mhz box.