VOGONS


Reply 40 of 57, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Version 0.9.1 is now out, this adds OpenGL and Direct3D for a Rage Mobility M which is basically a Rage Pro.

OpenGL performance is still a lot worse than the native driver but I wanted to start on this as it should be very similar to Rage 2.

I’ve got a 4mb Rage IIc on order so will add that afterwards.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 41 of 57, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mwdmeyer wrote on 2026-09-29, 08:59:

Version 0.9.1 is now out, this adds OpenGL and Direct3D for a Rage Mobility M which is basically a Rage Pro.

OpenGL performance is still a lot worse than the native driver but I wanted to start on this as it should be very similar to Rage 2.

I’ve got a 4mb Rage IIc on order so will add that afterwards.

Thanks, this 0.91 version already installs for me and it works with Mach64 VT2, i dont have mobility cards.
Maybe its better to remove subsystem, if its 1002 and if its 4c4d, that would be enough, like you added vt2.

"Velocity9x ATI Mach64 VT2"=V9x.Install.mach64-vt2,PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5654
"Velocity9x ATI Rage Mobility-M"=V9x.Install.rage-mobility-m,PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4C4D

Did not work for regular Rage Pro 4742,they should be similar to mobility and other rage3
Added other ATi cards inf here after Mach64 VT2 up to Rage2/3 (VT4 is Rage2 based card)

Dont expect miracles from Rage2c, its many times slower than Rage3, but it has D3D.
ATi did not release any OGL for Rage2c and Rage2/+ OGL was for NT3.51 / NT4.0 only.

Best ATi Rage3 drivers for 3DCIF / Direct3D / OpenGL / GLUT / DVD : ATi RagePro drivers and software
33+MiniGL / OpenGL Win 9x dll files for all ATi-Rage3 based cards : ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 42 of 57, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you, I'm really hoping to get the Rage IIc tomorrow (long weekend in Sydney) and then I will add these extra cards.

I've just added async support (so CPU now isn't waiting for GPU to finishing drawing frame) to the GMA 950 and have got a 50% speed increase! That will be in the next release. HL1 in Direct3D went from 26fps to 39fps.

I've also added some texture improvements to the pipeline for the rage so it should consume less vram.

I will need to add AGP memory or something in future though.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 43 of 57, by Match451

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Super cool project!
There were a lot of early graphics cards that never got good drivers. I always wondered what they might be capable of if they had better support.
I look forward to reading more about your progress and watching your videos.

Any plans to add support for the Nvidia Riva 128?

Reply 44 of 57, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks yes it has been a fun project. Nvidia always had pretty good drivers so I'm not sure how much I can add to those. I am planning to add SiS 6326, Matrox Millennium I/II, Matrox Mystique and Trident 3DImage 9750 at least, big bit of work there.

Looks like my Rage card is delayed unfortunately but that will be my main focus after the Intel GMA950 (and I want todo Gen4/5/6 etc in future too).

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 45 of 57, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
marxveix wrote on 2026-09-29, 13:26:
Thanks, this 0.91 version already installs for me and it works with Mach64 VT2, i dont have mobility cards. Maybe its better to […]
Show full quote
mwdmeyer wrote on 2026-09-29, 08:59:

Version 0.9.1 is now out, this adds OpenGL and Direct3D for a Rage Mobility M which is basically a Rage Pro.

OpenGL performance is still a lot worse than the native driver but I wanted to start on this as it should be very similar to Rage 2.

I’ve got a 4mb Rage IIc on order so will add that afterwards.

Thanks, this 0.91 version already installs for me and it works with Mach64 VT2, i dont have mobility cards.
Maybe its better to remove subsystem, if its 1002 and if its 4c4d, that would be enough, like you added vt2.

"Velocity9x ATI Mach64 VT2"=V9x.Install.mach64-vt2,PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5654
"Velocity9x ATI Rage Mobility-M"=V9x.Install.rage-mobility-m,PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4C4D

Did not work for regular Rage Pro 4742,they should be similar to mobility and other rage3
Added other ATi cards inf here after Mach64 VT2 up to Rage2/3 (VT4 is Rage2 based card)

Dont expect miracles from Rage2c, its many times slower than Rage3, but it has D3D.
ATi did not release any OGL for Rage2c and Rage2/+ OGL was for NT3.51 / NT4.0 only.

Version 0.10 is out with the first release for the Rage IIc, including OpenGL 1.1 support https://github.com/michaeldale/velocity9x/rel … ses/tag/v0.10.0

I've also added the extra cards in the INI file.

If something goes wrong in a game or 3D program, run V9XTRACE.EXE (part of the zip download, not installed by default) straight after it happens, before you restart Windows.

Create an issue on github and send through the whole C:\V9XDIAG folder zipped

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 46 of 57, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mwdmeyer wrote on 2026-10-03, 08:24:
Version 0.10 is out with the first release for the Rage IIc, including OpenGL 1.1 support https://github.com/michaeldale/velocit […]
Show full quote
marxveix wrote on 2026-09-29, 13:26:
Thanks, this 0.91 version already installs for me and it works with Mach64 VT2, i dont have mobility cards. Maybe its better to […]
Show full quote
mwdmeyer wrote on 2026-09-29, 08:59:

Version 0.9.1 is now out, this adds OpenGL and Direct3D for a Rage Mobility M which is basically a Rage Pro.

OpenGL performance is still a lot worse than the native driver but I wanted to start on this as it should be very similar to Rage 2.

I’ve got a 4mb Rage IIc on order so will add that afterwards.

Thanks, this 0.91 version already installs for me and it works with Mach64 VT2, i dont have mobility cards.
Maybe its better to remove subsystem, if its 1002 and if its 4c4d, that would be enough, like you added vt2.

"Velocity9x ATI Mach64 VT2"=V9x.Install.mach64-vt2,PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5654
"Velocity9x ATI Rage Mobility-M"=V9x.Install.rage-mobility-m,PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4C4D

Did not work for regular Rage Pro 4742,they should be similar to mobility and other rage3
Added other ATi cards inf here after Mach64 VT2 up to Rage2/3 (VT4 is Rage2 based card)

Dont expect miracles from Rage2c, its many times slower than Rage3, but it has D3D.
ATi did not release any OGL for Rage2c and Rage2/+ OGL was for NT3.51 / NT4.0 only.

Version 0.10 is out with the first release for the Rage IIc, including OpenGL 1.1 support https://github.com/michaeldale/velocity9x/rel … ses/tag/v0.10.0

I've also added the extra cards in the INI file.

If something goes wrong in a game or 3D program, run V9XTRACE.EXE (part of the zip download, not installed by default) straight after it happens, before you restart Windows.

Create an issue on github and send through the whole C:\V9XDIAG folder zipped

I can cofirm that for the desktop and direct3d/opengl works now with Rage Pro AGP 4742 / Rage XL AGP 474D, but direct3d/opengl is not perfect (possibly other Rage3 cards as well).

Best ATi Rage3 drivers for 3DCIF / Direct3D / OpenGL / GLUT / DVD : ATi RagePro drivers and software
33+MiniGL / OpenGL Win 9x dll files for all ATi-Rage3 based cards : ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 47 of 57, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes there is more work to go, if you can let me know program and run V9XTRACE.EXE (from zip) and send me C:\V9XDIAG that will help!

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 48 of 57, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will send some extra information later for Rage3, at the moment i can confirm that Rage II (4754) and Rage II+DVD (4755) also works with 0.10.0 (dxdiag tests works better for Rage2).

Best ATi Rage3 drivers for 3DCIF / Direct3D / OpenGL / GLUT / DVD : ATi RagePro drivers and software
33+MiniGL / OpenGL Win 9x dll files for all ATi-Rage3 based cards : ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 49 of 57, by voodoo5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

So the driver developement is only done via ki ?

Reply 52 of 57, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alliance Semiconductor ProMotion AT3D support when? (joking).
Awesome progress you're making! I should have some laptops with GMA950 to give it a try.

Any plans of adding GL_ARB_multitexture besides GL_SGIS_multitexture?

Reply 53 of 57, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oooh yes I have a 3dfx rush so should be possible.

Everything anyone asks for will be added to this driver!!

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 54 of 57, by The Solutor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
mwdmeyer wrote on Yesterday, 08:14:

Everything anyone asks for will be added to this driver!!

Uhh... if you put the matter this way, I'd like to play Crysis in Virtual PC 😜

Seriusly, sadly 3DMark 2001 can't run in VPC because not enough video memory, even at 640x480 🙁

Reply 55 of 57, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mwdmeyer wrote on Yesterday, 03:04:

Version 0.12 is now out

https://github.com/michaeldale/velocity9x/rel … ses/tag/v0.12.0

Two major improvements with this release, multitexture support in OpenGL (for cards that support it) and Direct3D 8 path.

The thing that is impossible with Rage3 OpenGLs, is to use OpenGL with 8bit palleted textures even if Direct3D supports it well.
For that i use view wrappers, like GLDirect 3.0 and also Glide2CIF OpenGL works with 8bit palleted textures at Rage3 OpenGL 1.1.

ATi Rage Pro has single-pass multitexturing support on Direct3D 6.0 and OpenGL (same for other Rage3 cards, more info here)
https://web.archive.org/web/20000408223854/ht … ltex/index.html

Last edited by marxveix on 2026-10-07, 11:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Best ATi Rage3 drivers for 3DCIF / Direct3D / OpenGL / GLUT / DVD : ATi RagePro drivers and software
33+MiniGL / OpenGL Win 9x dll files for all ATi-Rage3 based cards : ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 56 of 57, by The Solutor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

While Tr1 in VPC using Glidos still crashes (I guess because the intro videos rather than the engine itself, they are problematic even in VMware) Tr2 works, and albeit not buttery smooth, is fast enough to be playable. Which is something...

Reply 57 of 57, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
marxveix wrote on Yesterday, 10:43:

ATi Rage Pro has single-pass multitexturing support on Direct3D 6.0 and OpenGL (same for other Rage3 cards, more info here)
https://web.archive.org/web/20000408223854/ht … ltex/index.html

Thanks for this, it has been tested and will be added to next version of the driver, it needed a bit of work. Currently only for OpenGL, I will add in Direct3D later.

Seeing about a 8-16% performance improvement in HL1 and Quake2.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com