VOGONS


First post, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello I have this P4S533 that I intend to use a a reliable AGP testbed since it is universal agp.

The caps all look good, do not see anything strange but I know that they can simply be drained (?).

Anyway:

- Updating her with latest bios beta from ASUs website always fail (black screen). Tried multiple times.

- Using a high powered AGP card is challenging, a fx5900 just stay dead, a x1950 pro hangs seconds after entering xp when drivers are installed . A 9800xt worked fine.

Can it be an issue of the motherboard itself and I should change model totally?
Suggestions?

Reply 1 of 3, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought a P4s533 brand spanking new back in the day. I experienced that it was highly unstable if overclocked even the slightest. I don't know if it has a general stability problem. My friend who bought it, ran it for years at stock speeds. But that was my one and only adventure with a non-Intel chipset. I could suspect that it may need some chipset drivers to run completely stable ..?

If it's dual it's kind of cool ... 😎

--- GA586DX --- P2B-DS --- BP6 ---

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 2 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it's unstable at stock and can probably be easily damaged by power outages. There's an old 2003 forum thread out there with funny symptoms when it was a brand new board. It's definitely A SUS board, which is a shame because it's a great board (on paper)

apsosig.png
long live PCem
FUCK "AI". It is a tool of fascism. We do not need it. We do not use it.
Debian's fucked

Reply 3 of 3, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on Yesterday, 20:43:

I bought a P4s533 brand spanking new back in the day. I experienced that it was highly unstable if overclocked even the slightest. I don't know if it has a general stability problem. My friend who bought it, ran it for years at stock speeds. But that was my one and only adventure with a non-Intel chipset. I could suspect that it may need some chipset drivers to run completely stable ..?

Do you have direct experience with the beta bios? Is it a totally fake file on ASUs website itself?

I remember same situation with a p4s800, the file on Asus website is fake and bricks the motherboard.
Which is unbelievable.