VOGONS


dummy driver for diagnostics card

Topic actions

First post, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all

For my testing system (Celly 433 on BX440 board) I have a PCI diagnostics card, kind of permanently attached. It loads Windows 98se with all drivers it needs, but ofc the diagnostics card cannot find a driver and it's reported as such.

Is there a chance there is a driver that just report the card as 'diagnostics card' in device manager instead of 'pci device'? I know the'driver' won't do anything but it de clutters device manager.

Sometimes I test other cards next to it and have 2 or 3 'pci device' notes next to each other and becomes confusing for which one I need to install drivers. So there out world come in handy.

Last edited by waterbeesje on 2026-10-11, 19:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 1 of 20, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if you mean the POST card plugged into PCI slot those dont have any drivers and are invisible to th system

https://github.com/raszpl/sigrok-disk FM/MFM/RLL decoder
https://github.com/raszpl/FIC-486-GAC-2-Cache-Module (AT&T Globalyst)
https://github.com/raszpl/386RC-16 ram board
https://github.com/raszpl/Zenith_ZBIOS Zenith Z-386 MFM-300 ZBIOS disassembly

Reply 2 of 20, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know Windows cannot do anything with it and doesn't require drivers. But it does show up in device Manager, I can lookup the ID as well.
It definitely is the post card: when I remove it, it is gone in device manager too. Add it again and it shows up again.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 3 of 20, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does the PCI diagnostics card show up as a PCI device? Post a screen shot of what get's reported, also include the detailed property screen shots.

At a guess you need to use a nodriver driver, I have attached the one I wrote for Windows 2000 and later systems, I have no idea if it will work on W9x even if you add the PCI diagnostics card to the .INF file.

Update: Deleted Windows 2000 and later NoDriver Driver V1.1.0.0 as V1.2.0.0 is now the latest

Last edited by red-ray on 2026-10-10, 13:49. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 4 of 20, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These are some pictures I've made earlier. I've is the diagnostics card, one is a screenshot which points out the device properties.

I'm going to take a look at the driver later, seems the solution I'm looking for 😀

By the way, this particular card is totally worthless for ISA: on most boards the leads are too short and you can misalign the card on ISA to sort them if the board does make contact.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 5 of 20, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
waterbeesje wrote on Yesterday, 11:15:

These are some pictures I've made earlier. I've is the diagnostics card, one is a screenshot which points out the device properties.

It's not what I asked for/need, bottom left of below is what I asked for, to add your device to my driver I need the PCI Vendor + Device IDs, 8086 + 3A20 in my example.

file.php?id=250586

Reply 6 of 20, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on Yesterday, 11:43:

I need the PCI Vendor + Device IDs, 8086 + 3A20 in my example.

The VID/PID is shown in the screenshot: 4348 (CH = WinChipHead which matches the WCH311 chip shown), 4447 (DG = "Debug", probably).

Reply 7 of 20, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote on Yesterday, 12:08:

The VID/PID is shown in the screenshot: 4348 (CH = WinChipHead which matches the WCH311 chip shown), 4447 (DG = "Debug", probably).

I know, I asked for a Device Manager screen shot how does telling me this provide what I asked for?

Reply 8 of 20, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well gee, I would have thought answering your statement "I need the PCI Vendor and Device IDs" with said vendor and device IDs would be pretty self-explanatory.

Reply 9 of 20, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I noticed I have the same post card so installed it in a test system and updated my NoDriver Driver to support it.

Below there are the Device Manager before and after images.

file.php?id=250594

I M$ signed it so I could install it on W10, but as it's SHA2 W9x will say it's not signed. It should be OK on Vista/W7 if they have the SHA2 patch (KB4474419)

Reply 10 of 20, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
waterbeesje wrote on Yesterday, 11:15:

These are some pictures I've made earlier.

😮 I stand corrected. This is weird tho, maybe artifact of CH311L (undocumented) using custom modified https://www.wch-ic.com/downloads/CH365DS1_PDF.html die? PCI POST card has no need for any PCI mapping of anything.

https://github.com/raszpl/sigrok-disk FM/MFM/RLL decoder
https://github.com/raszpl/FIC-486-GAC-2-Cache-Module (AT&T Globalyst)
https://github.com/raszpl/386RC-16 ram board
https://github.com/raszpl/Zenith_ZBIOS Zenith Z-386 MFM-300 ZBIOS disassembly

Reply 11 of 20, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on Yesterday, 23:26:

😮 I stand corrected. This is weird tho, maybe artifact of CH311L (undocumented) using custom modified https://www.wch-ic.com/downloads/CH365DS1_PDF.html die? PCI POST card has no need for any PCI mapping of anything.

It's not that unusual, I have a TR631 PRO what shows up as a PCIe to PCI bridge then I plug it into a PCIe slot, but when the system posts the display stays as 00, I added Menu->Edit->Options->Debug Port 80 to my SIV utility and that does not work either, any ideas?

file.php?id=250662
file.php?id=250664

When I plug it into a PCI slot all is as expected.

Reply 12 of 20, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, great work! I want to make some screenshots later today to compare. Just have to find a free moment when all of the kids do their own stuff.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 13 of 20, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
waterbeesje wrote on Today, 09:48:

Wow, great work! I want to make some screenshots later today to compare.

Good, I hoped it would, but would not have been surprised if it needed adjusting. I wonder does the system have Windows 2000 or XP-x32 and if so does NODRIVER.inf work OK?, it worked OK on XP-x64, but whinged that it's not M$ signed.

file.php?id=250668

I just noticed you said the system is a Kelly 433, I + Google have never heard of such a computer system and wonder, how does my SIV utility do on it? Please will you try it and post the Menu->File->Save Local file so I can check and if needed adjust SIV.

waterbeesje wrote on Yesterday, 06:36:

For my testing system (Kelly 433 on BX440 board)

Note for SIV to report the CH311L as such you will need to get the very latest PCIDEVS.txt, so do this do Menu🡒Help🡒SIV Lookup then press [ WEB UPD ].

file.php?id=250667

Reply 14 of 20, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Im guessing waterbeesj meant Celly 433 as in Celeron 😀

>I plug it into a PCIe slot, but when the system posts the display stays as 00

I wouldnt be surprised if its system dependent with some chipsets/CPUs treating 0x80 in a special way and routing it straight to LPC bypassing PCIe

https://github.com/raszpl/sigrok-disk FM/MFM/RLL decoder
https://github.com/raszpl/FIC-486-GAC-2-Cache-Module (AT&T Globalyst)
https://github.com/raszpl/386RC-16 ram board
https://github.com/raszpl/Zenith_ZBIOS Zenith Z-386 MFM-300 ZBIOS disassembly

Reply 15 of 20, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on Today, 11:12:

Im guessing waterbeesj meant Celly 433 as in Celeron 😀

I wouldnt be surprised if its system dependent with some chipsets/CPUs treating 0x80 in a special way and routing it straight to LPC bypassing PCIe

After posting I wondered the same, my initial reading was that it was built by Kelly Computing or similar and they had customised the SMBIOS. I wonder, which Motherboard is it?

Maybe, port 0x80 works via the Intel 82801JR (ICH10R) Hub Interface to PCI Bridge, but not via the ASMedia ASM1080 PCIe to PCI Bridge.

file.php?id=250670

waterbeesje wrote on Yesterday, 06:36:

Wow, great work! I want to make some screenshots later today to compare. Just have to find a free moment when all of the kids do their own stuff.

Please will you change the thread title to winchiphead ch311l driver so that others stand a chance of finding this thread via Google.

To do this edit you initial post, I also wonder should Kelly 433 BX440 be Celly 433 440BX?

Reply 16 of 20, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah yes, you've spotted the big typo... Celly without K and some silly autocorrect from my phone combined with trying to to a bit faster than I should.
The system contains a regular Tyan motherboard, s370 and 440bx chipset. Along goes 64MB SDRAM and some tnt2 card.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 17 of 20, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got to some more screenshots. Pics attached.
The windows 98 device manager info doesn't say much, SIV says a lot more (nice tool by the way, haven't used it before) on line 0-18-0

I tried the nodriver but windows doesn't install it. It just says no driver found in the folder. I did change the signature in the .inf from "windows NT" to "Chicago" with no luck.

Since I only had just about 15 minutes, I didn't dig any deeper.

And sorry for the Dutch Windows UI but I think it says it all 😀

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 18 of 20, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This post card also passed the revue in one of necroware's older videos. It only works on PCI. the ISA connector is useless. the traces on the ISA part end up underneath the chip going nowhere 😀
I've got the same card and took the chip off to verify. https://imgur.com/a/crappy-post-code-card-W6VIvud

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 19 of 20, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool! So maybe the ISA leads aren't too short after all, it just IS complete junk :p
No wonder it just cost €5 at my favourite Chinese webshop

Glad to have another one floating around in the shelves that does work as expected

Stuck at 10MHz...