VOGONS


Asus A7V333 repair help

Topic actions

First post, by tony359

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Hi there

I'm trying to revive an Asus A7V333, socket A. It came as "working, was removed from service because unstable in windows and swollen VRM caps - which were not swollen when it was removed from service".

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/asus-a7v333

I thought it'd be a simple one for a change but no.

VRM caps swapped and board is dead, no post codes.
Flashed new bios, still nothing
Flashed Deksor's 80h BIOS and nothing BUT, while I was probing the BIOS pins, at some point I had 01 post code after a reset. I couldn't replicate it reliably but it happened 2-3 times.

At the back of the CPU I checked
- Reset
- Clock in 100Mhz
- Clock Out 100MHz
- Power good
- PRCRDY says the CPU is ready
- CONNECT, I understand it would be the NB saying "hi", no activity.

VCORE was checked at the top, it reads what it's supposed to read with the CPU I was using - which should be a working one.

Then moved to the BIOS which apparently sits on the LPC bus?
- Clocks and voltages are there
- No FRAME
- No data whatsoever, ever. Not even a single pulse.

There is a jumper called ROMSIP, set to SW. I changed to HW, I understand that way the NB would look for some parameters in the CPU or internally instead than the BIOS. When I did that, CONNECT came to life, but only for a few pulses.

I started looking around a bit better and looked adjacent to the CPU where the screwdriver of those HIDEOUS Socket A mounting spring slips and makes holes. Indeed there was one. Two broken traces, one broken 22Ohm resistor (all resistors there are either 0 Ohm or 22 Ohm on Resistor Networks) plus 2 missing caps.

I re-did the traces, replaced the 22 ohm resistor. Still no life.

I could only guess the values of the caps. I removed two, one was 100nF, the other 6pF? I fitted two 100nF where the two were missing, still nothing.

The "talking BIOS" feature (such a gimmick!) says "System failed CPU test". If I remove the CPU it does change to "No CPU installed".

I am a bit at a loss. I don't see any other damage. Anything that anybody could think of?

Thank you!

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@tony359

Reply 1 of 3, by douglar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got one of those board on my workbench right now. They are nice boards. I hope you can fix it.

Let me know if you need me to read any parts or anything.

Reply 2 of 3, by tony359

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

oh that is great! I feel hopeful particularly because I had a 01 a few times.

Would you be able to take a high-res picture of the area between the CPU and the RAM? That is where I have those two missing caps. See attached.

Also a few questions:
- Does the board normally start with the ROMSIP set to HW or SW?
- What does the talking bios say when you remove the BIOS (if you don't mind removing it for a moment, don't worry if you don't want to!)

thank you!

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@tony359