VOGONS


First post, by daanmsvl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I've been a fan and follower of David Murray for 10+ years, but recently the video ouput has become really low and his latest video on his AI generated movie script was something I'm not interested in. He says it's a one off. He made some really great videos: I love the Commodore history series, I really love his technical in-depth explanation of things like CGA, Sprites, or sound chips, etc. But that content hasn't been there for some time now. Anyone else feel that way?

Current inventory: 486SX25, Cyrix 5x86 133 MHz, Pentium 75, Laser/2 286 12 MHz and Pentium 166 MMX. Also a Commodore 64 Ultimate Founders Edition! Want to know more? Check out vintage486 [point] com

Reply 1 of 13, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used to enjoy his vids too but I stopped watching years ago when I learned about his 'open carry' gun thing.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 13, by akimmet

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

David can upload anything he wants provided it complies with YouTubes rules. He isn't beholden to your specific interests.

He is very much an amateur making videos that interests himself. That is absolutely ok.

I certainly wouldn't consider him a hardware expert, I remember the paperclip incident.

Reply 4 of 13, by daanmsvl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
badmojo wrote on Today, 21:04:

I used to enjoy his vids too but I stopped watching years ago when I learned about his 'open carry' gun thing.

That never bothered me to be honest. It's quite common in the (south) of the USA. The dremel/paperclip repair video bother me more, I remember I was just screaming at my screen: Send that thing to Adrian Black if you don't know what to do with it....

Current inventory: 486SX25, Cyrix 5x86 133 MHz, Pentium 75, Laser/2 286 12 MHz and Pentium 166 MMX. Also a Commodore 64 Ultimate Founders Edition! Want to know more? Check out vintage486 [point] com

Reply 5 of 13, by akimmet

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
daanmsvl wrote on Today, 21:14:
badmojo wrote on Today, 21:04:

I used to enjoy his vids too but I stopped watching years ago when I learned about his 'open carry' gun thing.

That never bothered me to be honest. It's quite common in the (south) of the USA.

It has always been common in the Northern US as well, at least in rural areas.

Reply 6 of 13, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Ah, it didn't take long for Operation Paperclip to get mentioned. Speaking of deleted videos, he could really cash-in on the zeitgeist and create that AI he said was within his programming ability.

Joking aside, I feel like I've seen the same thing happen to every channel I've ever seen go professional. It starts as a means to share their beloved hobby and then it turns into a job and you get to watch their passion die on screen over the course of a decade. I enjoyed nearly everything he put out when the going was good.

I have never remotely cared that he's a gun nut. Clearly he isn't some Southern stereotype. I mean, he didn't try to shoot that rare PS/2 open.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 7 of 13, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't care about his new "ai" content. I stopped watching his videos years ago, since he became too "green".

The word Idiot refers to a person with many ideas, especially stupid and harmful ideas.
This world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists.
This isn't voice chat, yet some people overusing online communications talk and hear voices.

Reply 8 of 13, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have stopped watching him around the time he posted way too many videos about his game Petscii Robots. It was just too boring to see just another video about "that game". Hearing that he uses AI now certainly won't make me come back - for the same reason I am largely inactive on vogons now - almost every new project here is just someone being a meat proxy and putting their prompts into Fable/Claude/ChatGPT etc. It's boring slop. There is no one to congratulate or admire for their work.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 9 of 13, by daanmsvl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Big Pink wrote on Today, 21:44:

Joking aside, I feel like I've seen the same thing happen to every channel I've ever seen go professional. It starts as a means to share their beloved hobby and then it turns into a job and you get to watch their passion die on screen over the course of a decade. I enjoyed nearly everything he put out when the going was good.

I guess LGR is the exception to that rule? But yeah you're right - I guess I'm just sad because he produced, in my opinion, some really fantastic videos. I would love to see more of those.

Current inventory: 486SX25, Cyrix 5x86 133 MHz, Pentium 75, Laser/2 286 12 MHz and Pentium 166 MMX. Also a Commodore 64 Ultimate Founders Edition! Want to know more? Check out vintage486 [point] com

Reply 10 of 13, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
daanmsvl wrote on Today, 22:03:

I guess LGR is the exception to that rule?

I imagine LGR has done better financially than most retro YouTubers so he probably has more freedom to do what he wants at this point.

Especially if his recent building of his own warehouse is any indication.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 11 of 13, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
daanmsvl wrote on Today, 22:03:
Big Pink wrote on Today, 21:44:

Joking aside, I feel like I've seen the same thing happen to every channel I've ever seen go professional. It starts as a means to share their beloved hobby and then it turns into a job and you get to watch their passion die on screen over the course of a decade. I enjoyed nearly everything he put out when the going was good.

I guess LGR is the exception to that rule?

Oh, I actually had LGR in mind when I wrote that. Maybe he's not dead inside, but certainly burnout is real. And his combover never fooled me (I'm allowed to say that, we receded in parallel).

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 12 of 13, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on Today, 21:55:

I have stopped watching him around the time he posted way too many videos about his game Petscii Robots. It was just too boring to see just another video about "that game". Hearing that he uses AI now certainly won't make me come back - for the same reason I am largely inactive on vogons now - almost every new project here is just someone being a meat proxy and putting their prompts into Fable/Claude/ChatGPT etc. It's boring slop. There is no one to congratulate or admire for their work.

Yeah, its pretty disappointing matter of things nowadays..

Reply 13 of 13, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
akimmet wrote on Today, 21:08:

David can upload anything he wants provided it complies with YouTubes rules. He isn't beholden to your specific interests.

He is very much an amateur making videos that interests himself. That is absolutely ok.

I certainly wouldn't consider him a hardware expert, I remember the paperclip incident.

Yep, he still has handled things better than classic game room though.

I did not follow him early on during his eBay/priuschat years so I’ve always enjoyed his content paperclip and all, I’m more disappointed that his channel and many others have reduced output in major ways.

I have to imagine his income has gone down a lot from his heyday 5+ years back.

I started watching some of his ancient delisted stuff and it looks like stuff from a previous century.