VOGONS


Reply 20 of 43, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just watched the whole video. He's very clear that this is a one off, and let's hope that's true.

The way I interpret it is that he's just dicking around with this AI thing. The trailer he showed is SHIT. I can tell because my wife actually watches a lot of this AI generated video gunk, which is actually quite good, and when I say "good" I mean it's actually very well done and doesn't look and feel anything as lame, awkward and cheap as what David churned out. It's still clearly AI generated though, it has its own look and feel which doesn't appeal to me, but to each their own I guess. BUT, you can create something that is actually much much better with AI than David demonstrates in his video. However, I did enjoy the section in his video where he goes through some of the challenges of creating some of the scenes. He's clearly just the equivalent of a vibe-coder but he makes a movie instead. I have no doubt that these tools in the hands of Hollywood professional will give very different results, and I am sure we will see that, soon...

The whole thing reminds me of the early 1980s when synthesizer music became popular. Lots a people back then were saying things like; "what's the fun in this? You just press a button and it makes a no. 1 hit for you". Which of course, is far from what the reality is. To make music with a synthesizer you still need to be musician. Over the decades, technology has made it much easier for people to make professional music, but the people who do are still musicians. If you'd give those tools to me, a non-musician, you get crap. This AI thing is very similar (which is just a synthesizer!), and as David so clearly demonstrates, he's a shit movie director, and probably a shit screen/script writer as well. Which is fine, let him tinker, it's his channel and he can do what he wants.

PS: I just want to point out that I have enjoyed many of the videos he has made in the past, the Commodore and CGA stuff etc. So, when I say he's a shit director it's cleary in the context of making movies. I think he's a great presenter and some of his games are cool as well. Overall I think he's a creative person. But yeah, David, let's drop the AI. 😀

Reply 21 of 43, by daanmsvl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
pan069 wrote on Today, 06:20:

I just watched the whole video. He's very clear that this is a one off, and let's hope that's true.

He did say that and he moved his AI Movie Stuff to a separate channel, so not worried about that. I can only hope that with Time Rift Arcade, PETSCII Robots and all the other projects he has, he keeps enough time to produce the quality content I've come to know and love. I think that's my main worry. I don't care about the quantity, I always loved the quality of his work and the dedication, craftsmanship and effort he put into it. The result were some pretty awesome videos. I just he still has time to make those.

And call me nostalgic (that's why we're here, right?), but I've seen somewhat of a turnaround in LGR as well. Since he build his warehouse, it almost seems like he rediscovered his love for retro computing instead of doing another Sims expansion pack...

Current inventory: 486SX25, Cyrix 5x86 133 MHz, Pentium 75, Laser/2 286 12 MHz and Pentium 166 MMX. Also a Commodore 64 Ultimate Founders Edition! Want to know more? Check out https://vintage486.com

Reply 22 of 43, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on Yesterday, 21:04:

I used to enjoy his vids too but I stopped watching years ago when I learned about his 'open carry' gun thing.

I think I first saw the paperclip video and I was cringing at the horrors shown and then I became aware of that video. I stopped watching after that as well, but somehow I stumbled upon his latest video and wow this is just sad.
Sometimes I get the allure of being able to "create" and "express yourself" without having to actually sit your ass down and experiment, make mistakes and learn. But then... I see whatever the hell what he uploaded is and wow, just wow.
I mean, it wouldn't be out of place in a Nathan Fielder sketch or something. Maybe Nathan can rehearse some scenes by creating them in an LLM in the next season of "The Rehearsal" ? Just throwing ideas out of there, the cringe levels would be very high indeed.

Reply 23 of 43, by eM-!3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Some of the comments below the video and here on vogons make me think that few people around here on this forums are really... well to put it mildly I wouldn't want to hang around with you. You are looking for every reason to cancel him. It was a gun, some kind of repair mistake, 8-bit PC that he made, boring series about Texas IT corporations, few games that he developed and now it's AI slop movie.

It's not a problem with David Murray. The problem is with you. Not so long ago there was a topic asking what's going on with another youtuber Philscomputerlab who was a regular here for many years. But he stopped using this forum because of how people acted against him. Almost the same as we see with people criticizing 8-bit guy for every reason possible.

I watch most of his content but not everything. I don't follow his side video channels at all but I will watch his AI movie! Why? Because I'm interested in doing short scenes myself so it will give me a chance to see how far I could go without dedicating all my time to it. Life is an art of compromise. Sometimes it's better to make anything than not make it at all and for most of us hiring pro actors and setting is outside of financial reach.

Also I think that he's the real deal. He's not just a content maker. He really makes things happen and that's why I don't understand why some folks here are dissing his games or 8-bit computer project.

Reply 24 of 43, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on Today, 05:14:

YouTube and chasing the Algorithm is a disease many YouTube creators get infected with, its an insidious disease that creeps in slowly till its too late to stop it. Its like boiling a frog in a pot very slowly so the frog doesn't realise its boiling till its too late.

A sponsor here and another there, perhaps a huge paid collab or two and before they know it they are only making Videos to get that fat cash.

Watched it happen with LTT and a few other creators I liked, once you notice the pattern its impossible to ignore it and honestly it destroyed YouTube for me.

Yes!
I used to watch a miniature wargaming channel. He did a lot of none games workshop videos but he saw how popular any video was that involved games workshop he did and actually started complaining that the videos he want to make were not popular while the ones he didnt want to make were popular.
For a while he did a lot of click bait videos that mentioned gw but didnt feature them and people lost interest in his videos completely.

Reply 25 of 43, by Lutsoad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

People are pissed because he wanted those kind of people to get pissed. The comment about "moms demand action" aimed to make fun of people who see a gun and immediately start panicking like it's 911 Part 2. Imagine being so simple that you stop watching content just because you don't agree with the way the person lives his daily life OUTSIDE his hobby or he has different political values. People are looking to get offended nowadays, they almost crave it.

Reply 26 of 43, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eM-!3 wrote on Today, 13:55:

Some of the comments below the video and here on vogons make me think that few people around here on this forums are really... well to put it mildly I wouldn't want to hang around with you. You are looking for every reason to cancel him. It was a gun, some kind of repair mistake, 8-bit PC that he made, boring series about Texas IT corporations, few games that he developed and now it's AI slop movie.

I can't speak for others. But for myself, I'm not looking to "cancel" anyone. I simply stopped watching his content.

The reason was also not that he is a gun owner or advocate for gun ownership. It was the video where he was part of an open carry gun demonstration in protest of Shannon Watts' advocacy for stricter gun controls which was itself in relation to the Sandy Hook school shooting. The one in which 20 children were murdered.

There was a video of him where he basically admitted he was doing the open carry event to effectively troll people like Shannon Watts. To me that's a demonstration of gross insensitivity around everything related to the Sandy Hook shooting. He also made a follow-up video where he demonstrated he didn't understand why people were upset by this and he didn't see any issue with it.

That is what turned me off watching his content. I don't think he's a good person.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 27 of 43, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lutsoad wrote on Today, 14:56:

Imagine being so simple that you stop watching content just because you don't agree with the way the person lives his daily life OUTSIDE his hobby or he has different political values.

People tend to gravitate towards others with shared values and interests. Whereas if people discover they don't share values or interests, they tend to distance themselves from one another.

This is normal human behavior.

If I discover someone whose content I enjoy watching has done things I think are personally reprehensible, I lose interest in continuing to watch their content.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 28 of 43, by Lutsoad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

No, that's actually herd mentality.

Reply 29 of 43, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lutsoad wrote on Today, 16:13:

No, that's actually herd mentality.

You can call it what you want, but humans are social creatures. We generally bond over things like shared values and interests. And in turn, tend to have conflicts where those values and interests differ.

This isn't a point of debate, it is simply how people behave.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 30 of 43, by daanmsvl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
eM-!3 wrote on Today, 13:55:

It's not a problem with David Murray. The problem is with you. Not so long ago there was a topic asking what's going on with another youtuber Philscomputerlab who was a regular here for many years. But he stopped using this forum because of how people acted against him. Almost the same as we see with people criticizing 8-bit guy for every reason possible.

I mainly see people discussing why they like or dislike his content based on arguments. I don't see a lot of lashing out or cancelling in this thread to be honest. For me, it's being torn between the quality content he produces and the current route he's taking. It's not about the person for me. It's about the content. And I'm wondering if I'm the only one that sees this as a loss instead of a win. And I see that some people who decide not to watch anymore for various reasons.

To make it more clear: I'd love to see more documentaries on vintage PCs (IBM PC for instance, or maybe the Atari ST line), explanation of vintage computer concepts (IBM PC Memory Map and management for instance which is a fun one) and less PETSCII Robots, Commander X16 and, recently, AI generated movies. That's it. At least, for me.

Current inventory: 486SX25, Cyrix 5x86 133 MHz, Pentium 75, Laser/2 286 12 MHz and Pentium 166 MMX. Also a Commodore 64 Ultimate Founders Edition! Want to know more? Check out https://vintage486.com

Reply 31 of 43, by eM-!3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
daanmsvl wrote on Today, 16:28:

I don't see a lot of lashing out or cancelling in this thread to be honest.

My view is that this thread is just a continuation of the same harsh words and the same arguments against him that I read here in another thread few years ago. That's why I mentioned boring Texas films which nobody used yet and BTW I thought they were great and entertaining.

Looking at his channel name it's "The 8-bit Guy". He can make mainly 8-bit content but he doesn't owe to us making it every time. He's a guy, a real person with many different interests so would it be wrong if he started making videos about how to lose weight or about sporting events? From my point of view - NO!

I watch Cathode Ray Dude Youtube channel. It's quite possible that I don't share the same views as him but I won't throw him under the bus when he makes a video that is outside of my own interests. And that's the thing that I see happening here and under AI movie announcement. There are people who are beyond upset about it just like he betrayed them or what?

Last edited by eM-!3 on 2026-10-11, 17:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 32 of 43, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eM-!3 wrote on Today, 17:08:

There are people who are beyond upset about it just like he betrayed them or what?

I don't see anyone acting beyond upset about it.

People have simply expressed different reasons they stopped watching his content, whether behaviors outside of his Youtube channel or changes to his Youtube content itself. Nothing too dramatic about that, really.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 33 of 43, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

please people try and stay on topic , let's not also derail this thread as well 😀

🎵 🎧 ⏳ ⚡ SoundVision PRO,MK1869 , PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website
💾💾💾 Looking for a full version of LIST ENHANCED 2.4y1 by V. Buerg, message me if you have it for sale! 💾💾💾

Reply 34 of 43, by aVd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Hi, @keropi,
But isn't the main topic of this thread to hate David's as a person, his video and his other content for some stupid subjective or personal reasons? 🤣

My two pennies on or off the topic about "why I will not watch David's so called movie"

I just wanted to write, that I don't hate David or his creations. With the time he just became too boring to me and I stopped watching his videos long time ago, just because there are dozen of newer and better youtube channels with retro computer content. Also I don't like artificial "intelligence" content. And this has absolutely no relation to David's firearm owning support (which to me is right) or for example his giving of some paid work to an alphabet+ weirdo (which I personally do not support in any way).

what comes around goes around

Reply 35 of 43, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aVd wrote on Today, 18:37:

Hi, @keropi,
But isn't the main topic of this thread to hate David's personality, video and other content for some stupid subjective or personal reasons? 🤣

it is already a controversial topic so there is no need to make it even more controversial - there are some moderated posts already on the topic that are not visible anymore , hence my previous plead

Last edited by keropi on 2026-10-11, 19:21. Edited 1 time in total.

🎵 🎧 ⏳ ⚡ SoundVision PRO,MK1869 , PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website
💾💾💾 Looking for a full version of LIST ENHANCED 2.4y1 by V. Buerg, message me if you have it for sale! 💾💾💾

Reply 36 of 43, by Lutsoad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Shponglefan wrote on Today, 16:24:

This isn't a point of debate, it is simply how people behave.

Facts, people are dumb for ignoring quality content because they believe in something else. It's like ignoring retro stuff because the person is Russian.

Reply 37 of 43, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lutsoad wrote on Today, 19:21:
Shponglefan wrote on Today, 16:24:

This isn't a point of debate, it is simply how people behave.

Facts, people are dumb for ignoring quality content because they believe in something else. It's like ignoring retro stuff because the person is Russian.

Everyone is entitled to their reasons. That doesn't make someone dumb. Let's keep this civil, please.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 38 of 43, by aVd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
keropi wrote on Today, 19:20:

it is already a controversial topic so there is no need to make it even more controversial - there are some moderated posts already on the topic that are not visible anymore , hence my previous plead

Now seriously. This thread derailed with the first comment about "the gun problem" (form one of "the usual suspects") and I think, it should be closed for good, just like the rest provocative and politically biased useless threads here, which create only tensions between the forum members.

And I'm not telling you what to do, but just look what your Canadian colleague-moderator is doing again. Honestly, I miss @DosFreak as a mod and he with his double standards wasn't cut out for that job at all, but at least he was politically neutral.

what comes around goes around

Reply 39 of 43, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
aVd wrote on Today, 20:39:
keropi wrote on Today, 19:20:

it is already a controversial topic so there is no need to make it even more controversial - there are some moderated posts already on the topic that are not visible anymore , hence my previous plead

Now seriously. This thread derailed with the first comment about "the gun problem" (form one of "the usual suspects") and I think, it should be closed for good, just like the rest provocative and politically biased useless threads here, which create only tensions between the forum members.

And I'm not telling you what to do, but just look what your Canadian colleague-moderator is doing again. Honestly, I miss @DosFreak as a mod and he with his double standards wasn't cut out for that job at all, but at least he was politically neutral.

I agree 100% .