VOGONS

Writable Z Drive

Topic actions

First post, by Farnsworth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anybody know what to change to the source code of DOSBox to make the Z drive writable? Or how to include other files on the Z drive ?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 20, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Writable: not possible
Change to a different letter so that you can mount something on it: possible. patch is in patches section
Add a file in the sourcecode: VFILE_Register

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 20, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Farnsworth wrote:

Or how to include other files on the Z drive ?

Actually - it would be kinda neat if there was a setting in the config file like this:

[dosbox]
zextras="C:\My extra DOSBox tools"

for storing all the little TSR's that ripsaw has created, for a BAT-file to temporarily set core=dynamic + cycles=max (when running installers), etc.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 20, by Farnsworth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nope not for the game, haven't heard of the game...

It's because I'd like to include some stuff in the Z drive and because I'm experimenting a little bit.

For example, the autoexec.bat file on the Z drive changes to the stuff in the dosbox.conf file when you open up DOSBox (you'll probably know all that) but if you could change the autexec.bat file before you run DOSBox, you won't need the .conf file unless you'd like to change settings like the resolution etc.

But not only for things like that, if you could include extra files on the Z drive, it would be just easier...

Reply 6 of 20, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Farnsworth wrote:

For example, the autoexec.bat file on the Z drive changes to the stuff in the dosbox.conf file when you open up DOSBox (you'll probably know all that) but if you could change the autexec.bat file before you run DOSBox

You know you can change it (or at least add some stuff) just by editing the AUTOEXEC section in the conf file?

Klimawandel.

Reply 7 of 20, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Or leave it empty in the main dosbox.conf and add an extra conf when you start DOSBox:

dosbox.exe -conf "dosbox.conf" -conf "extra.conf"

The README file is almost worth a Nobel prize in litterature...

Reply 10 of 20, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

But additional "stuff" that you want to include in the Z: drive could easily be put in another mounted drive or folder and added to the PATH enviroment variable. Should give the same result.

Reply 11 of 20, by Farnsworth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But IF you don't want to use the .conf file and are to lazy to type "mount C:\ etc etc" you could just store everything on the Z drive OR adjust the autexec.bat file on the Z drive so you won't need another .conf file anymore.

And this maybe in the readme, but if you want to change something with the commands (I bet you can do it without writing the Z file), you could easily do that if it's writable and change some stuff in those files. Or include files on the Z drive like a driver or something.

But to get back to the question, it's impossible? or can I remap the Z to something else and write on that?

Reply 12 of 20, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Even if you use the patch to remap Z:, all of the DOSBox stuff that's on it will move to the other drive letter, and that drive still won't be writable.

It's very easy. In the autoexec section of the conf file, do something like:

MOUNT X C:\dbextras
SET PATH=%PATH%;X:\

Reply 13 of 20, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

No, you can not.
No, no you need not.

Put this in the autoexec-section:

mount X "\some\folder\somewhere"
X:AUTO.BAT

Then edit that AUTO.BAT in \some\folder\somewhere whenever you feel lazy.

Reply 14 of 20, by Farnsworth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That will mount a drive X wich doesn't work with the DOSBox command (nice to have)
but I actualy only wanted to write the Z drive 😁
or if I could hide it it would be even beter and with hiding I don't mean
Z:\>X:\
X:\>

Thanks

Reply 16 of 20, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

No.

Reply 18 of 20, by MiniMax