VOGONS

Reply 20 of 31, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:
Malik wrote:

(EDIT:Hands together facing the heaven praying for a new revision motherboard at the same time too!! 🤑)

I'm really hoping you got a rev 4 board too! As well as that other rev 4 board I mentioned in another very recent post (please see above), there's also this German seller: "c-b-s-d" who seems to have several of these boards going (although the rev number isn't mentioned.) He takes paypal, but worldwide shipping isn't mentioned. It's worth asking though! 😀

Thanks. I'll now raise my secret hi-tech radar from my head to scan them! 😁

Reply 21 of 31, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Still awaiting for the mobo. Suppose to arrive yesterday. Awaiting today. I've already downloaded all the possible BIOS updates for all revisions of the board from v2.0 to 4.0. Also downloaded and printed out the pdf manual. Now all that remains is the revision of the motherboard. If it's a rev 4, it'll be the season's greetings' gala extravaganza for me! 😁 Even if it's rev 2.0, I wouldn't mind since I'll be using my classic P133 or the P166 only on it. 😎

Reply 24 of 31, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As I said, good things don't come easy. Just received the motherboard today, and thank God, it's v4.0! 😁
That and maybe because they took time to package it : Excellent packaging! 😀

Reply 25 of 31, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

As I said, good things don't come easy. Just received the motherboard today, and thank God, it's v4.0! 😁
That and maybe because they took time to package it : Excellent packaging! 😀

Phew! That's a relief! 😁

Reply 26 of 31, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

blackmoreit!!

Sigh. I like what they sell (i've even bought a thing or two from them), but ...but ... just look at the site!!

Anyone having communication problems with them recently? Bought a few bits 'n' pieces from them on the 24th Dec - not heard a peep out of them since. Sent 6 messages. 0 replies. 😒

Edit: Just heard from them. 😀 Took 'em 11 days though. Still, I guess it's the holiday season. 😁

Reply 27 of 31, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

UPDATE:

The board came with bios v3.4. Everything was fine. The 40GB and 80GB hard drives were detected on the fly without problems.

Out of curiosity, I just flashed the bios to the latest available for this board, which is v3.7, which I got from msi's website. (Enter 5169 in the search box in the downloads section.)

The flash program is one of the best looking I've seen.

The Bios upgrade went well.

Then the system refused to recognize my hard drives. I was in a state of panic for a while, but entering the 16,383/16/63 magic numbers in the User setting for the Hard Drives, brought back my drives to life!

One of the main differences I saw during post, (other than the version number and date, of course), is the RAM counter. The v3.4 just posted the max value without being "counted". After flashing, the RAM numbers were "counted" till max as usual.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 28 of 31, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that if "Quick post" (in the BIOS) is enabled, then it won't count the RAM.

Also, I think that after you flash the BIOS, it's worth loading in its default settings inside the BIOS set up area. I go one step further, and clear the CMOS (using the jumper method, if one exists), and then load in these BIOS default settings. After having done those 2 quick operations, I then enter my own settings in to the BIOS, one of which is auto-detecting the HDDs.

Reply 29 of 31, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep, I always prefer to clear the cmos via shorting the jumpers first, then load the optimal settings, and then I make the necessary adjustments. And yes, the Quick Boot is enabled. Maybe something was not right in the previous 3.4 bios.

And if I remember correctly, disabling quick boot will cause the system to "count" the ram twice. But I maybe wrong.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 30 of 31, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:
blackmoreit!! […]
Show full quote

blackmoreit!!

Sigh. I like what they sell (i've even bought a thing or two from them), but ...but ... just look at the site!!

Just ONE,SINGLE,UN,UNO,I,1. line of what they sell, but HUNNDREDS of lines of about their policies and bla,bla,bla! Puts me off whenever I reach their site while following an item.

Otherwise, they're good to deal with.Seriously.

They are still good to deal with, but has anyone noticed that recently this seller has increased their prices. What used to be about £10 for some piece of retro junk, now costs 2 or 3 times that.

Edit, hehe I just noticed something. In my original post, I wondered whether to get a mobo from blackmoreit. At that time, this mobo cost £7.99. Now, it's £24.99.

Reply 31 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I remember seeing this sale before. He's been trying to sell these boards since at least April 2010 and by the looks of it, isn't particularly successful.
It's overpriced. Heck, it's not even NOS!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!