VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by yanker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I have problems getting the game Dungeon Keeper Gold to run.
I have Windows vista 32 Bit,
3 GB Ram
AMD athalon Duel core processor 5000+
8800 GT 512MB video card

---

When I unextract the game files (From the Disc that I bought ages ago), everything goes fine.

I go through the process, and finally I get to KEEPER95.exe. I double click it, it goes to the introduction screen, but then the screen blacks out and a little square at the top left of my screen pops up. It terminates. No error messages, it just terminates.

I tried mounting it through DOSBox, and it didn't work. It said it is not a DOS program.

While I'm talking about DOS programs, I would like to say that I also downloaded the EXACT same file from a torrent on thepiratebay, and I received the EXACT same files as on my disk.

I've heard that there was a DOS version of dungeon keeper gold that I can try emulating on DOSBox? But if not, lets continue..
-
I've tried running the program as administrator, as all the options (Win 95, 98, etc) 256 colors and everything in the "Properties" menu.
-
I verified that the disk wasn't faulty by downloading the exact copy off a torrent
-
I tried using the Direct3D patch that the game disc came with. Again, no luck there.
-
I read numerous posts online on people not being able to fix this. I did, however, find one post here on V.O.G.O.N.S about a guy talking about a similar problem as I. But its all very confusing and I didn't understand. Just ignore this fact from now.

Where should I start? This game is probably one of my favorites, taking into mind how long ago it was made (Yes, better then crysis)

Oh, and I would like to mention it is runs on DirectX version 5.2, if that means anything.

Thanks A LOT for any replies, as I am completely stumped and looking for any bit of help in this matter!

~Yanker

Reply 1 of 16, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yanker wrote:

(Yes, better then crysis)

There are a hell of a lot of games that are better than Crysis. (I know this post wasn't helpful; I just felt like saying that. =P)

wwsig2-button1.pngwwsig2-center.pngwwsig2-button2.png

Reply 2 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Either install the Windows XP drivers for your video card in Vista or run the game in Vmware 6.5 with Windows XP as a guest OS.

In both situations you'll also need to run the game in Windows 95 compatibility mode.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 16, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try the D3D patch. It looks much better than the software version, and worked OK for me under XP. Should work with the "Gold" version of DK, too. DK is a DOS and Win95 game, there should be a DOS installer on the original CD.

Reply 4 of 16, by yanker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys thanks a lot for your help so far =)

I will try all these solutions starting from top down. Thanks, I will reply if they worked or not.

Can you tell me how to get the windows xp drivers for my graphics card?

Reply 6 of 16, by yanker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is what I get when it checks for updates:

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 180.48 Your PC currently has the latest driver installed for your GPU. No driver update is necessary at this time.

Alright.. I really dont know what to do. Among these lines, I just downloaded Dungeon Keeper II. But this game is also very similar, and even though its not the same it similar enough.

But the game keeps crashing on me. I tried all the compatibility modes, I have patch version 1.7.

Thanks for your help so far I'm glad experts are doing this. Any suggestions on what to do to make it stop crashing?

Reply 7 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I already told you what to do.

You'll either have to install the Windows XP video drivers (Vista drivers will not work) or install the game in a VM.

No driver checking program is going to suggest installing Windows XP video drivers. They will just check for the lastest Vista video drivers which will not do you any good for DK 1.

As for DK2 you'll need to turn off hardware acceleration in the in-game menu which should solve MOST graphics/crashing issues in-game. (of course you won't be using D3D anymore....)

Last edited by DosFreak on 2008-12-30, 18:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 16, by yanker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I will try Vm 6.5.

and my graphics card will not allow to turn off hardware acceleration from the Display menu. And the only reason I say that, is because each time I try to turn it off from the in-game menu, even after I restart the game it doesn't take effect. So I can't turn it off.. Any other suggestion?
EDIT: Ok, restarted my system and it took effect. But the game still crashes.

Reply 9 of 16, by yanker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
I already told you what to do. […]
Show full quote

I already told you what to do.

You'll either have to install the Windows XP video drivers (Vista drivers will not work) or install the game in a VM.

No driver checking program is going to suggest installing Windows XP video drivers. They will just check for the lastest Vista video drivers which will not do you any good for DK 1.

As for DK2 you'll need to turn off hardware acceleration in the in-game menu which should solve MOST graphics/crashing issues in-game. (of course you won't be using D3D anymore....)

---

SIGH***.

After a LOOONG day of searching, I finally got windows 98, and VMware 6.5...

I got the virtual machine running. I tried putting the ISO in for it, and start windows 98, but it gave me a boot error.

Then I used Daemon tools to mount it to a drive. Did the same, and on the VM boot up, it for some reason could not detect the disc.

Does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about, or is it a lost cause? All over a guy wanting to play a good old game he misses.

I'm going to try burning it to a CD next, then using it as a real, not virtual drive to try and boot up and Install WINDOWS 98 on the VM.
If this doesn't work, I don't know what else will.

goat dude you are an expert, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Please, I've spent already 50+ hours trying to figure this out, I'm at the end of my tethers. Do you know anything about the boot error? Do you know what I'm talking about? PLEEEEASE!

Thanks.

Reply 10 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Almost all Windows 9x CD's are not bootable. You have to either make it bootable or just use a bootable floppy disk.

Also, Vmware doesn't support D3D with Windows 9x guests. Only with Windows XP and Vista guests. (2000 guests can use D3D but you'll get BSOD's in the guest). So the best your going to get with a 9x guest is to use Dungeon Keeper 1 in software mode. (Which works fine in Vista btw).

If you'd actually read what people tell you to do then you wouldn't waste 50+ hours....

Reply 12 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Supposedly there is a bug in the DOS version. Can't remember what it was. Something to do with the AI?

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t61067.html

Reply 13 of 16, by yanker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Almost all Windows 9x CD's are not bootable. You have to either make it bootable or just use a bootable floppy disk.

Also, Vmware doesn't support D3D with Windows 9x guests. Only with Windows XP and Vista guests. (2000 guests can use D3D but you'll get BSOD's in the guest). So the best your going to get with a 9x guest is to use Dungeon Keeper 1 in software mode. (Which works fine in Vista btw).

If you'd actually read what people tell you to do then you wouldn't waste 50+ hours....

Alright sorry if I offended you. Just that when you said windows I assumed it could be any version. So you say windows XP would run it? and I would do that next. Should I run it from an ISO, or from a disc?

I don't have any floppies laying around.. And I doubt that could hold all of windows XP if I did. So its either .ISO, Virtual Drive, or copy the internals of the ISO to a CD-R and run it as a physical drive.

What do you recommend?

Reply 14 of 16, by yanker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Supposedly there is a bug in the DOS version. Can't remember what it was. Something to do with the AI?

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t61067.html

Oh, and I couldn't find the DOS version anywhere on the internet.. Do you know of one?

Thanks

Reply 16 of 16, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ADDiCT wrote:

Try the D3D patch. It looks much better than the software version, and worked OK for me under XP. Should work with the "Gold" version of DK, too. DK is a DOS and Win95 game, there should be a DOS installer on the original CD.

It is a shame the Direct3D patch only works correctly in Isometric view 🙁 various graphical glitches exist in the other view, which is the one I like 🙁

The DOS version has broken Dungeon Keeper AI, even with the DKPatch applied. (I think that only fixes the savegame issue in the DOS version, but applies both the AI and save game fix to the Windows version)

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website