VOGONS

First post, by Kyl3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm baffled...

Micr$oft has done something with dos support on their new os. It has mpu-401 support out of the box, in msdos boxes. Kinda dope. I've been playing transport tycoon deluxe with my mt-32 without silly timing issues (I think it's the only game which runs right). I know, I can't really believe it myself. TTD is a game which "could" not be run on NT os-es. Well, it does now.

Still mpu support is kinda dicy, midi timing got even worse in most games, excl. buffer overflows seem allways available. But my dynamix games work (Willy Beamish with mt-32, never got that game running with vdm-sound. In NT that is..)

This will make the supported games database even more complicated I guess.. 🙁

I wonder if there is a windows 2003 features list around.. could not find anything usefull on the microsoft site.

Reply 2 of 15, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does VDMSound still work under Win2.003k? Or have they utterly changed everything? 😁
V.

Kyl3 wrote:

I'm baffled...
Micr$oft has done something with dos support on their new os

Reply 3 of 15, by Kyl3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

VDMsound works like a charm here.. it acts the way it does in XP (quits willy beamish.. $%$##$) and fixes midi timing with most games..

(no worries though, willy does just fine in dosbox)

I think they fixed some bugs, and added some legecy emulation.. it's my guess. Still haven't found any "features list".

Reply 4 of 15, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm, but I was curious, are there games that now work with Win2.003k but (still) do not work with VDMSound, or are there games taht now work with VDSMound but did not work under XP? Just trying to get a feeling of the kind of changes they made. I am particularly "afraid" of improvements that may have to be "activated" via undocumented calls (remember Duke3D and Doom and so on that worked under XP's native emulation but not with pre-Update 1 VDMSound? 😀 )

Cheers,
V.

Kyl3 wrote:

VDMsound works like a charm here.. it acts the way it does in XP (quits willy beamish.. $%$##$) and fixes midi timing with most games...

Reply 5 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vladr wrote:

Hmmm, but I was curious, are there games that now work with Win2.003k but (still) do not work with VDMSound, or are there games taht now work with VDSMound but did not work under XP? Just trying to get a feeling of the kind of changes they made. I am particularly "afraid" of improvements that may have to be "activated" via undocumented calls (remember Duke3D and Doom and so on that worked under XP's native emulation but not with pre-Update 1 VDMSound? 😀 )

Cheers,
V.

From my *minimal testing* SFX doesn't work right. With either 2k3's emulated sound or VDMSound's. Which doesn't bode well for VDMSound support in 2K3......

This can be seen by testing SFX in any Build engine game's setup.exe. No sound at all except some pops.

Also playing Wolf3d the door's do not make any sounds and the sound sounds muted compared to dosbox.

MIDI seems to work fine...but as I stated above I've only tested those 2 games.

Oh, NOLFB is still needed too. 😀

I REALLY don't feel like going through 2K3's NTVDM since I'm switching over to Dosbox in my NT Game Compatibility list......but I'll probably get around to it someday. Somebody slap me.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 15, by Kyl3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried dune 2 / transport tycoon / dott / x-wing and willy beamish.. (The only games that I have here at the moment.. sorry,)

Dune 2 doesn't seem to play digitized effects.. odd, this maybe my bad.. never played that game with sfx. (It loads gunsounds in the mt-32.. not as cool as digitized, but I never cared)

Transport tycoon sfx works here.. dott works the very same. Willy kicks me out (does it also in XP)..

Though Adlib emu seems a bit off in transport tycoon and dune.. it works, but not right... like it plays to slow and tries to catch up.

Joystick emulation works also.

I'm using VDMsound 2.04 update 2. I'll try and find a build game on the net to test. I'm sure I hear the VDMsound and not the windows emulation.

Please note that I haven't found a way to create EMS memory. I could not load digitized effects in X-wing (needs ems). Maybe that's also the problem with dune.

Reply 7 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The EMS problem is more and more frequent of late as mobo manufacturers eat up more and more memory ranges. You've likely experienced that. Either search the forums for "EMS" or wait till I dig up the link and post it. So far the only fix is to disable the hardware that is eating up that memory.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 15, by Kyl3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks!!

There was this scsi controller that ate up to many UMB's. Now i've got EMS again.

Dune SFX work now.. tedious.. I think there is just one channel for SFX in dune2, and when it's in use it will use the FM synth for sfx. (Game related)

X-wing now has SFX too..

I'm still wondering why SFX isn't working right on other systems. Quality of SFX is the same in dosbox.. (FM synthesis isn't!!, I took notion of the synthesis listbox)

Reply 10 of 15, by zpeidar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kyl3 wrote:

I'm baffled...

Micr$oft has done something with dos support on their new os. It has mpu-401 support out of the box, in msdos boxes. Kinda dope. I've been playing transport tycoon deluxe with my mt-32 without silly timing issues (I think it's the only game which runs right). I know, I can't really believe it myself. TTD is a game which "could" not be run on NT os-es. Well, it does now.

[/B]
TTDX (both in Dos And Windows version) works under XP/2K/NT as long as you apply TTPATCH (or whatever its called, it fixes the NT problem and allows for more stations and busses and stuff (which was limited to 255 originally)

Originally posted by Kyl3
I wonder if there is a windows 2003 features list around.. could not find anything usefull on the microsoft site.

Is Win 2k3 released officially yet?

"640 kb ought to be enough for anybody"

Reply 13 of 15, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vladr wrote:

Just trying to get a feeling of the kind of changes they made.

Maybe you could write a program that could help you figure that out on people's computers that have Win2K3. Of course, it would be easier to install it yourself...

Reply 14 of 15, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Schadenfreude wrote:

Of course, it would be easier to install it yourself...

Ahem, I don't intend to pay a cent to Bill for that, and I'm on dialup so can't download it from P2P either.

V.

Reply 15 of 15, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Kyl3 Micr$oft has done something with dos support on their new os. It has mpu-401 support out of the box, in msdos boxes.

Actually, I've been able to do that in XP, it's just so poorly done I almost never bother with it. Much like their SB support, many titles can't even detect the emulation.

Originally posted by vladr Ahem, I don't intend to pay a cent to Bill for that, and I'm on dialup so can't download it from P2P either.

You could sign up and have it shipped to you. Last-class shipping and the CD are (or were) free...