VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by saturdaynight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Everyone. I don't use this site very often for the shear fact that most of the time DOSBox just simply work! But here is my dilema:

I want to run Windows 3.11 and I've seen the tutorial on setting it up. I'm using DOSBox v0.65 as v0.72 crashes when I try to launch it.

When launching Windows 3.11 after initial installation and after the Windows 3.11 logo loads, I get an error that reads:

Error: unsuported expanded-memory driver. Remove driver from config.sys.

Well, diging back to my DOS experience I editing the config.sys, specifically putting in the line:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS

The entire config.sys looks as follows with only the above line added to the file.

FILES=30
BUFFERS=30
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV.EXE /DOUBLE_BUFFER
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS
STACKS=9,256

The config.sys and Autoexec.bat were created in the root of my DOSBox directory when Windows 3.11 was installed.

In the win311 tutorial I see where, at least in the PC version of DOSBox, there is a file named "dosbox.conf." Doing a search for this file comes up blank.

So with that I would think I would want to edit the dosbox.conf file but it doesn't exist on the Mac apparently.

I also see where they talk specifically about this issue in the tutorial and that it's best to run DOSBox v0.72 but as I stated above, this version crashes upon launching. I've downloaded the file again and again and still it crashes even after trashing the preference file.

Is there a way to turn off EMS in DOSBox for Mac OS X?

Reply 1 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you saying that you install DOSBox 0.72 and DOSBOX itself immediately crashes on execution?
Where did you download this copy of DOSBox?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Re: Help installing DOSbox 0.70 on Mac OS X

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 14, by saturdaynight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MiniMax thanks for the link! It pointed me to something I hadn't even thought of!

Apparently on the Mac the config file for DOSBox is the DOSBox Preferences. So I grabbed another copy of v.65 from Sourcforge. No DOSBox Preferences file exists in that download. So on a whim I decided to use the v.72 DOSBox Preferences file and..."It's working!!!"

DOSBox v0.72 still doesn't work for me but now that I've got Win311 working on v0.65 I'm ok with that.

Last edited by saturdaynight on 2009-02-16, 21:24. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 5 of 14, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
saturdaynight wrote:

I want to run Windows 3.11 and I've seen the tutorial on setting it up. I'm using DOSBox v0.65 as v0.72 crashes when I try to launch it.

Are you probably trying to run the official 0.72 on a G3 Mac? It requires a G4 Mac or newer,
but there is an 'unofficial' build of 0.72 (the current version yet) at
www.spam-filter.de/dosbox/dosbox_0.72_for_g3
(created by the official DOSBox Mac porter),
please try that version first.

Klimawandel.

Reply 6 of 14, by saturdaynight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

IIGS_User, yes, I am runnning a G3 iBook SE. Yes it's not the fastes Mac out there by far but it does work well enough for what I need and now I understand why v0.72 didn't work. I will try your link and see if that works for me. Thanks! 😀

Reply 9 of 14, by saturdaynight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I'm happy with what I've got now that .65 is running Win311. It's just for small stuff anyway. For most day to day things my iBook works just fine! 😉

Reply 12 of 14, by saturdaynight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That was the first thing I tried as well as changing the CPU cycles. the PPC G3e 466Mhz processor is only so quick. I've given up on using Win 3.11 as it was only for play anyway and I've got Virtual PC and it runs pretty well. And I just don't have the money to go buy a new computer right now.

Reply 13 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

try 0.71 instead of 0.72
I recall that 0.72 might have less optimilasations enabled for ppc because of some problem with the compiler at the time or so.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 14 of 14, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

try 0.71 instead of 0.72

... which you can get here, a fixed version:
http://www.spam-filter.de/dosbox/dosbox_0.71_with_fixed_icon

Klimawandel.