VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by papalou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm told I can read a particular text directory on the
FAST ATTACK sub sim CD via the DOS EDIT feature. How would I go about that?

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - A. C. Clarke

Reply 1 of 15, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can't normally edit files on a CD. What you can do is copy it to your hard drive and edit it there. DOS' EDIT program was, simply put, the DOS version of what Windows now has in Notepad. Basically, what you're quoting is "open the file in your favourite text editor".

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 4 of 15, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you are talking about the files in the "TEXT" directory, just open them in Notepad. To make it easy on yourself, create a shortcut to Notepad on your desktop and drop each file on the shortcut to read that file.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 15, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Or if you prefer to relive the "good (?) old days" you can download the freedos msdoseditor-clone and use that one inside dosbox just like you did in the ms-dos era.

I'll upload it for you convenience. Have fun.

Attachments

• Filename
    edit.exe
    File size
    58.29 KiB
    Downloads
    138 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Visit the end of the internet: www.groskreutz.de

Reply 6 of 15, by papalou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The file in question is the MISSION folder on the CD.

Though I see and understand the confusion, I have no interest in editing anything. Just wanted to read it, to be able to anticipate upcoming battles so I can budget my use of ammo, etc., got me?

collector, particularly appreciate that little 'cutey', dropping files on the Notepad shortcut (wonder how it works in other contexts). Brilliant.

And be sure, kruwi's upload is right in keeping with Vogons mission: celebrating the best of the old. Can't wait to try it. Well done.

Thanks all.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - A. C. Clarke

Reply 9 of 15, by papalou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Don't wanna keep beatin' this guys, but here's what I did re bugs post.

1. Loaded Dosbx.
2. Mounted F: (drive where FA CD resides)
3. typed: 'type mission' (folder on CD)
4. Got: File mission not found

When I dir, there it is, Mission folder...either type is not supported, or I missed a step...

Reply 11 of 15, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Type" displays the (textual) content of a file. You cannot "type" a folder as it has no meaningful textual content.

It may be confusing for you to deal with the command line, but it's not really any different from using, say, Microsoft Word. Instead of trying to open a document in Word, you're trying to open a folder. You can't, you can only open the documents inside that folder.

Reply 12 of 15, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
papalou wrote:
2. Mounted F: (drive where FA CD resides) 3. typed: 'type mission' (folder on CD) 4. Got: File mission not found When I dir, the […]
Show full quote

2. Mounted F: (drive where FA CD resides)
3. typed: 'type mission' (folder on CD)
4. Got: File mission not found
When I dir, there it is, Mission folder...either type is not supported, or I missed a step...

probably after mount d f:\ -t cdrom etc. you need:

cd mission
dir

so now you're in mission folder and able to type whatever *.txt files are within
you can't "type" a folder 😵

EDIT:
oops Kippesoep you beat me to it 😉

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)

Reply 13 of 15, by papalou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Look, guys, let me quote the guy who offered this file up as a cheat of sorts, guy named Littlefish:

Another useful feature is found on the CD in the text directory. Here you will find all of the mission orders that can be read with the DOS EDIT function. This feature, combined with the resupply schedule, makes it possible to perform some advance planning on how to use your weapons.

From this reading, and what I've posted so far, you'd think the file is a txt file, right? Not so. The extension is TBI.

Tell me. Is that why-- following gidierra's excellent directions--I get a file which reads like ancient hieroglyphics?

Reply 14 of 15, by papalou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hold up! Hold up!

Re-reading my post, I'm looking in the wrong folder on the CD. Littlefish pointedly says TEXT DIRECTORY. I was looking in the MISSION DIRECTORY. The TEXT DIRCTORY'S files are definitely txt files. (Doh!)

Get back to ya...

Reply 15 of 15, by papalou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My apologies for multi-posting.
Here's the story.
Finally able to read the missions in the text directory...
Problem solved. But here's the rub: I could've read the files simply by right-click open with... [course, didn't know that then].

But this if far from a wasted thread.
1. I learned: that 'type' displays the content of file (you can't type a folder)
2. Using the command line is much like working with Word.
3. Dropping text files on a shortcut of notepad on desktop.
4. And a bunch of other useful DOS stuff.

Thanks all. I appreciate your time and patience..