VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by masterchief007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried my hardest to get glidos on my old computer, but with no success. I successfully install the program, but when I try to run it, it says Im missing the required file snmpapi.dll cannot be found. I I saw somthing about a windows 95 install, but the link is down. any help?

Reply 2 of 11, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Supposedly the difficulty with Windows 95 is getting the installer
to run. Did that work okay for you then, without any problems?

I think this snmpapi.dll is part of Internet Explorer. Do you have Internet Explorer?

Reply 3 of 11, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I thought SNMPAPI.DLL was not present on the system unless you had the latest WinSock2 package from M$ installed.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/

Winsock 2.2 or later includes it.

Use QFECheck to determine what patches are installed.

It's a pity that WindowsUpdate no longer supports Windows 95.

It's also a pity that CNet Catchup (http://catchup.cnet.com) no longer exists.

Reply 5 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by masterchief007 [BI successfully install the program, but when I try to run it, it says Im missing the required file snmpapi.dll cannot be found.

Is this Windows 95 A or B?

To check, go to the START button:
Start -->Settings -->Control Panel
Then click on the System Icon. It should report your version as:
or
4.00.950A
or
4.00.950B
or
4.00.950C

If it says 4.00.950 or 4.00.950A, you will have trouble running most "modern" software for Win9x.

Also check on the version of your Internet Explorer browser. Start up the browser, select the Help menu, click on "About".

You need to be running at least v5.0, preferably v5.5.

Reply 6 of 11, by masterchief007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why would the internet explorer matter for glidos? I dont even use it on the computer that works for glidos. I use SBC dsl browser. Im gonna try dowloading the upgrade n a while though.

Reply 10 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by masterchief007 Why would the internet explorer matter for glidos? I dont even use it on the computer that works for glidos.

Like Carrera said, after Windows95, the Internet Explorer became part of the OS.

There are a number of programs that won't install properly into Windows 95 unless you update the Internet Explorer first.

oh, I version B and internet explorer 5.5

Then basically, you're up-to-date except for individual patches.

that was exactly what I needed.I got it to work now

For future reference, you can also try http://www.dll-files.com/ . They let you download individual DLL files without installing an unneeded software package (having said that, in most cases you should go ahead and install the software).

Reply 11 of 11, by batracio

User metadata

About Glidos installation on Windows 95:

Several months ago I was still using Windows 95 OSR2 on my main computer, and I suffered installation problems with previous versions of Glidos (1.14, 1.16 and so on). The installer showed an error message about some missing API in Shell32.dll; This library seems to be loaded just by Explorer.exe, so I removed Windows 95's shell32.dll and placed Win98's version in /System folder (from MS-DOS prompt). Changing "Shell" entry in System.ini from "Shell=Explorer.exe" to "Shell=Progman.exe" (a la Windows 3.1) let me to load Windows 95, run Winfile.exe and execute Glidos installer with success. After installation, all changes must be undone (if you want to recover Win9x usual interface).

Well, It may not be the easiest way to make Glidos compatible with Windows 95, but it's easier than updating the whole operating system.