VOGONS

Common searches

voodoo 2

Topic actions

First post, by stuntpup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

just wondered if anyone has tried using a voodoo 2 along with a modern graphics card in a modern pc setup , just to handle any glide games.. or is this more problematic than using a glide wrapper !!

Reply 1 of 19, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's what I do under WinXP, and it seems to work. You'll need to load some modified drviers for the Voodoo2, however.

Go to:
http://www.falconfly.de/voodoo2.htm

and scroll to the bottom of the screen for the WinXP drivers. I've only used the basic drivers for WinXP, but some of the other drivers look interesting.

At some point, however, I may run out of pci slots, in which case it's goodbye Voodoo2, hello wrappers.

Reply 5 of 19, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Carrera Which is why I have a stock pile of Voodoo1s and 2s as backups.

Well, hopefully we'll have reached 100% 3dfx emulation by the time you reach the bottom of your stock pile.

Reply 6 of 19, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Huh?
I used to beta test for 3Dfx so I got them... well cheap. Nothing newer than a VodooTV and a 3500 though. Not sure what "100% 3Dfx Emulation" is supposed to mean... anyway...
Running a Voodoo 1 on a 100 MHZ Front Side Bus system CAN be dangerous. Add plenty of cooling and don't overclock much.
Since there are about 50 different kinds out there it's hard to tell.
Don't get me wrong. GliDOS is a heck of a lot easier because it supports more "modern" OSes. I am still at Win98SE but I am sure eventually I will have to go to Win2K because I like nice big partitions. ...

Reply 7 of 19, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unless your FSB:PCI divider is set to 1/1 or 1/2, running at 100 MHz should not be a problem. In systems designed for 100 MHz FSB, the divider is 1:3, so the 32-bit PCI bus runs at 33 Mhz, like it should.

Reply 10 of 19, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Carrera Huh?

Err...Ditto.

I used to beta test for 3Dfx so I got them... well cheap. Nothing newer than a VoodooTV and a 3500 though.

Yes, but sooner or later, like all hardware, they will eventually die. Hopefully, 3dfx/Glide emulation at that point will be near perfect so none of the 3dfx software gets "lost".

Not sure what "100% 3Dfx Emulation" is supposed to mean... anyway...

Right now, all we have is decent Windows Glide emulation and some DOS Glide emulation. There are still plenty of titles that won't run properly (except in software-only mode) without a Voodoo card present. At 100% percent, every facet of hardware and software would be emulated, allowing all titles to run properly without a Voodoo card.

Originally posted by Snover Nicht Sez: 100% 3Dfx emulation Nicht Meanz: 100% Glide emulation […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by Snover Nicht Sez:
100% 3Dfx emulation
Nicht Meanz:
100% Glide emulation

Nah. I want all of it emulated, hardware included. That way, even titles like "Fatal Racing/Whiplash" will work and eventually such code would end up in DosBox. Having said all that, it may be 2029 by then...and we'll be busy fighting the last battle with the Terminators at the time...

Reply 13 of 19, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Nah. I want all of it emulated, hardware included. That way, even titles like "Fatal Racing/Whiplash" will work and eventually such code would end up in DosBox. Having said all that, it may be 2029 by then...and we'll be busy fighting the last battle with the Terminators at the time...

Keep an eye on the MAME, the work coming from Mr. Aaron Giles.
http://www.mame.net
http://www.aarongiles.com

Specifically, see here:
http://www.aarongiles.com/oldcontent.html
More specifically, 2/17/2003, 2/19/2003, 2/25/2003, 3/2/2003, 3/8/2003

More info on Seattle hardware:
http://www.system16.com/atari/hrdw_seattle.html
http://www.system16.com/midway/hrdw_seattle.html

This means that Real Soon Now (when the driver is ready), Voodoo Graphics emulation will be in MAME. From there, any programmer who wants to use the code can ask Aaron as it is unlikely it will be GPL - unless MAME changes its license soon.

Someone would still likely need Voodoo Graphics firmware, etc. It sounds as if this is a bit of a performance hog, but it is hard to tell - emulating a MIPS chip is a hog too! 😁

If Aaron's previous work is any example, there will likely be a Voodoo Graphics disassembler included with the emulation (required for most MAME's emulated CPU's, DEBUG mode kthnx) but hard to say at this point.

But surely an easier solution to the statically compiled games can be found. Is Glidos reading this?

Reply 14 of 19, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Schadenfreude This means that Real Soon Now (when the driver is ready), Voodoo Graphics emulation will be in MAME. From there, any programmer who wants to use the code can ask Aaron as it is unlikely it will be GPL - unless MAME changes its license soon.

Good news, indeed.

Someone would still likely need Voodoo Graphics firmware, etc. It sounds as if this is a bit of a performance hog, but it is hard to tell

I imagine so, but it's first step in preserving compatibility at the hardware level.

But surely an easier solution to the statically compiled games can be found.

The general consensus seemed to be that it's just not possible without a huge amount of hacking of each game to work with GliDOS (which, no doubt, would cause other problems).

Reply 15 of 19, by stuntpup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just recently got a hold of a voodoo 2, and tested it in an old p200 system (which had onboard vga) .. and it worked great.
I intend to put it in a slightly quicker pc (a k6-450 and win98), but for now its great fun being able to play Klingon Honor Guard which was one of the first games i ever bought, but always had to run it in rubbish software mode !
I will have to think about getting a couple more cards as backups !! hehe

Reply 16 of 19, by Racer78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Stuntpup,

If you or others are looking for backup Voodoo2 boards, I have a 16MB Voodoo2 AGP board that I am not using. Any interest, let me know.

BTW, the card was previously used in a PII 450 Gateway G6 running Win98 and worked great on everything I played.

Racer78

Racer78

Reply 18 of 19, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup.

1. Quantum3D Obsidian2 S-12
2. 3dfx Voodoo 1000 (formerly STB Blackmagic 3D)

That's it, I think. Accurate too, I think.

Note that a.) you were required to have a PCI video card as your primary display adapter, as the Voodoo2 was a 3D-only daughtercard. b.) you got better results running two Voodoo2 PCI's in SLI mode (or one of those single SLI-on-one-card cards). d.) you could not "SLI" a Voodoo2 AGP to a Voodoo2 PCI. d.) it was impossible to have 2 Voodoo2 AGP's in SLI on the same motherboard. Even if you had the ONLY motherboard ever to have dual AGP ports, the prototype, never-released (and on my pie-in-the-sky collectible wish list) Micron Madison motherboard (using dual Micron Samurai DDR chipsets), I'm not certain that the Voodoo2 AGP's even had the SLI connectors. e.) some people goof and refer to the Voodoo Banshee as a Voodoo2, which Racer78 may be doing...

'Evening. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 19 of 19, by Racer78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Stiletto is right about what I have. It's a 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee AGP connected to a Voodoo2 3D Accerator in the a PCI slot.

In any case I decided to keep it. I got the old PC up and running by swapping out a sound card. Now I can run Glide supported games on the proper HW.

Thanks for straightening me out.

Racer78