VOGONS

First post, by Ikrit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, so I have Vista 32x (my first problem???). I have the CD for Steel Panthers 2, and Windows doesn't like it. So I installed DOSBox, and I installed Steel 2, but just before installation, it said my version of DOS was too old (5.0, 6.2 is needed). Then, after I ignored that, it said that it didn't detect a CD-ROM and that the game might not run. ONce again, I ignored that. So the game installed fine, and I type "steel2" to run it, and it is fine, but then it says, once again, that it couldn't find a CD-ROM, which causes the game to stop before it really began.

I have a DVD-ROM that works as a CD-ROM (of course, since the game installed from the CD).

Part of my problem is that I am limited by DOSBox not finding my backslash key on my keyboard, but I posted that in a possibly relevant thread, but any extra ideas you may have for that would be helpful.

I have already installed freeware/shareware games and run them perfectly via DOSBox, as well as Star Wars: Rebel Assault (CD) via DOSBox, which also works perfectly.

I thought about an ISO, but I would have to get one of the game, and I currently don't have the capability to do that at the moment.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 3, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

For the version problem, try this command before running the installer:

C:\>ver set 6 20

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

Reading the aptly named README file will be a good idea too.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 3, by Ikrit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ha ha! I am installing it now. No CD-ROM error message or version incompatibility at installation, and the installation is progressing fine. Thanks much for your help so far, and I will let you know if the game gets running!

EDIT: Wonderful! Everything was working perfectly on the first trial. So, I guess i will have to change the version and mount the cd-rom every time I play, but it is a prince I will have to pay. Thanks for your assistance!