VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox 0.73 Discussion

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 140 of 207, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Congratulations to the entire DOSBOX team on another fine build. Your continued efforts are greatly appreciated by those of us who like to reminisce.

Those of us who actually had 386 era machines recall how much "fun" it was having to tune your system for specific games (loading device drivers high, video/CD ROM/sound card incompatibilities and having to fiddle with jumpers for IRQ/DMA/addresses because this game or that doesn't recognize your sound card at the non-standard interrupt because your IDE/IO card wants the same interrupts/DMAs). Tech support forums for the 'good ole days' were full of these gripes.

I actually find it easier to get games working in DOSBOX with minimul teaking of the CONF file than when I had the actual hardware. Truthfully only certain demos won't work right - the same demos that I had problems with on my 386 & 486 PCs. I don't know that these demos ever worked at all so I'm not concerned.

To the the point-and-click generation: You need to realise that some research needs to be done to get these games working properly since many had known bugs that were never fixed or would only work if your PC was configured in a very, very specific way. If you're not the patient type DOS games and subsequently DOSBOX is NOT FOR YOU!!!!

Reply 142 of 207, by bugs_bugger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The high color mode of Trangression 2 by MFX does not work and I doubt it will work in future. Of course some demos which require MMX wont work, too. There are also timing problems with Panic by the Future Crew, which may be fixable by setting the cycles right, allthough I did not get it to work perfectly.

Reply 144 of 207, by bugs_bugger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great work, hal. I just thought getting the timing right in Panic was plain impossible, but proved it isnt. (Except for the shadebobs) Have you ever tried Trangression 2? Pouet link: http://pouet.net/prod.php?which=672

Reply 146 of 207, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Trangression 2 needs some special kind of S3 card/DAC. I got closest with the S3 Vision 864 which only had corruption because it was set to 15bpp while the demo needed 16bpp.

With a hacked DOSBox I go the result below. It only needs to be stretched. I could send you that DOSBox version...

Attachments

• tgr2_000.png
    Filename
    tgr2_000.png
    File size
    12.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

1+1=10

Reply 148 of 207, by ericmorrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, that worked. Actually, I am looking more for a suggestion rather than having a question answered. I am trying to get sound to work on the game "TV Sports Basketball". I used to play it with just the pc speaker many years ago. When trying to play it through DOSBox I just hear popping sounds, pretty much like HunterZ mentioned in his post on page 2. This happened in version 0.72 and I was hoping it would be fixed in the next version, but it still happens in version 0.73. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to remedy this? I can post more info if I wasn't specific enough about what is going on. Thanks so much!

Reply 151 of 207, by ericmorrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Lightmaster. I've never really posted to forums much before. Should I just cut and paste the entire conf file here (seems like it would take up so much space) or is there a better way to post those settings on this forum? Also, I'm afraid I don't know what you mean about mountings. Could you clarify that? Thanks!

Reply 153 of 207, by bugs_bugger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hal, that's great! You are the true master of gfx cards. I'd be interested in this hacked build of DosBox, but I don't have much time anyway. So I could also wait until this patch will be included in some "Megabuild" or in the CVS. But thanks alot.

Reply 154 of 207, by ericmorrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, here is the conf file I am using. I have tried changing many settings in it, such as the number of cycles, turning off soundsblaster emulation and gus emulation etc. and chanigning the sample rate of the pc speaker. Also, you mentioned posting my mountings. I don't think I know what that is. It's not how I mounted the game at the end of the conf file I attached, is it? Hope this helps. Thanks.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox-0.73.conf
    File size
    9.95 KiB
    Downloads
    385 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 156 of 207, by markoldgamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well done guys! You madfe it just in time for me to test it on my old PC before I upgrade it. There is a definite improvement in performance on my Athlon XP 2000 system. With 0.72 running Doom I got the odd 'sticking' key. Basically, I'd start running and I would be unable to stop, change direction or open fire for second or two after trying whilst Dosbox tried to catch up, but under 0.73 everything is working fine. Now I can turn before hitting walls and open fire before hitting monsters. Brilliant! I look forward to trying it out under Windows 7 when I get my new Phenom II rig running. Should be awesome.

Reply 157 of 207, by Serpent17

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

New DOSbox 0.73 is good (not as good as I expected but still). Looks more stable & slightly faster.

To H.A.L.:
You asked about demos so... Into the Shadows tech demo is still not working.

PS. If at some point the ITS demo will work (I don't think it will happen but...) - then it will mean DOSbox reached ULTRA-HIGH compatibility state. Now IMHO it's in HIGH.