VOGONS

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Google just happens to have most of this book readable online. It's jam packed with loads of info about the older stuff that we yearn for here.
Upgrading_RepairingPC.jpg

Go nuts, folks. 😀

Reply 1 of 16, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some time ago it was possible to register the book on the publishers website and download the electronic version. It was registered just by providing the ISBN, so anyone could get it (i have near all editions from 6th to 16th 😀).

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 2 of 16, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What I would really like is a 3rd edition.

Over time they slowly removed all the good stuff.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 16, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Register at:
http://www.informit.com/
Login and go to: http://www.informit.com/promotions/promotion. … px?promo=135426
Available editions:
URPCs 6th Edition - PDF - 7.3MB
URPCs 8th Edition - PDF - 6.7MB
URPCs 10th Edition - PDF - 8.6MB
URPCs 11th Edition - PDF - 17.9MB
URPCs 12th Edition - PDF - 55.2MB
URPCs 13th Edition - PDF - 89.9MB
URPCs 14th Edition - PDF - 60.1MB
URPCs 15th Edition - PDF - 46.3 MB
URPCs 16th Edition - PDF - 56.6 MB
(right click and Save link target).

Reply 5 of 16, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good stuff! Google that url GL1zdA gave, and select the google cache to bypass the login.

Here is a rough indication of the writing date and the high end CPU speed of each edition:

06th Ed 1995 200MHz
08th Ed 1997 300MHz
10th Ed 1998 450MHz
11th Ed 1999 600MHz
12th Ed 2000 1000MHz
13th Ed 2001 1333MHz
14th Ed 2002 2000MHz
15th Ed 2003 3000MHz

Reply 6 of 16, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

Good stuff! Google that url GL1zdA gave, and select the google cache to bypass the login.

Even better spoof your UserAgent to
Googlebot/2.1 (+http://www.google.com/bot.html)

And it will allow to view the page as google sees it. (This trick works on many websites, including some with paid content! Try the User Agent Switcher plug-in for Firefox).

Reply 8 of 16, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, fun stuff ! 😁

...and here I thought I was half-crazy, buying the first and fifth PAPER editions... shipping cost oh joy... 😜
(and I believe the second edition is somewhere around here as well, but didn't bother with 3rd, thinking most info would still be conserved in the 5th after researching the descriptions, page numbers etc)

And figured the later editions was not much point, as I knew most of it anyway...
But maybe I'll download a few to check them out...

Meanwhile - anyone find anything exciting or useful in these later(6th+) editions ?

Reply 10 of 16, by vampyre_tech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looks like I'm a day late and a dollar short. I just tried the links for everything and it's telling me "file not found" for all but the newest edition. 😢

P-III 500 | Intel 440BX | 512 PC133 | 40 Gig Maxtor | Creative 52X | Sound Blaster AWE 32 | Voodoo 5 5500 PCI | 3.5 & 5.25 Drives

Reply 12 of 16, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

I get the same file not found message now, could the webmaster have noticed the increased downloads of these files and removed them?

Probably yes. I don't think there are many 'normal' people interested in 10 years old PC repairing books 😀. But this shouldn't be a problem, as there are now certainly some copies of these files around.

Reply 14 of 16, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, they're back up. Just downloaded the 6th, 13th and 16th editions here. Not sure I really needed the later ones, since I'm already a sort of walking encyclopedia of late '90s-early 2000s hardware, but hey, might as well get 'em while they're there.

Reply 15 of 16, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One UK based used book shop on ebay has many of these books for sale. In paper form I mean. Some editions are almost for free, about 3 english pounds excluding shipping. I bought a 12th edition, which was printed in 2000. It has the emphasis on the Pentium II/III and the AMD K6 + K7. The book is 6,5 cm (2.5 inches) thick!. No CD was not included with it.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 16 of 16, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I got my 13th edition from that shop as well as one of my OS/2 books. I own the 2nd, 6th and 13th.

Will pay $$$ for:

caching ISA I/O-IDE controller

PM me for my list of trade-ables...