VOGONS

Windows 95 Emulation with DosBox

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Lord Uber Dowzen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was looking through the dosbox readme and saw that the eventually the team want it to be able to emulate windows games. I'm really excited about this as there are a few of my games which I've tried everything with and my last hope is emulation.

My question is why doesn't the DosBox team start a seperate winbox (or something) project to emulate windows 95 because I think I'm not the only one who would love this.

Reply 1 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The amount of Windows games that do not work well on modern Windows is paltry in comparison to DOS games.

Windows 9x support has slowly been added to DOSBox over time and eventually will likely be fully supported but not any time soon.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 20, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBox:
loads faster
easier to setup
emulated sound cards

vs

virtualbox, qemu, vmware:
faster cpu
opengl/d3d acceleration

Qemu has opl and gus, except it's hit and miss, with nearly everything miss, when it comes to opl playback. I haven't tried gus as there's been no binary released with gus support and qemu fails to compile when I tried. This is in DOS though. The only point about sound cards for windows that I think of is using programs for specific cards or w9x games that would use OPL playback.

There's the glide patch for DOSBox, but the other VMs can use one of the many glide wrappers to achieve the same.

Only question to me is whether the other VMs fall down in someway like QEMU does in DOS, otherwise they should be better for running windows with their faster CPU and 3d accel.

Reply 8 of 20, by Lord Uber Dowzen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

AWESOME!!! I didn't think there were any good virtulization software except for the microsoft one (which doesn't work on vista home premium). Will be downloading straight away. @ robertmo yeah 95 would be better but I don't think I have it. My do some digging though...

Reply 9 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

9x in VM's do not support 3D Acceleration so you'd have to use a software video card emulator like swiftshader (only for DX8/9 games) which is very very slow.

Reply 13 of 20, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Lord Uber Dowzen wrote:

Any one got a tutorial for virtual box? I think I could probably work it out, but a tutorial would be easy, Thanks.

here you go
http://tinyurl.com/m6pf28

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 14 of 20, by bugs_bugger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Stay away from Virtual Box if you want to run full or partial 16bit software. I tried Win98 and it was extremly slow. I think the reason is that Win98 switches back to realmode very often. This seems to be slow as hell. There is an article about the internals of 95/98/Me on "the old new thing" and it explains very well why this is the case.

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/200 … 24/6849530.aspx

Reply 16 of 20, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

None of them do. I just checked VirtualBox 3.0 manual and it's still D3D\OpenGL for XP+ guests. (and OpenGL for Linux/Solaris)

Checked the Vmware Technology Preview and it's still for XP+ as well.

Last I checked with Vmware you could use D3D with Windows 2000 and I've heard reports that it works in VirtualBox as well. I heard that the BSOD issue when using D3D in Windows 2000 guests has been fixed. Haven't verified.