SCI0 problems

Topic actions

First post, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey folks,

While running SCI0 games (ie SQ3 et al) with VDMS and Speedset I get horrible skipping forward glitches. The music may run fine for 20 seconds but then it'll skip say 3 seconds forward. What causes this one? Anything I can do? Etc, etc.

Highest regards,
- Alistair,
http://www.sierramusic.tk

Reply 1 of 19, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Slight update:

In LSL3 it does the skipping, in SQ3 only the speed of the music's wrong.. but not uniformly. It will run normally then too slow, etc etc.
SCI1 games run fine.

- Alistair

Reply 4 of 19, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

eh? There were some issues with FreeSCI's audio engine, but they were resolved some time ago in CVS, and I can't imagine why they wouldn't have released another version since then.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 19, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Spikey And it won't help with newer SCI1 games either. (QFG4, KQ6)

QFG4 has speed-sensitive problems and bugs that I don't believe can be fixed by Speedset. Will probably have to wait for the release of the protected-mode version of DosBox for it work properly.

I don't recall any speed problems for KQ6. Will look for my CD and double-check.

Reply 9 of 19, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Incorrect, Vlad. I used to use VDM Sound alone with Windows XP, and the sound's too slow. For games around the time of PQ3, LSL1 and 5 I can get Speedset running beautifully, but SCI0 games and newer SCI1 games won't run properly.
Any ideas for help?

Regards,
- Alistair

Reply 11 of 19, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My bad, KQ6 runs fine. QFG4 is still a worry, though.

And of course the SCI0 games that run fine for a few seconds, then begin to lag, then skip to catch up with where the song should be..

- Alistair

Reply 12 of 19, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Spikey My bad, KQ6 runs fine.

The DOS version anyway. Would be nice if I could get the Windows version running, though.

QFG4 is still a worry, though.

The best hope here is DosBox. At present, the public version can't run it, but the most recent Beta has overcome the major problems.

Hopefully, the next release will support it fully.

Reply 13 of 19, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well Nicht, I'm interested in recording music from the games, so speed is important..

Windows versions actually play music too fast because of modern processor speeds.

Gabriel Knight 1 is another one that really bugs me with slow music.

But thanks for the suggestion, I've really got to boot up DOSBox sometime.

- Spikey

Reply 14 of 19, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Spikey Windows versions actually play music too fast because of modern processor speeds.

Hrmm... Don't recall that.

Gabriel Knight 1 is another one that really bugs me with slow music.

Dos version?

Reply 15 of 19, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can record music with VDMSound's built-in recording functionality, then tweak the tempo in a MIDI editing proggy. Or just extract the music from the games using a SCI/AGI editor.
V.

Reply 16 of 19, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry for the late reply- school, et al.

Nicht: GK1DOS, yeah.
And Windows versions really do play the music too fast (for any processor over 1 GHz).

Vlad: Explain this MIDI recording deal. 😀
SCI0 games, yeah, I can extract MIDI's. So not a worry.
I have no idea how to extract MIDI/Sound resources from VGA games though. Well, early ones like SQ4, Longbow I can do but I can't convert them to MIDI's. Have no idea about extracting from SCI1(newer)/SCI3/SCI32 etc. (SQ5, GK1, KQ6 etc etc).

My main concerns are SQ6, GK1, QFG4. If you can explain how to record from VDMS I'll be a happy man.

Regards,
- Alistair

Last edited by Spikey on 2003-08-23, 11:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 19, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Spikey Nicht: GK1DOS, yeah.
And Windows versions really do play the music too fast (for any processor over 1 GHz).

Ok, my last test with GK1 was on a 850MHz PC.

Reply 18 of 19, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Separate things: GK1DOS = too slow in XP with VDMS.

Windows games (haven't yet tried GK1WIN) = too fast as in Windows the processor ticks over so efficiently the music goes too fast.

- Alistair

Reply 19 of 19, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Updating, I'm pretty sure I was wrong back then. Windows music ISN'T too fast. God knows what I was on back then (there is a Sierra WIN music error, though, but that's another story).

However Speedset does nothing when used with later SCI1 games, as I posted years ago. SQ6, KQ7, GK1, QFG4, etc etc etc. Frustating as VDM Sound makes most work just fine (very grateful to Vlad for that one), and I've never needed to use DOSBOX playing Sierra classics to date. So if Speedset was fixed, I dare say it'd help a lot of Sierra gamers. Namely because it's very annoying to either hear slow music or have to play buggy Windows games.

But, I'm still very grateful to you guys. I like playing games with hi-res on my new machines and Sound Canvas/MT-32 sound! (Though, I just set up an old rig in my bedroom..)

Regards,
- Spike (Alistair)