VOGONS

Common searches

Windows 7 - which version ?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, so this may be far from the 'best' forum to post this, but.... 😅

Was wondering, if level of control over settings and whatnot is the issue, disregarding any extra features or whatever - which version of Win7 would be the best ?
(in parallell to XP home vs Pro)

Would the Ultimate have any 'better' control than Professional, I wonder ?

Been trying to find any relevant info online, but.... 😵

I don't need any business'y features, or advanced encryption or network options, just normal OS stuff. But I don't want to have artificial limiting on what I can do to the settings...

Reply 2 of 89, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm thinking the better question is wether to go with either the 32-bit or 64-bit builds, luckily it appears that Microsoft will include both version on the same install media or perhaps their own install media discs.

As for me I'm using the RC1, build 7100 release and like it a lot, however, I will most likely just stick with the Professional/Business edition as I don't need that extra fluff like Media Center etc...

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 4 of 89, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

just a side note there is mod called "take owner ship" wich was made for vista but also works on w7 at least on rc7100 that lets you take control of files if gives you admin crap assuming there is not some program using the file your trying move or rename or delete or whatever.

Reply 9 of 89, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, this must be my first ever pinned post! 😁

Anyways, been checking out that other thread and links inside - but my question is still unanswered as it stands.
Though one could argue that the level of user control is the same, regardless of professional or ultimate, and that extra features is the real difference.

But so far, no actual info to be found.
Oh well, we'll see later this year then, after the release...

Reply 10 of 89, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Huh? The link in the first post of that thread has a quite extensive list of the differences in Win7 versions, including the differences between Pro and Ultimate: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_skus_compare.asp#rtm

Looks like Pro won't have things like their DirectAccess VPN-like feature, booting from hard disk images, bundled BitLocker hard disk encryption, etc. Most of that stuff is of no interest to even home power users.

Reply 12 of 89, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm going with Home Premium because the only feature I'll miss is Remote Desktop hosting, and I can use a free VNC server like TightVNC or UltraVNC for similar functionality if needed.

Apparently you can pay at any time to upgrade to a higher version if you find you need a locked-out feature.

Reply 13 of 89, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, so maybe I'm asking the 'wrong' question (or making up problems that don't exist), but... what I was(am) wondering about was if there are any differences in the LEVEL of control of certain functions - as in 'you can change these settings for a particular 'area' in Pro, but a few more settings open up in Ultimate' etc.

I mean, like you can fiddle around with the Services and their properties in WinXP Pro, but not(?) in XP Home, even though the do exist(hidden) in both....
(ok, not sure if this example is a 'fact', as I've never used Home, so be gentle... 😊 )

Am I making any sense yet ?
Probably not, heh... 😜

Anyway - that Pro and Ultimate have different feature sets, I understand - but do Ultimate have a greater level of control over features/technologies/whateveryoucallit that actually exist in both versions ?
Do Pro have a dumbed-down control interface in certain areas vs Ultimate?

Maybe I didn't look closely enough - or don't know how interpret the info there - but I couldn't find any clues on that 'supersite'.
But then again, this could also be a non-issue... 😅

Reply 14 of 89, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i wouldn't know with digging in files control panel should have everything need from firewall exceptions and update manager to, to, to i don't know tons of stuff i guess try an RC version RC version are ultimate if you have any control issues i just use take owner ship for files thats the only thing i have run into.

Reply 15 of 89, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It was only the HOME versions that screwed around with the basic featurers of the workstation OS. All other versions of Windows on up allow you to do everything that you need to do.

I don't have a ton of experience witht the HOME versions but AFAIK there are ways around all of the limitations if you look hard enough.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 16 of 89, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If price is not the issue, there's no reason why you should not get the Ultimate.
Since Ultimate already has everything you need in the Professional version, but not necessarily the other way round. Most of the additional features as you have mentioned like the business-oriented and security related additions will not come in your way if you're not gonna use them. At least you'll be at ease and have the content, fulfilled feeling that you have access to all the complete add-ons when you need them.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers