VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is an old CGA/EGA shoot-em-up game by Emerald Software (1988). It also appeared in Amiga (was quite different) and maybe other systems. It also may be called with a different name that I cannot recall now. I checked Home of the Underdogs. It was called If it moves, shoot it! 😀 stupid name if I ever heard one.
The problem with this game (PC speaker only) is not the sound but the EGA graphics. While CGA will work on mostly every machine out there, EGA graphics need a REAL EGA card. It won't come properly under VGA, even if the game is still playable. Any info would be appreciated.

Reply 1 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by eL_PuSHeR The problem with this game (PC speaker only) is not the sound but the EGA graphics. While CGA will work on mostly every machine out there, EGA graphics need a REAL EGA card.

You're mistaken on the EGA info. In any case, the way this game is coded, it doesn't like working on modern/NT PC's.

Suggest you use DosBox.

Reply 2 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

[Nicht Sehr Gut]: The game gives me a gpf when run from a dos windows inside XP. Under DosBox it loads but the screen appears half-cut. Under real dos, the bottom line appears cut too.

Reply 3 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The version I have (very primitive) has an CGAFIGHT.EXE and EGAFIGHT.EXE files. I downloaded another version from the internet and it has VGASHOOT.EXE , allowing now proper function under VGA cards.

Reply 4 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by eL_PuSHeR The version I have (very primitive) has an CGAFIGHT.EXE and EGAFIGHT.EXE files.

Ok, don't have that version. The programmers were trying to do some of the "neato" video tricks that were being done on the Amiga and may have broken a few rules in the process. Even when run on DosBox, the "transition effects" (lost a ship/starting with new ship, etc...) don't work properly but the game appears to run fine.

Should look like DosBox image posted below.

I'll stick with the Amiga version myself. 16 Colors just isn't enough...

Attachments

• iimsi.gif
    Filename
    iimsi.gif
    File size
    16.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception