VOGONS

Common searches

AMIGA games VS IBM PC ... which are better?

Topic actions

First post, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First, I don't know if this post is in the proper forum (but I hope so).

Here's the question: Of all the titles which were done on BOTH the Amiga and the PC, which ones had their "best" version on the Amiga? Perhaps some people would say "all of them" but I suspect this would be a bit of an exaggeration.

I'll begin by guessing that "Sid Meier's Pirates!" had its best version on Amiga, although I have read somewhere that the PC's "Pirates! Gold" title is its equal, or nearly so.

Any other titles come to mind, that you fellows care to discuss? How about Civilization, or many other "classic" titles that were available on both systems?

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...

Reply 1 of 83, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it depends on the game. On a plain pc many just suck, but when u add a nice soundcard for example, the tables turn 😀
Adventures/rpg's are better in pc's IMHO because of 256 colors, a feature that only AGA amigas have.
Generally platforms are better in amiga though, way better...
also keep in mind that many games available in both platforms are convertions. First they would make the amiga version (that is what the gaming masses had back then) and then the pc. Usually the pc version came out crap.

Reply 2 of 83, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is what I would like to hear -- which SPECIFIC PC titles pale in comparison to their Amiga counterparts? (Also, for this discussion, I am proposing that both the PC and the Amiga "test" machines are "top of the line" and have their best sound-and-video card options equipped on each).

Reply 4 of 83, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

and before the Amiga, there were many 8-bit titles that were great on the C64, basically had EGA, 16 Color built in with a 3 channel sound chip too 😉

The original Pirates! by Microprose was the shiznit on the C64 as even back then I ran the audio through my old Marantz Receiver 😁

Another title that looks pretty close to being equal is Syndicate from EA/Bullfrog, quite a fun game on both platforms 😀

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 7 of 83, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Games from the late 80's and early 90's always looked better on the Amiga compared to horrible 16 colour EGA graphics at the time. The audio on the Amiga was also superior compared to what most PC sound cards could do (Gameblaster and Adlib sucked compared to the Amiga audio chipset.... even Sound Blaster midi was hardly a match!).

Reply 8 of 83, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I need to hear Amigaz opinion about this cause there are certain things in this thread that makes me go into an instant "WTF ??? mode" with some answers such as Keropis post, but hey as I said. I want to hear Amigaz opinion about this , cause there are too much irregularities. Cause Super frog on PC is basically the same as the Amiga version, the same goes to Project X, so I actually am looking forward to see Amigaz post in this thread.

Reply 9 of 83, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My opinion is that I totally agree with Keropi...Amiga games blew the PC totally out of the water until 1992-93 when PC games started to take advantage of the hardware and Commodore who made the the Amiga lost it's bottle.
When I was young and owned both the C64 and Amiga the PC was no competition...it was only the consoles like the Sega Megadrive that gave the Amiga games some competition.

So if the creator of this thread is into games from the mid 80's up to the early 90's so Amiga is your best choice if you want good graphics and high quality game music with real sfx like speech for example.

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 11 of 83, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

People when laffer35 made his two videos, he did it with a twist in the humorous way, such as taking games from the PC that were horrendous in comparison to the Amiga port, but as I have said before Project X, Superfrog , and James Pond 2 were identical when it came to the PC vs. the Amiga version.
So it all boils down to what games we are talking about. But yes of course most of the times PC game players were shafted because of the sucky sound and graphics at the time.

Reply 12 of 83, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

Some of the Amiga games, like many or the Sierra games, were just very poor ports of PC games. Because of this the real answer is more of a depends on the game.

Which Sierra games? all the oldies on the PC had 16 colours and horrible sound... such as the early Leisure suit Larry and King's Quest games (they did get better over time on the PC).

I would say "most" games were better on the Amiga from 1987-1992/3. One of my favourites was "It Came From the Desert" which was a steaming pile of turd on the PC... but i'm sure the PC did have a few gems back then too 😀

Reply 13 of 83, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Amigaz wrote:

My opinion is that I totally agree with Keropi...Amiga games blew the PC totally out of the water until 1992-93 when PC games started to take advantage of the hardware and Commodore who made the the Amiga lost it's bottle.

So if the creator of this thread is into games from the mid 80's up to the early 90's so Amiga is your best choice if you want good graphics and high quality game music with real sfx like speech for example.

WAAAAHHH!! 🤐 this is BAD news! I only have about a Bazillion dollars already invested in my "late 80's/early 90's" IBM PC game collection. To ponder that I might now need to add a few hundred Amiga titles in order to enjoy the "best" versions of my games is...uh...a bummer, to say the least! Not to mention acquiring the necessary hardware. How close can today's best Amiga emulation come, to the real thing?

Last edited by digitaldoofus on 2009-09-19, 22:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 83, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hmmm since I have listened to the Amiga version and the PC version of James Pond 2 , am I back to my main answer of the Amiga vs. the pc when it comes to games James Pond pc is a bit weaker in sound when it comes to the PC version, but Project X and Superfrog I can not hear any difference . If I am not correct with my assumption of those two games, then please enlighten me, and prove me wrong. Cause I really love the Amiga computer.

Reply 15 of 83, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ih8registrations wrote:

thanks for the link. a (Youtube) video is worth a thousand words... 😁

Reply 16 of 83, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i just knew there was a reason I wanted an Amiga (instead of a PC) when I was a youngster. Regrettably I was too poor at the time to get either one.

Reply 17 of 83, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I must say that when the TALKIES came out from Lucas Arts, I was glad I also purchased a 486 with a Soundblaster 16 Multimedia Kit, the extra $500 was worth it for titles like DOTT and Full Throttle which I still get out and play from time to time 😁

But for me the Amiga will always have a special place, hence the reason I still own fully working units too 😉

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 18 of 83, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not to change the tone of the thread too much, but...since the Commodore 64 has been brought up, I must add that when I did get into computing I went the Atari 800 route instead of Commodore. Very good stuff, although certainly plenty of differences.

Reply 19 of 83, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some that I think were better on the Amiga:
Times of Lore
Ultima III, IV, and V
Dungeon Master, though the Amiga version was nearly identical to the original Atari ST version
Bard's Tale 1-3
Faery Tale Adventure
The Pawn
Defender of the Crown
Populous 1 & 2
The original Star Control 1
The original Sim City

There were some that I regarded as better on the PC though:
Wing Commander
Ultima VI

I had an Amiga 2000 from 1986 until just a few years ago. I thought it beat the PC for gaming hands down with stereo sound and games that were 32 colors vs EGA's 16 colors. I had a Bridgeboard with an EGA card in it as well so I could play PC games too. When the 386 with Soundblaster and VGA graphics became popular in the early 90s the PC became the better gaming platform.