VOGONS

Problkems with Wing Commander 2 and Kings Quest 3

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

The sounds on WC2 seems to be up and running, only as soon as the first person starts talking in the intro, the game freezes 🙁 It can't be a problem with the game because I used to play past that part when the sound didn't work.

As for KQ3, the sound simply doesn't work at all. Any advice? I'd be extremely grateful.

Reply 1 of 35, by Unregistered

User metadata

Oh and as for the request requirements... here's what I could figure out.

Motherboard - ? 😒

Processor type and speed - Pentium 4, 1700 MHZ

Amount and type of RAM - 512 MB Rambus

Video board w/ RAM amount and type - Radeon 9700 pro, 128 MB

Sound board - SB Live! Wave device

Operating system - Windows XP

Sound mode used - ? 😒

Video mode (Software, OpenGL, Direct3D, or Glide, and resolution) - ? 😒

If anyone who wants to help can tell me how to find out what I need to know to fill in those blanks, I'll do it gladly.

Reply 3 of 35, by Unregistered

User metadata

No clue.

I've come to a possible conclusion about WC2 though. I think it's freezing cause it's running too fast. Now I'd gladly download something to slow down my processor, but the warning message on the link given from here scares me. Something about "your computer may break." Do you know of one that would work well enough on Windows XP?

Reply 4 of 35, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Sierra AGI games only had PC speaker sounds, but there are 3 voices that can be heard if you patch the AGI file with Anders Olsson's patch http://www.QuestStudios.com/roland/utilities/agimid05.zip . You can also get the sound with a 3rd party interpreter such as NAGI.

Reply 6 of 35, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Oh and as for the request requirements... here's what I could figure out.

If anyone who wants to help can tell me how to find out what I need to know to fill in those blanks, I'll do it gladly.

http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32

Get the "Personal System Information" version.

The EXE version will install itself, but that not's really needed. You can just unzip the ZIP version and run the AIDA executable. Be prepared for a ton of info.

Originally posted by Unregistered I've come to a possible conclusion about WC2 though. I think it's freezing cause it's running too fast.

The original WC2 is unplayable on modern PC's. Like DosFreak said, use DosBox and be sure to adjust cycles as needed (read the README that comes with it).

Now I'd gladly download something to slow down my processor, but the warning message on the link given from here scares me. Something about "your computer may break."

They won't "break' the PC, but will cause side-effects. Frequently unpleasant ones...

Originally posted by collector You can also get the sound with a 3rd party interpreter such as NAGI.

NAGI is the most time-consuming to set up, but gives the best possible results. The guide and some links are here.

Another option is to emulate one of the many ports (IE: the Amiga/Atari ST versions had the 3-voice audio and a mouse interface).

Reply 7 of 35, by Unregistered

User metadata

As sad as it is, I fear that both NAGI and Dos-box are too complicated for lil old me to figure out.

Nagi, I have absolutely no clue what to do with.

Dos-Box, apparently I need to figure out how to mount my c drive or something. I tried to figure it out from the readme, but I couldn't 🙁

Continued support would be greatly appreciated!

I'll post the info from AIDA as soon as it finishes downloading.

Thanks guys!

Reply 10 of 35, by Unregistered

User metadata

Okay, making good progress with dos-box.

I figured out how to mount directories...

KQ3 seems to work great with it 😁

Only problem left with that is... how do you make dos-box full screen?

And awwww crap... the same exact problem happens for WC2. The Kilrathi guy in the intro says two words, then the game freezes.

Also... now instead of running too fast, the game is running too slow 😒

Last edited by Unregistered on 2003-06-24, 01:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 35, by gil22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"Now... how do you make dos-box full screen?"

Hit the "Alt" and "Enter" keys at the same time.

Actually,

It's easier to just hold down the the "Alt" key to the right of the spacebar and then press the "enter" key.

And

You might want to use the doboxfro.exe front-end to Dosbox. You should be able to get it from the Dosbox home page. It's quite easy to use.

-------------

Quoting from a post up above:

"The original WC2 is unplayable on modern PC's. Like DosFreak said, use DosBox and be sure to adjust cycles as needed (read the README that comes with it)."

You can do that reasonably easily with the front-end I mentioned before.

Good Luck!

Reply 13 of 35, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

RTFM

ALT-ENTER Go full screen and back.
CTRL-F5 Save a screenshot
CTRL-F7 Decrease frameskip
CTRL-F8 Increase frameskip
CTRL-F9 Go full screen and back.
CTRL-F10 Capture/Release the mouse.
CTRL-F11 Slowdown emulation.
CTRL-F12 Speedup emulation.

IMO, FrontEnds for DosBox are a waste of time.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 14 of 35, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Also... now instead of running too fast, the game is running too slow

*taps fingers on desktop impatiently*
Much like DosFreak said, you need to Read The Fine Manual.

Actually, I had specifically said to read the README file that comes with it. It doesn't have a .TXT extension so can't just double-click on it to read it. If you want that, just right-click on it, choose "Rename" and add .TXT to the filename.

Reply 15 of 35, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

😀

Two little changes:

CTRL-F9 is instant kill

and the readme does have a .TXT extension

😀

Good luck I thought WC2 didn't work as you couldn't type your name or so (at least it did that once at my place a long time ago)

Peter

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 16 of 35, by Unregistered

User metadata

Thanks guys, you've all been really helpful. I'm sorry if I'm frustrating you 😒

Everything seems to be A-ok except for the same old WC2 problem. It keeps freezing after the first two words in the intro are spoken 🙁

What could I possibly do to fix such a problem?

Also, I just tried to play WC1 figuring it'd work much easier, but it asks me to insert disk 1 😮 This is when I use Dos-Box to run the same .exe that actually starts up the game through windows BTW (without sound and way too fast of course).

Last edited by Unregistered on 2003-06-24, 23:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 35, by Unregistered

User metadata

Oh the horror. I tried pressing enter rapidly to skip the intro segments and it still freezes on that part, since it's at the very beginning of a scene I guess. All I hear is "I will," then it freezes. I even got the screen to fade to black as if it were going to the next scene... but I still heard the damn game ending speech 🙁

Last edited by Unregistered on 2003-06-24, 23:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 35, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Odd, Works fine over here. (Well as fine as it can on a 400mhz processor....).

Can you disable sound and try it again? i don't see how the sound can be misconfigured since the game autodetects the IRQ settings (at least in my ver...data files dated 2/4/1995). I chose Creative Labs Sound Blaster and "Yes" for Digitized Speech.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline