VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hello,

i try to run blood bowl on winxp.
installed newest vdmsound-release, update and launchpad.
when "run with vdms" the bb.exe, the screen goes black for a short time (about 2 secs), thereafter a error message "VDMS Launchpad - BB
Die NTVDM-CPU hat einen ungültigen Befehl entdeckt.
CS0000 IP:0077 OP:f0 37 05 0e 02 Klicken Sie auf schließen umdie Anwendung zu beenden" appears.
what can i do?

thx in advance 😀

oh... this thread doesnt help:
showthread.php?threadid=1625

Reply 1 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried it under real DOS (with a bootable disc)?
Then you can try step by step. First of all, try running it under WinXP without any sound at all. If it works, then it must be some problem with the sound emulation. Are you sure that you have specified right values for IRQ, DMA, etc in the game config?
Have you tried running it under DOSBOX?

P.S: I dislike so many "unregistered" people. I feel like talking to the Nameless One.

Reply 2 of 10, by Unregistered

User metadata

sorry for posting unregistered, but i AM the nameles one...
j/k
i think registering just for 1 posting doesnt make much sense 😀

ok, got the first problem solved by deinstalling and reinstalling the whole vdms-package and creating a new link thru the vdms-launcher.
game starts fine but the sound in stuttering (i hope this is the correct english word for "stottern") starts for 2 secs, stops for 2 secs, starts......... and so on... speedset cant help here
i dont know why... do you have an idea here?
my soundcard is an "hercules gamesurround muse xl" and i have no dos drivers.

Reply 3 of 10, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Unregistered wrote:

game starts fine but the sound in stuttering (i hope this is the correct english word for "stottern") starts for 2 secs, stops for 2 secs, starts......... and so on... speedset cant help here
i dont know why... do you have an idea here?

So let's take a look at the usual suspects here. First one: do you have any hardware monitor program installed, such as a temperature monitor or hardware tester? Usually these programs install device drivers to gain low-level access to the hardware that interfere with VDMSound. You can also look for a file named "winio.sys" or "giveio.sys", that is a device driver commonly used by many of these programs. If you find one of these, rename the file and reboot your computer, then try playing the game again.

Other possibility is that the game needs a shorter polling interval for sound transfers. Edit the properties for the VDMS shortcut you are using, going to the Performance tab and lowering the values for the DMA Polling period. Try 5/10, 5/5 or even 2/5, if your CPU can handle. You'll need a rather fast CPU to work with the smaller intervals (my Athlon XP 1800+ gets to 2/5 in certain games without problems, but a PIII under 1GHz may have trouble with this).

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From my personal testing: Seems ok. Sb16+fm= slight tempo mismatches/lagged animations, must choose SB Yamaha for SB16 FM audio (to avoid OPL3 problems).

Found GM MIDI not to be viable as I frequently got "stuck instruments", very annoying.

From the error you're reporting it sounds more like a problem with the "16-bit susbsystem". Can you run other DOS programs? ...with audio?

Reply 5 of 10, by Unregistered

User metadata

i wish all of you a good morning 😀

MajorGrubert wrote:

So let's take a look at the usual suspects here. First one: do you have any hardware monitor program installed, such as a temperature monitor or hardware tester? Usually these programs install device drivers to gain low-level access to the hardware that interfere with VDMSound.

no, i dont have installed those things

You can also look for a file named "winio.sys" or "giveio.sys", that is a device driver commonly used by many of these programs. If you find one of these, rename the file and reboot your computer, then try playing the game again.

neither winio.sys or giveio.sys were found on my machine

Other possibility is that the game needs a shorter polling interval for sound transfers. Edit the properties for the VDMS shortcut you are using, going to the Performance tab and lowering the values for the DMA Polling period. Try 5/10, 5/5 or even 2/5, if your CPU can handle. You'll need a rather fast CPU to work with the smaller intervals (my Athlon XP 1800+ gets to 2/5 in certain games without problems, but a PIII under 1GHz may have trouble with this).

i tried those pollings, the result in the game remains the same.
my machine is a p4 1.4ghz

Originally posted by Nicht Sehr Gut From my personal testing: Seems ok. Sb16+fm= slight tempo mismatches/lagged animations, mu […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by Nicht Sehr Gut

From my personal testing: Seems ok. Sb16+fm= slight tempo mismatches/lagged animations, must choose SB Yamaha for SB16 FM audio (to avoid OPL3 problems).

Found GM MIDI not to be viable as I frequently got "stuck instruments", very annoying.

From the error you're reporting it sounds more like a problem with the "16-bit susbsystem". Can you run other DOS programs? ...with audio?

how do i choose sb yamaha?
yes, the error comes from the 16bit subsystem, but i dont know why... i hate winxp *lol*
blood bowl is the only prog that i was trying to run, i´ll take a look at my collection and try to find another dos-game and report whats going on with this
maybe i will install winme... i think this had no problems at all with dos-game...

please excuse my bad english, i´m from germany 😀

btw: nice nick, Nicht Sehr Gut, are you from germany or speak german?

regards "the nameless one" 😉

Reply 6 of 10, by Unregistered

User metadata

ok, the "Generic "DOS-Game" for testing..." ( showthread.php?threadid=1542 )
runs fine at my machine. the sound is not stuttering. i used "run with vdms" at standard settings, like i did with blood bowl...

did i say that i hate winxp? 😉

regards, the "nameless one" 😀

edit: got another idea... maybe its directx9? had to install it vor some new game...

Last edited by Unregistered on 2003-06-27, 10:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered i wish all of you a good morning

Guten Morgen.

how do i choose sb yamaha?

Well, you know that is a good question...as soon as I find my CD again, I may have an answer. I suspect you're playing the "ripped" version which, strangely, is missing needed files to alter the game's sound settings.

yes, the error comes from the 16bit subsystem, but i dont know why...

It's what exists in Windows NT for the purpose of imitating DOS/16-Bit Windows. It's not a complete emulator though, so anything that uses a "feature" that the 16-bit subsystem doesn't support...BOOM.

i hate winxp *lol*

This is why it should always be installed as part of a dual-boot with DOS or Win9x.

maybe i will install winme... i think this had no problems at all with dos-game...

*heh* WinME has it's own problems...

please excuse my bad english,

Better than my German.

nice nick, Nicht Sehr Gut, are you from germany or speak german?

No and not really...Nicht Sehr Gut refers to language and Quake 3 Arena skills.

Ich spreche nicht Deutsches, ich bin ein Amerikaner.

Originally posted by Unregistered ok, the "Generic "DOS-Game" for testing..." runs fine at my machine. the sound is not stuttering. i used "run with vdms" at standard settings, like i did with blood bowl...

So the problem doesn't appear to be with VDMSound (if you got both sound and music).

did i say that i hate winxp?

Yes.

edit: got another idea... maybe its directx9? had to install it vor some new game...

I have noticed a number of people with DX9 that seem to have problems that DX8 people don't have...

Reply 9 of 10, by Unregistered

User metadata

hello & first let me say "thank you" 😀

yes, i have the ripped version, the setup-tool wants to copy files from the cd, wich i not have... 🙁

if i setup dualboot dos/winxp i have no sound, ´cause i have no dos-drivers for my "gamesurround muse xl".

win95/98 refuses to run on my machine (it has problems recognizing my mobo, winme/xp runs fine, so only dualboot winme/xp is possible 🙁

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Originally posted by Unregistered ok, the "Gene […]
Show full quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Unregistered ok, the "Generic "DOS-Game" for testing..." runs fine at my machine. the sound is not stuttering. i used "run with vdms" at standard settings, like i did with blood bowl...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the problem doesn't appear to be with VDMSound (if you got both sound and music).

yes, the test-game runs both music and soundeffects.
i dont know much about vdms and so i have no clue, what the problem may be 🙁

my solution may be dualboot winme (with dx8 for my older games) and winxp with dx9 for the newer ones

i also have no clue, why it runs flawlessly with the commercial tool... maybe it´s only a problem with my vdms configuration...?

anyway, thx for your time 😀

greetings
the "nameless one" 😉

Reply 10 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered yes, i have the ripped version, the setup-tool wants to copy files from the cd, wich i not have...

After double-checking, it appears that the default config WILL work...I think you have a different problem happening.

if i setup dualboot dos/winxp i have no sound, ´cause i have no dos-drivers for my "gamesurround muse xl".

Even so, Win98 allows direct hardware access and if you're using WDM drivers there is a "sort of" SoundBlaster emulator usually included (only for titles run in a command prompt within Windows 9x).

win95/98 refuses to run on my machine (it has problems recognizing my mobo, winme/xp runs fine, so only dualboot winme/xp is possible

Find that hard to believe. Basic Win98 can handle up to a 2.1Gig processor. Patched, it can handle 2.2GHz or higher. Not aware of any 98SE limitations. In any case, you have ME so you already have a Win9x OS. It's just more difficult to use with DOS titles.

i dont know much about vdms and so i have no clue, what the problem may be

Well, since it ran with sound and music, the problem isn't VDMSound.

my solution may be dualboot winme (with dx8 for my older games) and winxp with dx9 for the newer ones

Probably, although you may need one of the hacks/patches out there for "real" DOS access.

i also have no clue, why it runs flawlessly with the commercial tool... maybe it´s only a problem with my vdms configuration...?

No, it's probably not a VDMSound config problem. SoundFX works in a different way, IIRC it is more of a wrapper than an emulator.

In any case, here's a post from a couple of years ago where Vlad points out the differences between the two:

Originally posted by Unregistered yes, i have the ripped version, the setup-tool wants to copy files from the cd, wich i not have...

After double-checking, it appears that the default config WILL work...I trhink you have a different problem happening.

Even so, Win98 allows direct hardware access and if you're using WDM drivers there is a "sort of" SoundBlaster emulator usually included (only for titles run in a command prompt within Windows 9x).

win95/98 refuses to run on my machine (it has problems recognizing my mobo, winme/xp runs fine, so only dualboot winme/xp is possible

Find that hard to beleive. Basic Win98 can handle up to a 2.1Gig processor. Patched, it can handle 2.2GHz or higher. Not aware of any 98SE limitations. In any case, you have ME so you already have a Win9x OS. It's just more difficult to use with DOS titles.

i dont know much about vdms and so i have no clue, what the problem may be

Well, since it ran with sound and music, the problem isn't VDMSound.
[B]

Probably, although you may need one of the hacks/patches out there for "real" DOS access.
[B]

No, it's probably not a VDMSound config problem. SoundFX works in a different way, IIRC it was more of a wrapper than an emulator.

In any case, here's apost from a couple of years ago where Vlad points out the differences between the two:
EDIT: Update. GOOGLE link not working...I'll just repost it..

...in the games I tried on Win2k (e.g. Sam & Max, Indiana Jones, since we are talking Lucas Arts) VDMSound was the same as, or b […]
Show full quote

...in the games I tried on Win2k (e.g. Sam & Max, Indiana Jones, since we are talking Lucas Arts) VDMSound was the same as, or better than, SoundFX 2000 (Feb. 2001 version). This is not only in terms of lipsync (which is the same for the two and is not due to the emulator(s) but rather to latency in the DirectSound drivers), but for instance in Indiana Jones SoundFX cut the sound after every second of audio, while with VDMSound 2.0.4 I could go on and on for minutes. 😀 Maybe at the time you tried an older version of VDMSound that used WaveOut instead of DirectSound?

Strong points of VDMSound (in my biased opinion)... 😀

- VDMSound is fully configurable, I can reduce or increase sound latency if I want, I can change MIDI maping, etc., and everything on a per-game basis (i.e. I don't have to reconfigure the emulator for every game I run if some settings work better with a game than with another).

- VDMSound gives you full control over MIDI mapping; SoundFX tries to be smart and autodetect GM or MT-32, but it will fail to detect MT-32 if the game does not send SysEx messages and will completely screw up the music for those games (and there is nothing I can do about it!) Moreover, I have a MT-32, and I can't play my Lucas Arts and Sierra games with SoundFX at all because SoundFX assumes I have a GM device, and it therefore screws up my music all the time!!!

- VDMSound supports both DirectSound and WaveOut output; I can use DirectSound by default on Win2k for lowest sound latency and, on NT4, where DirectSound has a 1-second latency (!), I can use WaveOut instead (I have an NT4 machine at home and at work, and Impulse Tracker with SoundFX is torture because of the DirectSound latency). - I can use VDMSound to save the sound to disk if I want to, on top of playing it back through the speakers. 😀

- VDMSound's newest joytsick support (available in the next release or upon request on the VDMSound forum) lets you fully customize how you map your josytick axis and buttons to the emulated analogue and digital inputs.

- AdLib emulation: SoundFX is 100% hopeless unless you have AdLib in hardware (which is not the case in new soundcards); the AdLib generated by SoundFX is pathetic to say the least, it breaks, it's chunky, etc. VDMSound's AdLib emulation (from the MAME project) is the best there is. 😀

- I can run any DOS game with sound in two mouse clicks from Explorer as soon as VDMSound is installed, I don't have to set the BLASTER variable, configure memory settings in .pif files, etc., it's all done automatically. 😀

- VDMSound doesnt cost a dime, and you can even look at the sourcecode if you want -- for free, too. 😀

Whew!...

Weak points of VDMSound...

- direct DAC is not implemented, even though it's not performing well in SoundFX either (but it's not SoundFX's fault).

- ???

BTW, I found that "Blood Bowl" when run in DosBox, seems to behave properly with synched music and animation. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with the "ripped" version. The "rip" dies instantly, taking DosBox down with it.