VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm just curious,
you know how theres supposed to be music playing before the game starts.
is there a way to get wolf3d sound to work outside of DOSbox?

Also curious, whats the name of that nazi song that plays before the game starts?

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 2 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Duffman I'm just curious,
you know how theres supposed to be music playing before the game starts.
is there a way to get wolf3d sound to work outside of DOSbox?

Yes. Use VDMSound. You may have to use Advanced option to change VDMSound's emulation to "SoundBlaster Pro" or earlier to get the proper FM music/sound effects. This is because a lot of Apogee titles try to use OPL3 for FM audio and that's not working in VDMSound yet...

Also curious, whats the name of that nazi song that plays before the game starts?

"Horst Wessel Lied"

From question 2.12 "WHAT ARE THOSE MUSIC TUNES IN WOLFENSTEIN?" in the FAQ at http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/faq.htm

There's also an OpenGL port available, but at 400MHz, I'm not sure how well it would run.

Reply 3 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

There's also an OpenGL port available, but at 400MHz, I'm not sure how well it would run.

Quite well. Tried on a K62/3-400mhz with a GF4MX and a GFX 5200 on an Apollo MVP3. Ran good even with the Texture Pack.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DosFreak Quite well. Tried on a K62/3-400mhz with a GF4MX and a GFX 5200 on an Apollo MVP3.

Originally posted by HunterZ Yeah 400MHz is plenty fast for OpenGL ports of old DOS games.

I'll take your word for it for the games, but honestly, I don't think 400MHz is enough for the OS alone...

Reply 6 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

I'll take your word for it for the games, but honestly, I don't think 400MHz is enough for the OS alone...

I don't know about 400, but 450 runs XP just fine if you turn off all the frills and make it look like Win2K (and turn off extra services and whatnot as well). I think having a good hard disk, lots of RAM (I have 512MB), and a good video card makes a lot of difference.

I ran Doomsday on my PIII-550 yesterday (same stats as above except for the CPU) and I was able to push it up to 1280x1024 before I noticed the framerate drop significantly below 60 (still stayed above 30 though).

Reply 7 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ I don't know about 400, but 450 runs XP just fine if you turn off all the frills and make it look like Win2K (and turn off extra services and whatnot as well). I think having a good hard disk, lots of RAM (I have 512MB), and a good video card makes a lot of difference.

Yes, I know, but even with everything set to minimum, I found it somewhat sluggish on an AMD running at 800MHz.

Reply 8 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's really weird. I haven't found it sluggish at all (seriously - I'd be the first to complain if it was). Maybe it's because it was an AMD, or perhaps the bottleneck was elsewhere?

Reply 9 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It all depends on what your used to. Of course it's gonna be sluggish, it's 400mhz on an 2k/XP machine! But still quite useable...depending on what your going to do with it anyway. 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline