VOGONS

MT-32 emulation

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 120 of 148, by Kari Salminen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey canadacow, how are the PCM partial numbers matching up? Any luck yet? We tried matching up the PCM partial numbers with a friend of mine. We didn't quite complete it and we also succesfully crashed Windows and lost the text we were making (Makes me wonder why we didn't save the file at all during the matching up...).

I used my LAPC-I (The ISA card version of MT-32 + some effect samples that aren't in MT-32, probably something like a helicopter sound etc.) for the comparing of samples and the Acoustic Piano PCM sample on my LAPC-I sounded very weird, like a sample of someone knocking on a door or something. I just wonder if I got everything right. Matching up the samples wasn't always easy and we didn't get all matched up before the crash either. The program I used for controlling the LAPC-I was Ginosoft's "The LA Synth Editor and Librarian for Windows" from http://www.xs4all.nl/~giovanni/midisoft.html. Hopefully you'll have more luck matching up the PCM partial numbers.

---
Kari Salminen

Reply 121 of 148, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I've been using the same software. Right now has really been a stressful time as I'm now transitioning from graduate school to a full time job so I've had little time to work on the MT-32. What work I have done has been in the area of making it into a WDM/DirectMusic device (which hasn't been as easy as I thought it would... some of MS's examples don't even compile right in their intended environments). I'll keep everyone posted.

Reply 123 of 148, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I'm using Microsoft's DDK to create a device driver for the MT-32. I was having trouble compiling their sources but now I've gotten it to work. I've even got a VMWare environment I'm using to test the driver.

Reply 125 of 148, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, that would be all fine and well if I had complete documentation. Since I don't the best I have is to compare my MT-32 side-by-side with my emulated code. The easiest way to do this is by controlling parameters and seeing the results. I can't do this very easily in DosBox as the only L/A synth editor in DOS doesn't work in DosBox. As such, I am left using windows software to edit patches. As such, I need my emulator to be a windows device driver as well.

Reply 126 of 148, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover Seems to me that step one would be to get the thing actually emulating properly, then make it into a emulated device, but hey, whatever.

Well, feedback from a usable program will probably help speed up development.

Reply 128 of 148, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Canadacow, I think that whatever you feel helps you to make progress on your work is the best course of action for you to take in this project. I'm just happy to see the amount of progress that has been made so far as a result of your dedication and am eager to see future developments. Good luck!

Reply 129 of 148, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by canadacow Not sure I quite follow. What are you suggesting?

Feedback from users helps the same way Beta-testers help. IOW, someone may be tinkering with your emulation and be able to find a detail you may have missed, then give you that info...

Reply 130 of 148, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow... long time no post. I have forgotten about the MT-32 emulator. Infact, I've made some pretty significant progress by comparing the output of my MT-32 side-by-side with my emulator. I've got the envelope timing down and I have the filter down. Slowly I've been getting the PCM samples in order. Anyway, I say all this because there's going to be a big update in the next few days.

Reply 132 of 148, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
canadacow wrote:

I can't do this very easily in DosBox as the only L/A synth editor in DOS doesn't work in DosBox.

How doesn't it work ?
Fixable or really completely broken ?

A link to the program or so ?
😀
Peter

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 133 of 148, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Qbix: Nah... a later version fixed the problem. Nevermind my post.

There's finally a new version of my emulator. This is very listenable. Still not as clean as the real thing, but its getting really, really close. Enjoy. Let me know how you think its coming along. Just so everyone knows, the drum patches are still being simulated. I have the sysex info but have yet to code them into the emulator. Wanted the analogue synthesis to be perfected first. Have fun. Oh yeah... the stuff is at:

http://www.artworxinn.com/alex

Reply 134 of 148, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm... okay, I downloaded the binary you have on the site, and took it for a spin with Monkey Island 1&2, Loom (with Roland upgrade), and Space Quest 3. All three of them seem to have the same problem, which is that every note is really, REALLY out of tune.

As the MP3 sample you have on your site sounds right, I suspect this is something I've managed to mess up on my end. Any idea what could be going wrong? I'm using the version you provided with all the default settings. The Roland instruments are definitely playing, just at awful discordant pitches.

Reply 138 of 148, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lalalala..... another day, another update. Its getting better all the time. The reverb is sounding much better these days (though its static... soon to change as I get the parameters correct). I'm having a little trouble with the pitch LFO and some PCM samples repeating. I need to clean up the sound a little bit more too. Anyway, I'm still making progress. As always, grab the binary or source at:

http://www.artworxinn.com/alex

For any of those looking at the source... I appologize. Its starting to become a real mess. Once I'm confident I've coded things right I'll start cleaning it up.

Reply 139 of 148, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lalala... new version out tonight. As always... I'm still inching my way closer to that original MT-32 sound. There are only a few final parameters that I need to nail down before it sounds right. I think I'm getting pretty close now, doesn't everyone agree? (Or should I just quit now and accept defeat?)

Still at the same ol' location: http://www.artworxinn.com/alex